Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 10:50 PM

13,278 posts, read 7,316,697 times

Advertisements

Trump wants courts to block states from processing ballots after election day? What does that mean on Midnight November 3rd all ballots that are not counted are just tossed out? If I remember correctly Trump won in 2016 by ballots still being counted the next day.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...on-day-2020-10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 10:55 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Trump wants courts to block states from processing ballots after election day? What does that mean on Midnight November 3rd all ballots that are not counted are just tossed out? If I remember correctly Trump won in 2016 by ballots still being counted the next day.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...on-day-2020-10
We have a sitting president who doesn’t even know how the electoral process that got him elected works. It is truly sad. But hey, in contrast to his ignorant diatribe and clearly unconstitutional wish, SCOTUS said ballots postmarked by Nov 3rd and received up to 9 days after Nov 3rd can still be counted in NC! Yay for voter rights!

Old 10-28-2020, 11:01 PM

21,145 posts, read 19,722,567 times
I do to. Any ballots not turned in by 8pm (or whatever time voting ends) should not be counted.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:03 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I do to. Any ballots not turned in by 8pm (or whatever time voting ends) should not be counted.
Postmarked by 8 pm -- which means they may not reach their 'district' until the next day and therefore may take longer to count.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:05 PM

10,534 posts, read 6,167,855 times
Nobody cares what Trump says.

It's all his usual bluster.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:18 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
We never have official results election night. Just “fake news” projections. Takes states weeks to actually certify results. Mail-in ballots from mail-in states, absentee, military overseas have just needed to be postmarked by Election Day. Meaning they’re not received for days or even weeks later with overseas military. This is just a suppression attempt.

Old 10-28-2020, 11:24 PM

3,306 posts, read 1,347,359 times
Someone should tell Trump: hey, theoretically, counties can count ballots starting with mail ballots, then in person early votes, and then in person nov 3rd votes last. Whatever they don’t get to by midnight...poof, burn bin. See how much he changes his tunes then! lol

Old 10-28-2020, 11:41 PM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
In my opinion, all ballots completed in person (meaning in a voting booth) or dropped into an on-site box should be counted by midnight of the day after Election Day at the latest; and all mailed ballots should be counted by no later than midnight on November 9th (one week after the November 2 mail-in deadline). In fact, in future years, I would like to see a rule that all mailed and absentee ballots must be post-marked by October 25th (even though I would personally hate that due to late-breaking news/scandals such as what is going on this year) so that these could be counted by midnight of the day following Election Day, also. In my opinion, there is absolutely NO good reason or excuse why the results should be delayed for more than a day except for those states where there is less than a 1.0-point difference between the two main candidates (to allow for a recount) -- and if a candidate has at least 270 Electoral College votes even without the votes of that state (or states) where the race is that tight, I think that the winner should be declared as soon as that 270 count is reached.

I also think that NO projections should be made for ANY state until at least 90% of the votes for that state have been counted. I admit that I truly hate it when state projections are made almost as soon as the polls close -- and especially when some states voting booths are still open! That is a MAJOR irritation to me.

Last edited by katharsis; 10-28-2020 at 11:59 PM..

Old 10-29-2020, 12:03 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
I have a sneaky feeling no matter who wins...the other will NOT accept or acknowledge it...and they may even stand up to fight, Im also wondering if they will instruct their loyal followers to take action as well.

Old 10-29-2020, 12:07 AM

606 posts, read 354,992 times
That’s impossible since some states are not even allowed to begin counting mail in ballots until AFTER polls close in their states, no matter how early the ballot got there. It’s not even a question of postmarking. Some states literally hold ballots for weeks and have to start the count late at night after polls close.

So I guess, if he’s saying what I think he’s saying, he wants any mail in ballots not counted by midnight to be tossed—even if the ballot has been sitting there for weeks and the voter did their part to mail it in well in advance and the timing of the count is no fault of their own? That’s complete BS if that’s what he’s saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies