Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 09:46 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,088,791 times

Advertisements

NO. But I would RAISE the age to vote to at least 25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Why not have a wealth requirement too? You must have assets of $400,000.00 to vote.

Or, you must be a property owner.

Gee, I can think of a lot of restrictions. Unfortunately, I am all for everyone voting, rich or poor, young or old.
I would have some or all of these requirements to vote:

Average IQ or higher
Property owner
Not on welfare
Born in America
27 years old or older

Some or all of the above should have been written into the Constitution by the Founders.

Old 11-05-2020, 09:53 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,301,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
No one over 80, no one under 22 for the same reason-they pay minimal taxes and don't have the knowledge to contribute.
I would say the elderly have an incredible depth and wealth of knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
Green party.. I'm good with. I appreciate a strong third vantage point. As a conservative I haven't agreed with my party; more-or-less a third of the time. Also- I've been completely appalled a third of the time with Democrats. Opportunities should be created, heard, and Trailblazed. Again a third party wouldn't bother a bit.
Third parties have greatly altered presidential elections in the U.S. for the last 40 years. Third party candidates gave us Bill Clinton (twice) and George W. Bush, probably more that I can't think of. Voting Libertarian this election in several states just insured that Biden would win that state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
I disagree. As a vet who went to Iraq for the first time at age 19, I don't think you can ask young Americans to go to war and then not allow them to vote.
We don't "ask" young Americans to go to war. They volunteer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Used to be just land owners could vote. This just another way for conservatives/reactionaries to limit the vote in their decided favor.
I get the point of just people with land being able to vote. It is the old story of four wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Old 11-05-2020, 09:53 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post

Average IQ or higher
Property owner
Not on welfare
Born in America
27 years old or older

Some or all of the above should have been written into the Constitution by the Founders.
Are you suggesting that we should prevent the Trump voters from exercising their rights?

Old 11-05-2020, 09:58 PM

Quote:

Average IQ or higher
Property owner
Not on welfare
Born in America
27 years old or older

Forgot one: gainfully employed. That sort if goes with mustn't be on welfare.

Old 11-05-2020, 10:00 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,485,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The problem is that seniors already "have theirs" as they're (mostly) retired and living on 401k/pension and SS plus Medicare. So they don't have the vested interest in the public policy that those of us under retirement age have
No, we have vested interests in many public policies. For example, the environment; infrastructure; the war machine; government intrusion into our lives; personal decisions best made by the person involved, not the government; tax codes; health care; etc. We also have several small businesses so are taxed by state and feds.

Old 11-05-2020, 10:05 PM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
On TV a few days ago I saw an interview with an 80+ year old waiting in line to vote. Likely this dude will be dead before anything enacted will make any difference in his life.
I think anyone whose timeline doesn't extend past his own personal death should be barred from voting. The people who vote for reasons other than personal benefit are the ones who should be voting. So, no, you have it perfectly backward.

Seriously -- you want to tell all the billions of future humans that your little hedonistic desires for the next 40 take precedence over their well-being. Do you really think that's right?

Old 11-05-2020, 10:39 PM

1,517 posts, read 541,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Death should be the cutoff age

Best answer

Old 11-05-2020, 11:51 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,594,827 times
Quote:

Average IQ or higher
Property owner
Not on welfare
Born in America
27 years old or older

Too bad the natives that owned America before it got stolen from them didn't have the same requirements, right?

Gotta luv the genocide of the red man, right?

Old 11-06-2020, 12:04 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Ah, this again, leftists hate democracy when it does not go their way, look to restrict people who vote, just like they did with Brexit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies