Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2020, 12:15 AM

3,672 posts, read 2,755,464 times

Advertisements

On TV a few days ago I saw an interview with an 80+ year old waiting in line to vote. Likely this dude will be dead before anything enacted will make any difference in his life.

Should we have a cutoff age to vote?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2020, 01:00 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,103,005 times
To take voting rights from people over 80 you'd need a constitutional amendment to override the 14th. Not gonna happen.

Old 11-05-2020, 01:15 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,528,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyRUMad View Post
On TV a few days ago I saw an interview with an 80+ year old waiting in line to vote. Likely this dude will be dead before anything enacted will make any difference in his life.

Of course not, but there should be a cutoff age for Presidents and Judges.

Old 11-05-2020, 02:37 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,305,709 times
Quote:
On TV a few days ago I saw an interview with an 80+ year old waiting in line to vote. Likely this dude will be dead before anything enacted will make any difference in his life. Should we have a cutoff age to vote?
You were fine with an 87 year old SCOTUS justice, I bet you are good with the 82 year old SCOTUS justice and just voted for a man who will be 80 two years into his presidency. So no.

I do think we need to raise the age back up to 21 though. The rationale back in the day was, "if you can be drafted and sent to Vietnam, then you should be able to vote".

Well the draft is gone, Vietnam is gone and you can stay in your PJs in Mom's basement and on her health insurance until you are 26. Current research shows a boy/man in 2019 didn't reach the maturity of an 18 year old in 1940 until 24 or 25 now. We've infantilized several generations of American males now.

Old 11-05-2020, 03:12 AM

27,213 posts, read 13,502,497 times
Quote:

You mean should you curtail freedoms.

You have politicians and supreme court judges that are around 80 plus, so wwhy should ordinary citizens be prevented from voting.

Old 11-05-2020, 08:32 AM

36,577 posts, read 30,915,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
You were fine with an 87 year old SCOTUS justice, I bet you are good with the 82 year old SCOTUS justice and just voted for a man who will be 80 two years into his presidency. So no.

I do think we need to raise the age back up to 21 though. The rationale back in the day was, "if you can be drafted and sent to Vietnam, then you should be able to vote".

Well the draft is gone, Vietnam is gone and you can stay in your PJs in Mom's basement and on her health insurance until you are 26. Current research shows a boy/man in 2019 didn't reach the maturity of an 18 year old in 1940 until 24 or 25 now. We've infantilized several generations of American males now.
Maybe that is because we dont encourage them to be independent thinkers and and let them mature into adults. Taking away yet another right or civil responsibility isnt going to move young people in the right direction.

IMO when a person is emancipated upon reaching legal age they should have all the rights as well as responsibilities of adults and that includes voting. As well I believe every adult citizen deserves the right to vote regardless of education, mental capacity, or age. We are all affected by the actions of our leaders and legislators in one way or another.

Old 11-05-2020, 08:36 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,040,953 times
Quote:

Nope. But I'm wondering if we should just not let people vote if they haven't registered by the time they're 80. As many stories as we've heard of 100 year olds that have never voted but are now because "Orangemanbad"

Old 11-05-2020, 08:39 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,734,856 times
My grandmother is 92 and still active and very interested in politics. She deserves her vote just as much as a 24-year-old or a 49-year-old (who could conceivably die in a car accident, from cancer, or from a heart attack before the next election anyway).

Old 11-05-2020, 08:40 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,734,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Nope. But I'm wondering if we should just not let people vote if they haven't registered by the time they're 80. As many stories as we've heard of 100 year olds that have never voted but are now because "Orangemanbad"
So what? Maybe some elderly are pro-Trump and voted for him for the first time. Once someone is 18, they can vote in every election until they die (or are imprisoned as a felon or otherwise lose the right to vote).

Old 11-05-2020, 08:41 AM

18,741 posts, read 7,627,289 times
Quote:

Yes. 18.

Why am I not surprised that once again we have a liberal trying to find ways to prevent people from voting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies