Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 01:06 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
I sure enjoyed Killeen and Fort Hood back in the late 80's and early 90's. It's changed. Definitely a hood now.
I kinda enjoyed it for 6 months in 1991, but that's because we had the place to ourselves and everyone stationed there went off to Desert Storm. I agree with the OP, it was a craphole back then, and from what I'm seeing about all those unsolved murders there, it's a really bad craphole now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 01:07 PM

8,634 posts, read 10,155,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, that’s horse has left the barn. The Confederates have too go. Sorry. They fought for the wrong country.

Killeen was a dump back then too. It’s always been a hole.

My Uncle lived in Lampasas and drove in everyday rather than live in the greater Killeen area. Killeen was nothing but boob bars, pawn shops, check cashing joints and run down stores.

And when I last visited only months ago, it was actually BETTER, but still a complete wasteland like it’s always been. Luckily, Hood has so many good facilities for the troops that if you live on Fort, you really don’t need to go to Killeen/Harker Heights for much of anything.

Yeah, all that needs to go. In time...In due time.
Maybe a dump, but still had redeeming qualities - the locals. I remember when City Lights was actually a fun place to go to. My friend Mel used to DJ there (an Tremors) when I was stationed at Hood. He was actually Obama's Dj for his inauguration in 2012.

Bio — DJ Mel ®

On a side note, I was right down the street the day George Hennard sadly shot up the Luby's. What a horrible day that was.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:10 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Maybe a dump, but still had redeeming qualities - the locals. I remember when City Lights was actually a fun place to go to. My friend Mel used to DJ there when I was stationed at Hood. He was actually Obama's Dj for his inauguration in 2012.

Bio — DJ Mel ®

On a side note, I was right down the street the day George Hennard sadly shot up the Luby's. What a horrible day that was.
I too was deployed to Hood the day of the Luby's massacre. I remember that. I tended to frequent a bar outside of Hood named Cody's, ever heard of it? The guy-girl ratio was in my favor for a change, as all their boyfriends were across the pond.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:15 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,416,359 times
Out of all the Confederate this and that talk, the one baffling thing to me is why there are US military bases named after them.

At that, I think at a minimum, they should change the name to at least a MOH winner or some other distinguished military person, that was in the US military and not the CSA or some adversarial force against the US.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:16 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
I’m for it. We should name our installations after honorable service members, not traitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Go look what the British name their capital ships. Aside from Royalty, they all call ships names like:
Courageous, Eagle, Hermes, Illustrious, Implacable, Colossus, Majestic, Audacious, Invincible.

I like that.
That’s a decent idea but we don’t need to follow the British.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:19 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
To pole African Americans in the eye and to make it clear that they’d not only stick to lost cause mythology, but that North Carolina would NEVER change its segregationist stance. It had little to nothing to do with Bragg himself who was pathetic.
That's not how it Ft. Bragg name was chosen. Seems like renaming things are the eye poking.
https://history.army.mil/faq/naming-...army-posts.htm

Quote:
Major General William J. Snow, the Chief of Field Artillery, recommended to the chief of staff the names for two new field artillery cantonments. Snow’s two criteria for names were that they be of a distinguished field artilleryman and short. For one in Kentucky, Snow chose Revolutionary War artillery officer Henry Knox, a Massachusetts native who later became Secretary of War. For one in North Carolina, he selected North Carolina native Braxton Bragg, who had distinguished himself as a battery commander in the Mexican War, resigned his U.S. Army commission in 1856, and joined the Confederate army in 1861. The chief of staff accepted Snow’s recommendations.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:20 PM

8,634 posts, read 10,155,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I too was deployed to Hood the day of the Luby's massacre. I remember that. I tended to frequent a bar outside of Hood named Cody's, ever heard of it? The guy-girl ratio was in my favor for a change, as all their boyfriends were across the pond.
Too funny lol.

I don't know if I remember that Cody's place. I looked it up online and it appears the address is in the same location where Starlight Station or something like that used to be - maybe it moved. I spent more weekends in Austin (usually Lizard Lounge/Numbers/404, Curfew/Mirage, Backstreet/Basics) than I did in Killeen, but when there, it was usually City Lights, City Cafe or Tremors.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:28 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,679,394 times
George Washington was a traitor as well. He took an oath and broke it. Time to rewrite all of history.

I have no problem renaming Ft. Hood and Benavidez looks like a worthy candidate. However, demonizing everyone from the past that doesn't fit into our modern PC/woke culture is just ridiculous. Study history in detail from the perspective of the time of the people that were there. You'll see good, you'll see bad, and you'll see a lot of gray.

I don't see it as beneficial to hate our ancestors because they don't fit into our modern culture.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:29 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
I’m for it. We should name our installations after honorable service members, not traitors.

That’s a decent idea but we don’t need to follow the British.
Don't be so hasty, we could name the ships after American Royalty!!!

The USS Beyonce, USS Elvis, ooooh we could name a submarine the USS Lohan.

"Today Naval Task Forces Beyonce and Elvis joined in bombarding Syria during Operation Hunka Burnin' Love."

Old 11-12-2020, 01:30 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Out of all the Confederate this and that talk, the one baffling thing to me is why there are US military bases named after them.

At that, I think at a minimum, they should change the name to at least a MOH winner or some other distinguished military person, that was in the US military and not the CSA or some adversarial force against the US.
It's just tradition that all Civil War veterans are considered veterans of war not traitors or enemies for picking a side. The US was founded by Patriot "traitors". Army helicopters and other weaponry are named after Indians who fought against the US and going back further than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies