Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 01:30 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
George Washington was a traitor as well. He took an oath and broke it. Time to rewrite all of history.

I have no problem renaming Ft. Hood and Benavidez looks like a worthy candidate. However, demonizing everyone from the past that doesn't fit into our modern PC/woke culture is just ridiculous. Study history in detail from the perspective of the time of the people that were there. You'll see good, you'll see bad, and you'll see a lot of gray.

I don't see it as beneficial to hate our ancestors because they don't fit into our modern culture.
That's probably why the British don't have any bases named after George Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 01:31 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Too funny lol.

I don't know if I remember that Cody's place. I looked it up online and it appears the address is in the same location where Starlight Station or something like that used to be - maybe it moved. I spent more weekends in Austin (usually Lizard Lounge/Numbers/404, Curfew/Mirage, Backstreet/Basics) than I did in Killeen, but when there, it was usually City Lights, City Cafe or Tremors.
6th Street in Austin? One of my favorite places ever! (Touloose and Maggie Mae's, two I can remember) and I have to say, I saw more beautiful co-eds in Austin than any other college town I've ever been to.

Cody's was a country western bar, before everyone shipped out there were 3 guys to every girl, once everyone left, it was 1-1.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:32 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Maybe a dump, but still had redeeming qualities - the locals. I remember when City Lights was actually a fun place to go to. My friend Mel used to DJ there (an Tremors) when I was stationed at Hood. He was actually Obama's Dj for his inauguration in 2012.

Bio — DJ Mel ®

On a side note, I was right down the street the day George Hennard sadly shot up the Luby's. What a horrible day that was.
True. It’s at least in the Texas Hill Country...and that really is the most charming area of Texas.

Actually, it’s the ONLY charming area of Texas now that I think about it. Well, Big Bend Country too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Out of all the Confederate this and that talk, the one baffling thing to me is why there are US military bases named after them.

At that, I think at a minimum, they should change the name to at least a MOH winner or some other distinguished military person, that was in the US military and not the CSA or some adversarial force against the US.
Americans have a weird fascination with Confederate Generals for some strange reason. I don’t get it. The legit badasses of the war generalship was on OUR side, not theirs.

The Confederacy had no equals to Grant and Sherman in any of their commands. Those two distinguished themselves far and above their contemporaries.

The largest Forts should be named for them, yet no large installations have their names...and that’s an embarrassment to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
I’m for it. We should name our installations after honorable service members, not traitors.

That’s a decent idea but we don’t need to follow the British.
Indeed.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:35 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Don't be so hasty, we could name the ships after American Royalty!!!

The USS Beyonce, USS Elvis, ooooh we could name a submarine the USS Lohan.

"Today Naval Task Forces Beyonce and Elvis joined in bombarding Syria during Operation Hunka Burnin' Love."
That’s hilarious! Hahaha!

Old 11-12-2020, 01:36 PM

15,848 posts, read 6,547,612 times
Naming the fort after a courageous and honorable man who served his country well? Sounds good to me.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:38 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,876,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's probably why the British don't have any bases named after George Washington.
Britain had its own Civil wars throughout history they memorialize or don't as they choose. The US Civil War is not considered the 2nd Revolutionary War.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:38 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

The Confederacy had no equals to Grant and Sherman in any of their commands. Those two distinguished themselves far and above their contemporaries.
The Confederacy was blessed with brilliant leadership. They did far more, with far less. The U.S. could have very well had to sue for peace were it not for someone like Grant. McClellan was a brilliant organizer, but had no appetite for combat, and therefore victory. Grant had the men and material superiority, and he used them both up as fast as he could. Stonewall Jackson and Jeb Stuart invented modern guerilla warfare. There was no better tactician than Lee, Grant and Sherman included.

A side note: I went to Ft. McClellan, AL. for Basic Training, a based named after a Union General deep in the Confederacy.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:40 PM

8,634 posts, read 10,155,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
6th Street in Austin? One of my favorite places ever! (Touloose and Maggie Mae's, two I can remember) and I have to say, I saw more beautiful co-eds in Austin than any other college town I've ever been to.

Cody's was a country western bar, before everyone shipped out there were 3 guys to every girl, once everyone left, it was 1-1.
Lizard Lounge, Numbers and 404 were at 404 Colorado, where Curfew (then Mirage) was is now Recess Arcade bar on Sixth, and Backstreet (then Basics) is where Ohms was after that on 7th st. I also went to Planetarium on 7th and Red River. That place is now Elysium. Those bars and clubs in Austin were always changing.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
That’s hilarious! Hahaha!
I have other suggestions but would prefer not to get banned for my sense of humor.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Britain had its own Civil wars throughout history they memorialize or don't as they choose. The US Civil War is not considered the 2nd Revolutionary War.
My point, fired upon but completely missed, remains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies