Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 02:30 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hood betrayed the US, sided with the CSA....is being honored by the US with a base name.

Washingon, betrayed the brits, sided with the US and is honored by the US.....but not the people that he betrayed.

Citing Washington as an excuse for Hood is thus an illogical comparison and why I asked if the Brits had a base named after Washington because that would be the equivalent.

Your comments addressed other things but not the core point that the Washington-Hood argument is logically DOA.
OK that's fine. My view is that had Britain won the Revolutionary War and decided to treat it as more of a Civil War and be lenient and for reconciliation and shown respect for figures like Washington that would been fine. And I think that is the mentality or sensitivity to what if the Patriots had lost and were treated harshly by Britain being applied to those who fought for the CSA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 02:32 PM

2,445 posts, read 1,068,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’m not so sure if it’ll happen, but I like the name change and Ray Benavidez’s military legacy. He’s certainly a worthy man to name a Texas fort after...seeing as how he’s also a native Texan.

Hood was a Confederate, not from Texas at all (he did serve in Pre-Civil War Texas however), and served in rebellion against the United States. So it just doesn’t make sense to name an installation after him.

Moreover, I like the idea of naming a Post after an enlisted man, being a former NCO myself.

In any case, I’m not sure what the hurdles will be in renaming a Post. Obvious it’ll have to be after Trump leaves, but that’ll be soon enough.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...outputType=amp
Leave it alone tired of changing names on things.

Old 11-12-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
But what if the MOH winner did something at some point in his life that someone would find offensive?

Or God forbid, voted for the wrong candidate?

Just name it after a place and end the madness.
Or just leave long standing names alone and end the madness.

Old 11-12-2020, 02:35 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Hey, whatever happened to that ship the British named after Hood? A little historical humor....

Old 11-12-2020, 02:36 PM

6,125 posts, read 3,351,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I wish we could, to be honest. But you and I both know we are way past that point as a country. Or whatever we have left that masquerades as a country.

Old 11-12-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I wish we could, to be honest. But you and I both know we are way past that point as a country. Or whatever we have left that masquerades as a country.
Yeah but I'm not going to agree to it and give in. Democrats and identity group activism are destroying the country step by step and while there's maybe no stopping it I'm not going to agree to the tiniest little step like this one.

Old 11-12-2020, 02:45 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Just saw this................

https://www.military.com/daily-news/...C=eb_201112.nl

Old 11-12-2020, 02:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
^^^Well said.

I have a relative lying in an unmarked grave in KY having walked there from IL to fight for the union. I'm not a fan of naming US bases etc. after military people from another country (CSA) that founght us.

Maybe we can have Fort Rommel?
Lol...I’m actually a big fan of Erwin Rommel. He’s my favorite WW2 General. Wish I could go back in time and fight against his Afrika Corps. I’m fascinated by that campaign.
Quote:
I think it is past time to rename all the bases that were named after confederate officers. I also think it’s past time to round up all the confederate monuments and put as many of them in museums as possible. They shouldn’t be destroyed or toppled, though.

But taking them out of the public square and putting them in a place where people can view them as a piece of history if they want to seems very reasonable.

The Stone Mountain memorial is very problematic and I’m not sure what to do about that. It shouldn’t be blown up, nor should it be allowed to stay as is.

We aren’t the ISIS caliphate where we must destroy every single artifact because it offends us.

As far as what the bases should be named, I’d just go with geographic names and leave it at that. They don’t have to be named after people.
It’s not about political correctness or anything such as that.

It is highly illogical to commemorate your enemies in this way. Hood killed thousands of Americans in his quest to keep slaves.

That’s offensive to anyone with a sense of decency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I would be all in with all army forts named after an army enlisted man who is an MOH winner from their state..........
Indeed.
Quote:
But what if the MOH winner did something at some point in his life that someone would find offensive?

Or God forbid, voted for the wrong candidate?

Just name it after a place and end the madness.
Benavidez is the perfect candidate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
If for no other reason.........Army enlisted men hardly ever get any recognition...........

I love how there are stories after stories about the brave pilots of hueys in vietnam........all officers. Hardly a word about the guys in the back covering their asses with a door gun..........
Tell me about it.,.

Old 11-12-2020, 03:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Nah. No can do. It’s time to stick a dagger in the Confederacy’s Lost Cause Mythology. It’s been allowed fo fester too long without opposition.

It all has to come down just like Jim Crow did. We can’t leave any vestiges of it laying around. This thing has to be made right.

Old 11-12-2020, 03:47 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,729,269 times
Fort Mackintosh, but which one - the Union General, or his brother, a Confederate General?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies