Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 01:51 PM

1,969 posts, read 544,702 times

Advertisements

probably should rename mt. hood too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 01:56 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
My point, fired upon but completely missed, remains.
What is your point that I supposedly missed?

Old 11-12-2020, 01:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
George Washington was a traitor as well. He took an oath and broke it. Time to rewrite all of history.

I have no problem renaming Ft. Hood and Benavidez looks like a worthy candidate. However, demonizing everyone from the past that doesn't fit into our modern PC/woke culture is just ridiculous. Study history in detail from the perspective of the time of the people that were there. You'll see good, you'll see bad, and you'll see a lot of gray.

I don't see it as beneficial to hate our ancestors because they don't fit into our modern culture.
Consider for a moment that there was no mechanization to pick cotton until the 1920’s...the South would’ve maintained slavery until AT LEAST then! Now of course, you don’t give a damn and you’re affording yourself this cavalier attitude towards the topic because it wouldn’t have affected YOU!

My ancestors however would’ve been deeply affected, and they’re all natives of the Deep South where slavery was super cruel. I can’t afford your insouciance. Sorry. I carry grudges, as I should.

Hood knew damn well what he was fighting for, and ALL SOUTHERNERS knew that the institution was evil, immoral, nihilistic, and cruel. None of them thought that what they were participating in was okay or justifiable on any grounds. They even twisted their Bibles in order to salve their consciences.

Enlightened men wrote a beautiful constitution in the 1700’s, so educated Generals knew damn well that slavery was wrong in the 1860’s, and chose to fight and kill thousands of Americans to preserve it. So the “men of their time” excuse doesn’t hold up. They were the opposite...cowards. Afraid to face the future without the cruel massive subjugation of human beings. And the rampant rapes, beatings, selling away of children or their parents was SURELY realized as an evil even THEN by the participants.

So their names need to be removed from our federal installations and other infrastructure and put in museums and books. But they should not be honored. And no black American should pay a single dime towards the maintenance of any monument or edifice named after these evildoers.

BTW...these men were NOT my ancestors; they were the dedicated tormentors of my ancestors.

Old 11-12-2020, 02:09 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
What is your point that I supposedly missed?
Hood betrayed the US, sided with the CSA....is being honored by the US with a base name.

Washingon, betrayed the brits, sided with the US and is honored by the US.....but not the people that he betrayed.

Citing Washington as an excuse for Hood is thus an illogical comparison and why I asked if the Brits had a base named after Washington because that would be the equivalent.

Your comments addressed other things but not the core point that the Washington-Hood argument is logically DOA.

Old 11-12-2020, 02:12 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Consider for a moment that there was no mechanization to pick cotton until the 1920’s...the South would’ve maintained slavery until AT LEAST then! Now of course, you don’t give a damn and you’re affording yourself this cavalier attitude towards the topic because it wouldn’t have affected YOU!

My ancestors however would’ve been deeply affected, and they’re all natives of the Deep South where slavery was super cruel. I can’t afford your insouciance. Sorry. I carry grudges, as I should.

Hood knew damn well what he was fighting for, and ALL SOUTHERNERS knew that the institution was evil, immoral, nihilistic, and cruel. None of them thought that what they were participating in was okay or justifiable on any grounds. They even twisted their Bibles in order to salve their consciences.

Enlightened men wrote a beautiful constitution in the 1700’s, so educated Generals knew damn well that slavery was wrong in the 1860’s, and chose to fight and kill thousands of Americans to preserve it. So the “men of their time” excuse doesn’t hold up. They were the opposite...cowards. Afraid to face the future without the cruel massive subjugation of human beings. And the rampant rapes, beatings, selling away of children or their parents was SURELY realized as an evil even THEN by the participants.

So their names need to be removed from our federal installations and other infrastructure and put in museums and books. But they should not be honored. And no black American should pay a single dime towards the maintenance of any monument or edifice named after these evildoers.

BTW...these men were NOT my ancestors; they were the dedicated tormentors of my ancestors.
^^^Well said.

I have a relative lying in an unmarked grave in KY having walked there from IL to fight for the union. I'm not a fan of naming US bases etc. after military people from another country (CSA) that founght us.

Maybe we can have Fort Rommel?

Old 11-12-2020, 02:12 PM

6,125 posts, read 3,351,401 times
I think it is past time to rename all the bases that were named after confederate officers. I also think it’s past time to round up all the confederate monuments and put as many of them in museums as possible. They shouldn’t be destroyed or toppled, though.

But taking them out of the public square and putting them in a place where people can view them as a piece of history if they want to seems very reasonable.

The Stone Mountain memorial is very problematic and I’m not sure what to do about that. It shouldn’t be blown up, nor should it be allowed to stay as is.

We aren’t the ISIS caliphate where we must destroy every single artifact because it offends us.

As far as what the bases should be named, I’d just go with geographic names and leave it at that. They don’t have to be named after people.

Old 11-12-2020, 02:13 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I don't want military bases or anything else ever renamed. It never ends. Renaming implies or expresses things were originally improperly named. Nothing was improperly named.
Well, there will be those like me who will call for military bases to be renamed. If it bothers you, it's not going to stop me.

Old 11-12-2020, 02:20 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Well, as a member of the fraternity, there’s really nothing to get mad about in this case. Ray Benavidez is one of ours and he’s solid. Plus he’s an enlisted man, which makes this potentially even sweeter.

Please, no. Don’t name a Fort after that dump. It’s bad enough when you get orders to go to Fort Hood. Don’t actually compound the problem by reminding people where it’s located. Having to move to the armpit of the Texas Hill Country is bad enough.
I would be all in with all army forts named after an army enlisted man who is an MOH winner from their state..........

Old 11-12-2020, 02:25 PM

6,125 posts, read 3,351,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I would be all in with all army forts named after an army enlisted man who is an MOH winner from their state..........
But what if the MOH winner did something at some point in his life that someone would find offensive?

Or God forbid, voted for the wrong candidate?

Just name it after a place and end the madness.

Old 11-12-2020, 02:29 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
But what if the MOH winner did something at some point in his life that someone would find offensive?

Or God forbid, voted for the wrong candidate?

Just name it after a place and end the madness.
If for no other reason.........Army enlisted men hardly ever get any recognition...........

I love how there are stories after stories about the brave pilots of hueys in vietnam........all officers. Hardly a word about the guys in the back covering their asses with a door gun..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies