Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2020, 10:38 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times

Advertisements

I’m not so sure if it’ll happen, but I like the name change and Ray Benavidez’s military legacy. He’s certainly a worthy man to name a Texas fort after...seeing as how he’s also a native Texan.

Hood was a Confederate, not from Texas at all (he did serve in Pre-Civil War Texas however), and served in rebellion against the United States. So it just doesn’t make sense to name an installation after him.

Moreover, I like the idea of naming a Post after an enlisted man, being a former NCO myself.

Quote:
That battle has also thrust Benavidez’s legacy into a reckoning over race in the United States, which has included calls to remove the names of Confederate officers from Army installations. Benavidez has become the most prominent candidate in a campaign to rename the Army’s largest post, Fort Hood, in Central Texas, after someone from the state.

Proponents have said renaming the post after Benavidez, the son of a Mexican American sharecropper and a Yaqui Indian mother, would also help draw attention to the contributions of minority service members, which have long been overlooked.
In any case, I’m not sure what the hurdles will be in renaming a Post. Obvious it’ll have to be after Trump leaves, but that’ll be soon enough.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...outputType=amp
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2020, 10:43 AM

2,040 posts, read 4,556,339 times
Maybe nothing should be named after people anymore. Who knows, 40 years from now, the new name might be controversial. How 'bout name them for flowers, geographical features, animals, etc.

Old 11-12-2020, 10:56 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Maybe nothing should be named after people anymore. Who knows, 40 years from now, the new name might be controversial. How 'bout name them for flowers, geographical features, animals, etc.
Every word of this. It’s ridiculous.

Old 11-12-2020, 11:51 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Yeah, well naming American forts after leaders of anti American rebellion leaders is the height of absurdity.

Maybe all the modern day pro Confederacy Organizations should rename themselves the Nat Turner Society.

Old 11-12-2020, 12:05 PM

26,500 posts, read 15,084,039 times
It is a bit silly to name US forts after Confederate traitors.

Old 11-12-2020, 12:08 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,678,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I’m not so sure if it’ll happen, but I like the name change and Ray Benavidez’s military legacy. He’s certainly a worthy man to name a Texas fort after...seeing as how he’s also a native Texan.

Hood was a Confederate, not from Texas at all (he did serve in Pre-Civil War Texas however), and served in rebellion against the United States. So it just doesn’t make sense to name an installation after him.

Moreover, I like the idea of naming a Post after an enlisted man, being a former NCO myself.

In any case, I’m not sure what the hurdles will be in renaming a Post. Obvious it’ll have to be after Trump leaves, but that’ll be soon enough.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...outputType=amp
Sounds like a great idea, we have to honor those who are actually worthy of our praise, Hood isn't in that group..

Old 11-12-2020, 12:10 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,375,883 times
Also need something easier to pronounce.

Old 11-12-2020, 12:15 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,782,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Every word of this. It’s ridiculous.
Go look what the British name their capital ships. Aside from Royalty, they all call ships names like:
Courageous, Eagle, Hermes, Illustrious, Implacable, Colossus, Majestic, Audacious, Invincible.

I like that.

Old 11-12-2020, 12:22 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
There is almost nothing you could name that people today will not take some offense to.

They're professionals at perpetual offense, Karens with nose rings.

Old 11-12-2020, 12:23 PM

5,347 posts, read 3,216,583 times
Or just use the obvious - Fort Killeen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies