Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2020, 02:06 AM

24,716 posts, read 9,518,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
The vaccine will work on the virus no matter.
Not true. Covid will be an annual vaccine because it’s already mutating, you know, kind of like the flu

Quote:
Covid-19 is more like seasonal viruses, like the cold or flu, for which we don’t retain long-term immunity. In that case, beating back the pandemic and keeping it back would require repeated vaccinations.
https://qz.com/1943301/how-long-will...rom-infection/

The vaccine was never going to be the golden gun solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 08:00 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,947,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Giving $600 now is like giving someone a mL vial of water after depriving them of water for days. It will be helpful for exactly 5 minutes before it evaporates into the piles of bills you are already behind on.

This $600 check makes no sense. What would really be helpful is give people back their jobs.
It doesn't make sense because it is impossible. A number of jobs have been cut by bankruptcy some others due to social... excuse me... physical distancing, some has been due to projects being put off due to Covid and the rest is due to lack of business due to Covid.

I agree $600 is throwing a bandage when a gause is needed. It should be $300 a week to every American or $600 a month, not a one time payment. $1,200 would barely break even with wages i lost due to the pandemic in the other two jobs I work (child care with almost three weeks canceled due to lack of interest and event security since there is a lack of events.) $600 does nothing. The only good thing is I should have more monyer from taxes since I made less taxable income that wasn't withheld.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:05 AM

4,303 posts, read 1,564,493 times
So if 328 million Americans get $600 (I know, not 328 will, but for argument's sake) that comes to $196 billion. Yet this is a $900 billion package. Where is the rest going?

Ah yes, the millionaires and corporations. The people really hurting during this pandemic.

The quicker people unite in this nation and take the parties to task, this is always how it's going to be.

Old 12-22-2020, 01:56 PM

8,279 posts, read 3,521,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wma152 View Post
People still believe in this food insecure , I can't pay rent crap?

They been claiming food insecure or I can't pay my rent since April.
Yet at that time, the unemployed were taking in more money while unemployed with the $600 weekly then if they were working. In some cases, some even double their salary.

How can they claim food insecure, or I can't pay my rent if they were taking in more money while unemployed?
That's why I don't believe anything these people claim they can't this or that.

If there's a free give away, people will come and get it regardless.
If there's a way people don't have to make a payment, people will stop paying.
Millions of people all over the country lost their jobs/income and never received a cent in unemployment. There are thousands who applied for unemployment back in March/April and never even heard anything. There are unknown many more who received unemployment just to have it cut off suddenly and be told they had to pay it all back.

Of those who received unemployment, only the very low income earners received more in unemployment than they were earning. Many received far less and fell behind in bills.

Old 12-22-2020, 02:09 PM

36,623 posts, read 30,953,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Millions of people all over the country lost their jobs/income and never received a cent in unemployment. There are thousands who applied for unemployment back in March/April and never even heard anything. There are unknown many more who received unemployment just to have it cut off suddenly and be told they had to pay it all back.

Of those who received unemployment, only the very low income earners received more in unemployment than they were earning. Many received far less and fell behind in bills.
What do you consider very low earners. If you made 16$/hr *40=$640/week less taxes =547. UE=$275/week (TN) = $600=$875/week. Even at $20/hr your going to make more with UE.

Old 12-22-2020, 03:02 PM

Quote:

Yes. Arizona has been HORRIBLE with payouts. Many have waited months and never had an update. That or were wrongfully accused of fraud and had their cases closed with no appeal and forced to pay back their money. Others only got it for one single week and thats it.

Old 12-22-2020, 03:42 PM

8,279 posts, read 3,521,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
What do you consider very low earners. If you made 16$/hr *40=$640/week less taxes =547. UE=$275/week (TN) = $600=$875/week. Even at $20/hr your going to make more with UE.
Around here people line up trying to get a minimum wage job, pre-covid. That's the usual income around here. Even some of the hourly managers are eligible for some welfare benefits.

But a lot of people around here never even had their unemployment claims processed. They kept calling trying to talk to someone about it. That was back in March/April. Here it is December and they never got a cent.

In areas of the country with higher cost of living, people made higher wages. Many of them ended up receiving less than what their usual income is even with the $600/week extra (if they received it). The $600/week ended in July. No one gets that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Yes. Arizona has been HORRIBLE with payouts. Many have waited months and never had an update. That or were wrongfully accused of fraud and had their cases closed with no appeal and forced to pay back their money. Others only got it for one single week and thats it.
Yes, Kentucky has been horrible as well. The media doesn't cover that much. TPTB want to make it seem like the unemployed aren't suffering.

The homeless population around here is much higher, even with the evictions supposedly being on hold. Winter is here, and the homeless shelter is still closed. There may be a lot of people freezing to death this winter. It used to be that the churches would set up warming stations during the winter, but they won't be doing that, either. There's far more people in danger from other things than COVID, but the restrictions are preventing them from receiving help. The help is no longer there.

People who did receive unemployment are being contacted and are expected to pay it back. Many of them are still without jobs.

Old 12-22-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Around here people line up trying to get a minimum wage job, pre-covid. That's the usual income around here. Even some of the hourly managers are eligible for some welfare benefits.

But a lot of people around here never even had their unemployment claims processed. They kept calling trying to talk to someone about it. That was back in March/April. Here it is December and they never got a cent.

In areas of the country with higher cost of living, people made higher wages. Many of them ended up receiving less than what their usual income is even with the $600/week extra (if they received it). The $600/week ended in July. No one gets that now.

Yes, Kentucky has been horrible as well. The media doesn't cover that much. TPTB want to make it seem like the unemployed aren't suffering.

The homeless population around here is much higher, even with the evictions supposedly being on hold. Winter is here, and the homeless shelter is still closed. There may be a lot of people freezing to death this winter. It used to be that the churches would set up warming stations during the winter, but they won't be doing that, either. There's far more people in danger from other things than COVID, but the restrictions are preventing them from receiving help. The help is no longer there.

People who did receive unemployment are being contacted and are expected to pay it back. Many of them are still without jobs.
Local networks are great but nationally there's only so much news to cover and a lot of the Covid stuff becomes a buried lead. Some of it is political twinge like using suicide and depression as a reason to reopen schools, often from many that don't comment on those issues in a serious manner outside of this. I hate opportunism and Covid had been an example on the entire spectrum.

Old 12-22-2020, 07:52 PM

724 posts, read 767,007 times
Quote:

Never heard back? Hmm. The DOL in most states were overwhelmed with applications and there was a big delay, but eventually it got caught up and people got paid.

Cut off suddenly? Hmm. I think you mean they made easier for anyone to get unemployment benefits. For the first time ever, even independent freelancers were allowed.

Only the very low income earners received more in UE? Yeah, keep making things up.

Bottomline, these people simply didn't pay because the gov't suspended eviction and payment.
If there was no such suspension, they would have easily been able to pay.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:07 PM

11,232 posts, read 8,324,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
who in the H keeps voting that woman in office..........
The above was in reply to a comment about how evil Pelosi is, blaming her for the small amount. Admittedly, I have not been following this so closely, but this is what it SOUNDS like to me.

1. Pelosi wanted more but R's said no.
2. Finally, biden conviced the Dems to take the smaller amount becuse "something is better than nothing" and R's really hold the power here.
3. Pelosi took the smaller amount, Which Trump said he'd sign the bill if presented to him.
4. Trump is not refusing to sign the bill, asking for more (which the Dems asked for and were declined) and blaming Pelosin and the Dems.

Who is playing politics today? And how do you come to that opinion?

And also, Trump was saying a lot about how much "other stuff" is in that bill. I think it's probably true, but how much is new spending, and how much of that is just stuff that was already precidence spending?

Just seems like Pelosi is not the only playing politics. Notice i didn't say she wasn't playing, just that she's not the only one. Are people willing to be honest that it's both sides, but that in this case both sides came together and Trump, renegging on his word, is NOW the hold-up. (Regardless of, and/or along with what transpired leading up to today)?

Discuss, and if you'd like to be taken serious on either side, then keep it civil and back with facts. Stay away from the "support my side at all costs mentality, if you can...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies