Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2020, 05:40 PM

612 posts, read 240,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
This has gone on long enough.

Throw out the entire Heros Act and get something done!
You are probably right on that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 05:42 PM

612 posts, read 240,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Made me sick when i read that Joel osteen received millions in PPP. meanwhile your neighbor who has a small taco place, is going to get killed and shut down. they will get fined $5,000 for having the gall to be open to serve humble tacos.

SO EFFIN RIDICULOUS!!!!
I know most things are done with good intentions and in this case was done in a rush, but it looks like this is turning out to be the biggest wealth redistribution from small business to big business in our history.

Old 12-17-2020, 10:17 AM

36,544 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
ummm....

Supposedly you boy Trump supports a second stimulus payment and for more than they're recommending...
And. You think he is going to say to congress and the American people not to include direct payments to individuals.
He can not force states or counties to do or not do anything concerning Covid so its not like though he supports business remaining open he can make that happen. And it is not Trump who is coming up with or voting on what is in the stimulus package. That is Congress.

So he is supporting as in not going to veto another stimulus package that members of congress can agree on and suggesting the direct payment should be more instead of the money going to extended increased UE, loans to large corporations, and pork.

I dont have a problem with that.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:02 PM

719 posts, read 762,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Pretty sure "food insecure" was a term invented because they know people in America do have food.

In America I believe almost no one needs to be hungry based upon what is currently in place.
There are food stamps, school lunch programs , etc.
My daughter receives some sort of food card just based upon the school district they live in.

Those that are hungry in America are sometimes the children of people who find ways to turn the food stamps into cash and buy drugs. Or adults who are either mentally ill or drug addicts.
Poverty and hunger in America is not anything like poverty and hunger in the world as a whole.
There is absolutely no hunger in this country, no actual fact to support it, other then people trying to promote their agenda due to their political beliefs. Real hunger is in africa and those little kids with rib bones sticking out.

All you see are overweight or obesse people in this country especially amongst the poor people, same people that's claiming
hunger. Yet they have money for iphone's or expensive clothes.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:08 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,963,798 times
Quote:
What is the disconnect?

All morning on the news, they've been showing pictures of people lined up at Food Banks...

They are talking about the fact that it's people who never thought they'd be there.

And, it's Christmas...

In Washington, they don't seem to get it - it's all about winning or losing - it's politics...

They don't care about us.
The politicians only serve the wealthy donor class.
We should be praying for their destruction.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:38 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,665,551 times
McConnell only going this far w/ a mere 600 bucks because of Georgia's elections. Then, he'll pat himself on his back and say "What a guy I am'! And, Merry Christmas.

Old 12-17-2020, 02:32 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,364,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
btw, the UE benefits weren't outrageous, but they were excessive. At least we agree (I think) that folks shouldn't get more to stay home than to work.

But shouldn't we try to pay them right at 100% of what they were earning if not for Covid?
Or better yet, dismantle the lockdowns and social mandates.

As well as the media not over-sensationalizing the deadliness of a virus with less than 1% fatality rate...

Old 12-17-2020, 06:22 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,049,604 times
I'm really sorry but denial is not the answer.

Covid has been a world wide pandemic...

Too many countries and too many people have been effected to try to say it's oversensationalized.... and to try to say we should just ignore it.

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-17-2020 at 06:30 PM..

Old 12-17-2020, 06:23 PM

3,163 posts, read 1,728,171 times
Quote:
What is the disconnect?

All morning on the news, they've been showing pictures of people lined up at Food Banks...

They are talking about the fact that it's people who never thought they'd be there.

And, it's Christmas...

In Washington, they don't seem to get it - it's all about winning or losing - it's politics...

They don't care about us.
Stop giving these handouts to people with jobs!! Giving it to unemployed people should be what any stimulus is for. If they didn’t work, they were most likely always poor. One handout wouldn’t make a difference.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:30 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,049,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
Stop giving these handouts to people with jobs!! Giving it to unemployed people should be what any stimulus is for. If they didn’t work, they were most likely always poor. One handout wouldn’t make a difference.
I'm not an economist but economists say that direct payments help the economy... quickly.

Another handout, as you say, another stimulus payment right now will probably go immediately back into the local economy -- which has been a big part of the bills that have stalled -- i.e., payments to local governments.

Give it to the people instead of bureaucrats and let the taxes on this money fuel the local economy - and their government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies