Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2020, 11:21 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Tuesday that the Senate will not leave Washington for the holidays until a coronavirus aid package is passed, saying he supports waiting until next year to tackle the most divisive issues to reach a deal.
Assuming yesterday, because he said the same thing LAST Tuesday as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Agreed.

First Stimulus payment was in April... that money is gone.

Stimulus payments are the fastest way to get money to people and back into the economy... per many conservative economists.

Call or email your representative and ask them to vote yes on the second stimulus bill if you support it.

It will be voted on this week as a stand alone bill.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/23/econ...ef-stands.html
would you please identify a few of the "many conservative economists" you mention, especially if that statement is based upon the article you linked?

Because this is the type of economist from the article:

Quote:
Now, a group of more than 125 economists including Jason Furman, a former top economic advisor to President Barack Obama, is calling for more direct cash payments to American families to help them weather the economic effects of the Covid-19 pandemic.

The initiative was organized by the Economic Security Project, an advocate of guaranteed income.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
Stimulus money needs to go directly to the people.

I hate these combined pork barrel bills that take forever.

Why can't they allocate the aid for the people.

THEN

work on another for businesses.

THEN

Another for State Aid

THEN

A vaccine bill and they can fight over liability,..etc,..

Take care of the people first, no pork strings attached. Then bicker over rest. At least we won't be scrambling in the meantime.
too simple apparently.

I would guess that the House majority saw it as a great time (early May panic) for them to come up with a snappy name (HEROES Act), pack it with everything any of them thought they might get away in an emergency and would "look good back home", and then were more than happy to claim politically for 5 months they had already done their part.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Don't know. It was my first and only experience getting food from food banks and it was an eye opener for me.

btw - Personally, I don't agree with food banks (or food stamps, either) being used to supply sugary snacks. These programs should not be subsidizing diabetes - it is a horrible and expensive disease. I personally think both of these programs should be more like WIC and only used for nutritious foods -- but that is a whole other debate and one I would probably lose. Giving people food that is bad for them isn't a good idea - again... IMHO.
Why would you lose?

Now, we do get a little partisan/political here. It seems to me that most R's would agree with you; that's basic nutritional guidance (science). Often we hear from D's that to restrict the benefit recipient would stigmatize them (mean nasty R's). But that IS my partisan view that I can admit to, but it's based on specific evidence.

I would like to make sure we do our best to help those who truly need help. That may be lifelong for a very small % (disabled), or it may be a month in the case of natural disaster. But in order to do that, you can't:

1. Say we need universal school meals https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/be...us/ar-BB1bdG7I

2. Say it's mean to expect able-bodied single adults to work more than they don't, not take food stamps https://georgiarecorder.com/2019/12/...ould-be-proud/

Old 12-16-2020, 12:25 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,049,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
would you please identify a few of the "many conservative economists" you mention, especially if that statement is based upon the article you linked?

Because this is the type of economist from the article:
127 signers on this letter.... maybe not conservative enough for you but I respect their credentials.

They recommend 2 more payments and they give reasons.

Open Letter From Economists For Stimulus Checks Until The Economy Recovers

https://www.economicsecurityproject....s-Nov-2020.pdf

There is a full list here. ^^^

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-16-2020 at 01:14 PM..

Old 12-16-2020, 12:44 PM

I didn't need you to paste the pdf list, or post a link to a near-duplicate copy of the same article. But it does seem to confirm your "many conservative economists" ar supposedly coming from that list.

As I quoted, the 127 signers are members of the Economic Security Project
Quote:
an advocate of guaranteed income.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
I didn't need you to paste the pdf list, or post a link to a near-duplicate copy of the same article. But it does seem to confirm your "many conservative economists" ar supposedly coming from that list.

As I quoted, the 127 signers are members of the Economic Security Project
They recommend 2 payments and they give reasons...

Did you read the letter?

of course, not.

As usual, you know more about everything than anyone else...

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-16-2020 at 12:59 PM..

Old 12-16-2020, 01:02 PM

Good news for the rest of us...

Would someone explain to Dick Durbin and the others that direct payments to individuals will support the local governments and achieve what they want to achieve???

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...?ocid=msedgntp

Old 12-16-2020, 01:13 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,037,455 times
The "Greatest Country In The World" has tons of decent people having to rely on food banks to eat, while the rich get richer!! Nice. Only the rich matter. When will americans wake up and realize: Your Country Sucks!!!!!! The sooner you realize what a dump america has become, the faster that maybe, things can turn around for hard-working Americans.

Old 12-16-2020, 01:17 PM

612 posts, read 240,708 times
Quote:
"Food lines on a scale not seen since the Great Depression are springing up across America, and official unemployment rolls suggest 22 million people are out of work, as pandemic restrictions hit small businesses and workforces of all kinds"....

Many people spent their small stimulus check on a mortgage or utility payments long ago, with 6.6 percent of mortgages now in delinquency. Critics of the Trump administration say he has not allowed Congress to distribute more financial aid, while Democrats continue to push stay-at-home orders and other mitigation measures....

“Covid-19 is potentially catastrophic for millions who are already hanging by a thread,” said Arif Husain, the program’s chief economist. “It is a hammer blow for millions more who can only eat if they earn a wage. Lockdowns and global economic recession have already decimated their nest eggs. It only takes one more shock — like Covid-19 — to push them over the edge. We must collectively act now to mitigate the impact of this global catastrophe.”

https://www.coreysdigs.com/u-s/ameri...od-lines-grow/
So again, why has Nancy Pelosi refused all deals presented to her for months now? All deals that would have sent much needed money to people. Why can't you answer this simple question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies