Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2020, 08:24 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,049,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I assume that was the intent of the 1200 stimulus payment, and that is great. I still dont feel the money was allocated wisely and that is why there are still so many folks hurting financially due to Covid. The powers that be did not prioritize those hit hardest.
Agreed.

First Stimulus payment was in April... that money is gone.

Stimulus payments are the fastest way to get money to people and back into the economy... per many conservative economists.

Call or email your representative and ask them to vote yes on the second stimulus bill if you support it.

It will be voted on this week as a stand alone bill.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/23/econ...ef-stands.html

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-16-2020 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 08:31 AM

8,773 posts, read 5,068,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
We can starve and they can go home on the 20th for a paid vacation.
pelosi brags about eating $25 a qt, ice cream. Why does she not donate that money, to food banks.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
pelosi brags about eating $25 a qt, ice cream. Why does she not donate that money, to food banks.
Why not just pass a bill?

Old 12-16-2020, 08:47 AM

36,543 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
You get dried beans here. Meat is a rarity. You are offered ground deer meat from "Share the Harvest"
Unfortunately, I don't like venison. I made dog treats from it.

I don't remember ever getting cheese from them.

And, meat from a slaughterhouse??? One time, I remember getting some end cuts of ham.

I don't think the frozen "chicken flavored" nuggets had chicken in them but they smelled like chicken.

I remember getting one can of tuna (off brand) and a small thing of peanut butter, every time I went.

Rarely was there milk.

I would tell them that I didn't want any crackers, cookies or cereal and I would get home with them anyway...
I one time told them that I only wanted milk, cheese, meat and vegetables and they said they didn't have any of that.

People who haven't been to a food bank have no idea how bad the food is. (at least around here)
From what I have seen in my area it rages from what you are describing to really good stuff. Keep in mind though it is food donated mostly from grocery stores that would have been thrown out. Charity. It is not going to be like shopping with your own money where you buy what you want. I'm sure you have heard the phrase beggars cant be choosers.

I have gotten stuff my friends didnt want, I've seen the stuff they get, overall its good. I also went to the FEMA food bank a few years ago when we had a really bad ice storm. Power was down at my house for over 10 days. I was grateful for the water and the meals similar to MREs and things I could cook on a wood stove. Families could get a box of food a day (more depending on household size). You would not believe the greed. They finally started marking your hand because so many were coming multiple times a day. These were people who lived in town and had electric and water.
They did not have the things I actually needed that were not in the stores like, matches, lamp oil, flashlights, candles (for safety purposes ). One day when I stopped for water a worker talked me into taking a 5lb bag of shredded lettuce (since no one wanted the fresh veggies) so we ate it one day and I gave the rest to the chickens since I had no way to keep it cool.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
From what I have seen in my area it rages from what you are describing to really good stuff. Keep in mind though it is food donated mostly from grocery stores that would have been thrown out. Charity. It is not going to be like shopping with your own money where you buy what you want. I'm sure you have heard the phrase beggars cant be choosers.

I have gotten stuff my friends didnt want, I've seen the stuff they get, overall its good. I also went to the FEMA food bank a few years ago when we had a really bad ice storm. Power was down at my house for over 10 days. I was grateful for the water and the meals similar to MREs and things I could cook on a wood stove. Families could get a box of food a day (more depending on household size). You would not believe the greed. They finally started marking your hand because so many were coming multiple times a day. These were people who lived in town and had electric and water.
They did not have the things I actually needed that were not in the stores like, matches, lamp oil, flashlights, candles (for safety purposes ). One day when I stopped for water a worker talked me into taking a 5lb bag of shredded lettuce (since no one wanted the fresh veggies) so we ate it one day and I gave the rest to the chickens since I had no way to keep it cool.
I understand that it is "charity"... but donating expired food is not true charity in my opinion.

I gave stale cereal to the birds outside..fed the venison to my dog.

Years later, I've still got dry beans from them. They're good for you and they don't go bad.

I am not unappreciative but I feel that the resources should be spent on nutritious food even if they don't get as much.

I'd rather have a single block of cheese or a good piece of meat than a whole bag full of junk food that I won't eat.

In the end, giving poor people foods filled with sugar, salt and fat has a cost to society.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:01 AM

6,679 posts, read 2,981,839 times
Quote:
Agreed.

First Stimulus payment was in April... that money is gone.

Stimulus payments are the fastest way to get money to people and back into the economy... per many conservative economists.
Stimulus money needs to go directly to the people.

I hate these combined pork barrel bills that take forever.

Why can't they allocate the aid for the people.

THEN

work on another for businesses.

THEN

Another for State Aid

THEN

A vaccine bill and they can fight over liability,..etc,..

Take care of the people first, no pork strings attached. Then bicker over rest. At least we won't be scrambling in the meantime.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
Stimulus money needs to go directly to the people.

I hate these combined pork barrel bills that take forever.

Why can't they allocate the aid for the people.

THEN

work on another for businesses.

THEN

Another for State Aid

THEN

A vaccine bill and they can fight over liability,..etc,..

Take care of the people first, no pork strings attached. Then bicker over rest. At least we won't be scrambling in the meantime.
exactly!

Old 12-16-2020, 09:09 AM

36,543 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
I understand that it is "charity"... but donating expired food is not true charity in my opinion.

I gave stale cereal to the birds outside..fed the venison to my dog.

Years later, I've still got dry beans from them. They're good for you and they don't go bad.

I am not unappreciative but I feel that the resources should be spent on nutritious food even if they don't get as much.

I'd rather have a single block of cheese or a good piece of meat than a whole bag full of junk food that I won't eat.

In the end, giving poor people foods filled with sugar, salt and fat has a cost to society.
A lot of people dont like the nutritious food. I too often see them go after the snack cakes and junk food first. That is why I end up with the produce.
This isnt resources, it giving away perfectly good food that would otherwise ended up in a landfill. Apparently the food bank in your community is lacking. Some of the food is at or nearing expiration and cant be sold, same stuff many stores sell at discount (I buy it) before it goes bad and they have to toss it.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:15 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,061,702 times
Quote:
Ha.
This is not without question.
Have you read the survey questionnaire that defines food insecurity?
None of this means those in food lines don't have money for food.
In the spring Congress instituted emergency food stamps to states to 1. increase all recipients to the maximum allowed allotment and 2. to provide P-EBT to any family with children in school who had a reduction in the number of hours they were physically in school. They also dropped present income verification and proof of lay off.

So basically anyone with kids in school and anyone who want to apply will receive emergency food stamps. Those already receiving will get a bump.

Just an anecdotal, I work with a couple with kids in school. Jointly they earn ~130K/year (which is good in for their county - median income 36K/year) and they received P-EBT. Did they need it, no, did they take it, yes. I'd bet the farm now she is laid off (not covid related) and home she will be in one of those food lines. Why, because its free and she has the free time.
Which is what I commonly see.
And I dont care if people making 130K/year, 36K/year or 0/year are getting that free food, whether they are "food insecure" or not, but I dont buy that these people are actually going hungry.
Pretty sure "food insecure" was a term invented because they know people in America do have food.

In America I believe almost no one needs to be hungry based upon what is currently in place.
There are food stamps, school lunch programs , etc.
My daughter receives some sort of food card just based upon the school district they live in.

Those that are hungry in America are sometimes the children of people who find ways to turn the food stamps into cash and buy drugs. Or adults who are either mentally ill or drug addicts.
Poverty and hunger in America is not anything like poverty and hunger in the world as a whole.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:17 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,454,429 times
Listen up, people:

Some of us have never received the first stimulus.

Thanks to the Trump Treasury.

I am working with my congressperson...... and can you see my eyes rolling with the promise of a second?

My Congressperson told me that 1 million of my neighbor state citizens have not received theirs either.

It’s a good thing we’re not hurting for the money - ours was going to go to the very deserving Food Bank.

I know we’re lucky. Others are not so.

F Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies