Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2020, 09:17 AM

5,715 posts, read 15,049,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
A lot of people dont like the nutritious food. I too often see them go after the snack cakes and junk food first. That is why I end up with the produce.
This isnt resources, it giving away perfectly good food that would otherwise ended up in a landfill. Apparently the food bank in your community is lacking. Some of the food is at or nearing expiration and cant be sold, same stuff many stores sell at discount (I buy it) before it goes bad and they have to toss it.
It's a depressed economy in this area - even without Covid.

I remember when I moved here, a realtor said that I would end up working in a restaurant and I thought they were crazy.

Now, I know what they were talking about.

I wish there had of been produce when I was getting food from the local food bank.

At the food bank I went to, you were shown a list and were told to choose 1 item of produce from it and then when you got it, you found out what the condition of the produce item was.

Sometimes, there was more produce items in your bag when you left. It just depended on what they had.

I saw that this year, because of Covid, farmers were giving more food to the food banks because it wasn't selling at the stores.
Maybe that's why you're getting it.

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-16-2020 at 09:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Pretty sure "food insecure" was a term invented because they know people in America do have food.

In America I believe almost no one needs to be hungry based upon what is currently in place.
There are food stamps, school lunch programs , etc.
My daughter receives some sort of food card just based upon the school district they live in.

Those that are hungry in America are sometimes the children of people who find ways to turn the food stamps into cash and buy drugs. Or adults who are either mentally ill or drug addicts.
Poverty and hunger in America is not anything like poverty and hunger in the world as a whole.
I'm not sure but I think the term "food insecure" (in this context) is related to the middle class people who are finding themselves in food lines for the first time in their lives because they've spent their savings and are finding themselves in financial hardship trying to weather this year long, worldwide pandemic.

They're having to choose between paying their bills or buying food for their families...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/lo...ng/ar-BB1bkqYZ

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-16-2020 at 09:35 AM..

Old 12-16-2020, 09:32 AM

8,773 posts, read 5,068,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Why not just pass a bill?
That too!

Old 12-16-2020, 09:37 AM

36,544 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Pretty sure "food insecure" was a term invented because they know people in America do have food.

In America I believe almost no one needs to be hungry based upon what is currently in place.
There are food stamps, school lunch programs , etc.
My daughter receives some sort of food card just based upon the school district they live in.

Those that are hungry in America are sometimes the children of people who find ways to turn the food stamps into cash and buy drugs. Or adults who are either mentally ill or drug addicts.
Poverty and hunger in America is not anything like poverty and hunger in the world as a whole.
I totally agree.
I live in a poor county and while my grand was in elementary school he could get free breakfast and lunch and even during the summer could get free food from the school. When he played football the coach made the boys eat the free food after practice. He continued to be eligible for free breakfast and the school provided food when they traveled for ball games. Every kid in the district is eligible for it regardless of income.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
It's a depressed economy in this area - even without Covid.

I remember when I moved here, a realtor said that I would end up working in a restaurant and I thought they were crazy.

Now, I know what they were talking about.

I wish there had of been produce when I was getting food from the local food bank.

At the food bank I went to, you were shown a list and were told to choose 1 item of produce from it and then when you got it, you found out what the condition of the produce item was.

Sometimes, there was more produce items in your bag when you left. It just depended on what they had.

I saw that this year, because of Covid, farmers were giving more food to the food banks because it wasn't selling at the stores.
Maybe that's why you're getting it.
No I've been getting excess or unwanted food from these people for a couple years now. Same stuff.
I also live in a poor rural county in the south. I dont know why your food bank is as it is. In my area there are several different food banks in each county run by local churches and/or non profits. Each one is different in the amount and kinds of food, how often it is distributed and what income or verifications you need. Some give out to anyone, some go by income, some by where you live.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure but I think the term "food insecure" (in this context) is related to the middle class people who are finding themselves in food lines for the first time in their lives because they've spent their savings and are finding themselves in financial hardship trying to weather this year long, worldwide pandemic.

They're having to choose between paying their bills or buying food for their families...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/lo...ng/ar-BB1bkqYZ
No it isnt. There is a survey/questionnaire with a serious of questions that determine food insecurity. Its not a new term.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food.../survey-tools/

Old 12-16-2020, 09:48 AM

Quote:
No I've been getting excess or unwanted food from these people for a couple years now. Same stuff.
I also live in a poor rural county in the south. I dont know why your food bank is as it is. In my area there are several different food banks in each county run by local churches and/or non profits. Each one is different in the amount and kinds of food, how often it is distributed and what income or verifications you need. Some give out to anyone, some go by income, some by where you live.
Don't know. It was my first and only experience getting food from food banks and it was an eye opener for me.

btw - Personally, I don't agree with food banks (or food stamps, either) being used to supply sugary snacks. These programs should not be subsidizing diabetes - it is a horrible and expensive disease. I personally think both of these programs should be more like WIC and only used for nutritious foods -- but that is a whole other debate and one I would probably lose. Giving people food that is bad for them isn't a good idea - again... IMHO.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
No it isnt. There is a survey/questionnaire with a serious of questions that determine food insecurity. Its not a new term.

https://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food.../survey-tools/
Still,... it's a new term to those middle class people who are finding themselves in food lines - for the first time in their lives - due to the pandemic...

Old 12-16-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Don't know. It was my first and only experience getting food from food banks and it was an eye opener for me.

btw - Personally, I don't agree with food banks (or food stamps, either) being used to supply sugary snacks. These programs should not be subsidizing diabetes - it is a horrible and expensive disease.

I personally think both of these programs should be more like WIC and only used for nutritious foods -- but that is a whole other debate and one I would probably lose.

Giving people food that is bad for them isn't a good idea - again... IMHO.
If one is going hungry any food is better than no food.
I disagree with you. While I do say beggars cant be choosers I dont think we should treat those who need assistance like children or idiots. Give them the food that is available and they can choose what they eat or dont eat. Same with food stamps give them the "money" and let them buy what they want to eat. Not my place to tell anyone else how or what to eat.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:56 AM

Quote:
If one is going hungry any food is better than no food.
I disagree with you. While I do say beggars cant be choosers I dont think we should treat those who need assistance like children or idiots. Give them the food that is available and they can choose what they eat or dont eat. Same with food stamps give them the "money" and let them buy what they want to eat. Not my place to tell anyone else how or what to eat.
yes, that's the debate.

We'll just have to agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies