Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2020, 04:39 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
I am so sorry that I don't know the statistics on nationwide real estate sales. I live in a depressed area.
Even before this pandemic, houses here can sit on the market for a year...

The person that I was responding to previously had said that it's not easy just to sell your house and move if you're in dire straights due to the pandemic. I said that it would be adding insult to injury if you lost equity in your house to move out of it and downsize right now.

Not to mention that many folks are unemployed or underemployed and would find it difficult to move.

It's really all about empathy. There are a lot of people in this country that aren't in the financial shape that you are right now and as you said, it's not their fault.

It's been a long year for everyone...

I don't support subsidizing people to allow them to sit at home and not find a job. But, I know there are a lot of folks that would truly benefit from a stimulus check right now at Christmas and property tax time.

just saying...
if my response came over as harsh, I apologize.

It has been a hard year for everybody, because we've all been forced to significantly change our lives.

I am extremely empathetic to all who lost their job, or hours and income, since March 1. Nevermind the empathy we have for those actually suffering from Covid. I'm even sympathetic to many that were in that boat before then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 04:40 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
Again... I do not support the extravagant unemployment benefits. That is not encouraging anyone to look for a job.

Most people here don't make $15 an hour when they're working. That's what they're being paid to stay home...
where is "here"?

Old 12-15-2020, 04:42 PM

5,715 posts, read 15,049,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
where is "here"?
Missouri

Maybe Josh Hawley knows something about this economy and what's needed...

Old 12-15-2020, 04:44 PM

4,218 posts, read 2,460,826 times
Americans are still fatter than ever.

Old 12-15-2020, 04:48 PM

Just a question for everyone...

What would you do with a $1200 Stimulus Check if you received one this month?

I'll answer first...

I'd pay my property tax bill which is due December 31st.

That would mean that I would be able to easily pay all of my other bills on time and buy what I want to eat at the grocery store, too.

That property tax money would go into local government and in turn it would fund the schools here.

For the record... I'm NOT unemployed. I work two jobs, I've never been on public assitance and haven't been to a food bank or asked anyone for anything during this pandemic.

Maybe I shouldn't own a house, right?

Last edited by World Citizen; 12-15-2020 at 05:22 PM..

Old 12-15-2020, 04:51 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,489,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
A Leftist rant... If Nancy Pelosi would quit playing her stupid games and quit packing the bills with all the craziness she wants... Which more of that added pork isn’t going to help the average citizen... ONE SINGLE BIT, something might get passed to help the average citizen during these tough times.

Well, the media and Big Tech are now the true power in the country and fully control the storyline... Why don’t we hear them speaking up for the average people??

Funny, but they’re pretty freaking quiet... Unlike a month ago.

America, we’ve just been played!! All I can say is good luck to us all and hopefully, as individuals, we can make it through this crisis.

And Yes, COVID is real. I just lost my brother to it.
Oh my, I am very sorry that your brother passed away. Hugs from up north. Also rep given for what you said in your post. Be safe!

Old 12-15-2020, 04:55 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,864,028 times
If you don't have a job and need food, you go to the food bank and get free food. What is the problem again?

Old 12-15-2020, 04:56 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,499,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Why food banks as opposed to food stamps, and there everyone just go to supermarket? This way, be less lines. All the supermarkets are still stocked with fresh food. I dont get the system.
Food stamps often don't last the whole month. Food banks end up supplementing the stamps.

The food bank here has been running so low on food that they weren't even able to give out turkeys and such for Thanksgiving like they usually do. They aren't able to give out as much food as they used to, either. Food donations are down.

Old 12-15-2020, 04:58 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,499,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
Maybe I will be able to buy a house next year.

They better do something drastic before August.
Check the date on that article.

Old 12-15-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
If you don't have a job and need food, you go to the food bank and get free food. What is the problem again?
No problem. Everything is great.

Many middle class folks are food insecure in our country - most for the first time in their lives...
Food banks are overwhelmed and say they've never seen anything like it.

I'm pretty sure that food insecurity is a symptom of a much larger problem.

But, as long as it doesn't effect any of us personally... I guess there's no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies