Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2021, 06:46 AM

5,209 posts, read 1,800,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Lol. The number of people a person can give it to is proportional to time during which the person is contagious.
Why the lol? Time during which the person is contagious is only part of transmission process. Number of contacts is another. I'm seeing a lot of vaccinated people making up for lost time.

If they are contagious for 3 to 4 days, and have 500 more contacts....that is not a win, except for maybe a gold medal in Covid virtue signaling.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:56 AM

17,462 posts, read 14,702,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Reality is the odds of a vaccinated person catching covid and spreading it for 4 days is very low. So its not just 4 day vs. 10 days.

But I think all people should be free to roam bars, etc. Let Delta rip! I don't want vaccine passports or any draconian measures. If people are nervous going into a bar or going anywhere, don't go. Lots of ways of having anything you want delivered.
It's not really that low. It's much more common than we think though ... a lot of it due CDC stopping the tracking of breatkthrough cases in May. How convenient.

The thought is that with Delta, breakthroughs are between 5-20% of overall cases.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:57 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,615,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom2 View Post
Why the lol? Time during which the person is contagious is only part of transmission process. Number of contacts is another. I'm seeing a lot of vaccinated people making up for lost time.

If they are contagious for 3 to 4 days, and have 500 more contacts....that is not a win, except for maybe a gold medal in Covid virtue signaling.
Most vaccinated people I know are not hanging out in bars every night. But perhaps you know some exceptions.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:57 AM

30,202 posts, read 11,854,790 times
Quote:

I agree. Encouraging vaccinated people to run around and act like the pandemic is no longer an issue for them is dumb. No shortage of dumb in regards to the government response to the pandemic.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Reality is the odds of a vaccinated person catching covid and spreading it for 4 days is very low. So its not just 4 day vs. 10 days.

But I think all people should be free to roam bars, etc. Let Delta rip! I don't want vaccine passports or any draconian measures. If people are nervous going into a bar or going anywhere, don't go. Lots of ways of having anything you want delivered.
I'm in favor of freedom for all. I understand the odds, but human behavior contains a lot of variability. Especially after a year plus where people were denied normal human contact. Also that 10 days isn't necessarily 10 days. It's 'up to' 10 days. Some people clear the virus very quickly. Some people don't seem to get Covid at all, for reasons we don't understand. This dividing line between the un-vaxxed and vaxxed isn't firm enough--or consistent enough-- to base restrictions and stigmatization on--is all I'm saying.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
It's not really that low. It's much more common than we think though ... a lot of it due CDC stopping the tracking of breatkthrough cases in May. How convenient.

The thought is that with Delta, breakthroughs are between 5-20% of overall cases.

https://www.heritage.org/public-heal...ons-and-deaths

A fully vaccinated person is as likely to die of covid as being killed by a lightning strike. 1 in 137k.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Most vaccinated people I know are not hanging out in bars every night. But perhaps you know some exceptions.
As I said, bars, restaurants, travel, gyms...they are living life to make up for living under restrictions for so long. Yes, I know people like that, not just 'exceptions.'

And I'm okay with them spreading a virus which is everywhere already. I'm not okay with this arbitrary dividing line. In NYC it's ironic that the restaurants have rats which might be a reservoir. The streets are filled with garbage, needles, vomit, urine and feces. The vaccinated patrons could be carrying covid. But sure, let's ban the unvaccinated. Sounds reasonable

Old 08-15-2021, 07:37 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,956,267 times
Quote:
I'm in favor of freedom for all. I understand the odds, but human behavior contains a lot of variability. Especially after a year plus where people were denied normal human contact. Also that 10 days isn't necessarily 10 days. It's 'up to' 10 days. Some people clear the virus very quickly. Some people don't seem to get Covid at all, for reasons we don't understand. This dividing line between the un-vaxxed and vaxxed isn't firm enough--or consistent enough-- to base restrictions and stigmatization on--is all I'm saying.
I completely agree. The stats are not definitive with anything. It is what we have, but none of it is proving to be gospel. I am sure we all know situations that don't fit the claims.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Interesting article on Malone. I don't think it's one-sided, just interesting.

https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...keptic/619734/
I read it. Malone reminds me of Walter White.

Both brilliant young scientist who through a series of bad decisions end up on the outside looking in at the results of the work they helped create. Both lived a life with financial troubles while their former colleges cashed in with millions. WW becomes "Heisenberg" and moves to the dark side of drug cartels and meth addicts. Malone moves over to the ultimate dark side of the world for a vaccine scientist of the anti vaxxers. Malone can now play the role of spoiler and rain on their parade.

Seems like Malone has a personal motive and probably a financial one to say what he says. I did not know that before I read the story.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:52 AM

3,495 posts, read 1,758,122 times
Quote:
As I said, bars, restaurants, travel, gyms...they are living life to make up for living under restrictions for so long. Yes, I know people like that, not just 'exceptions.'

And I'm okay with them spreading a virus which is everywhere already. I'm not okay with this arbitrary dividing line. In NYC it's ironic that the restaurants have rats which might be a reservoir. The streets are filled with garbage, needles, vomit, urine and feces. The vaccinated patrons could be carrying covid. But sure, let's ban the unvaccinated. Sounds reasonable
https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...e-16384682.php

Vaccinated crew on Carnival cruise test positive for covid along with a few passengers. How many passengers will they infect? Who would want even a mild case of covid while trying to enjoy your cruise assuming all the passengers are vaccinated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.