Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2021, 10:30 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,516,469 times

Advertisements

Do Masks Work? A Review Of The Evidence

Quote:
Surgical masks were designed to keep medical personnel from inadvertently infecting patients’ wounds, not to prevent the spread of viruses.
Quote:
In truth, the CDC’s, U.K.’s, and WHO’s earlier guidance was much more consistent with the best medical research on masks’ effectiveness in preventing the spread of viruses. That research suggests that Americans’ many months of mask-wearing has likely provided little to no health benefit and might even have been counterproductive in preventing the spread of the novel coronavirus.
Quote:
It’s striking how much the CDC, in marshalling evidence to justify its revised mask guidance, studiously avoids mentioning randomized controlled trials. RCTs are uniformly regarded as the gold standard in medical research, yet the CDC basically ignores them apart from disparaging certain ones that particularly contradict the agency’s position.
Quote:
Mask supporters often claim that we have no choice but to rely on observational studies instead of RCTs, because RCTs cannot tell us whether masks work or not. But what they really mean is that they don’t like what the RCTs show.
https://www.zerohedge.com/covid-19/d...eview-evidence

Old 08-15-2021, 10:37 AM

30,170 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post

Quote:
Surgical masks were designed to keep medical personnel from inadvertently infecting patients’ wounds, not to prevent the spread of viruses.

So what is it that would be transmitted from medical personnel to patients wounds that masks prevent from happening? Perhaps viruses?

Old 08-15-2021, 10:47 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,516,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
So what is it that would be transmitted from medical personnel to patients wounds that masks prevent from happening? Perhaps viruses?
Studies show what studies show. Neither you or I are in the right paygrade to say otherwise.

Believe what you like.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:21 AM

1,154 posts, read 274,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingMA View Post
I'm not saying the vaccine works at all, cause it doesn't...and we are seeing that. I'm saying the vaccine is causing the issues, but nobody wants to admit or see it.

I see it. But no one appreciates my saying so.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Studies show what studies show. Neither you or I are in the right paygrade to say otherwise.

Believe what you like.
I am not saying I believe either way. I did see videos early in the pandemic that showed that masks slowed the amount of droplets from spreading. And the fact that people say they contain germs and bacteria in them also indicates they are stopping germs and bacteria from being spread around if they are stuck in the mask. Whether they help for sure with covid I don't know.

Back when I was where mask mandates were common I wore a face shield. I think its better protection. It protects your eyes and nothing is getting through it. Perhaps under it but I think that is less likely to happen. And you just disinfect it after you use it and its clean. I went almost a year never wearing a mask even with mask mandates all over. I never got why it was never a popular choice. Only twice did a store stop me from entering because I had a face shield. I never went back to those stores.

Old 08-15-2021, 11:42 AM

17,431 posts, read 14,657,652 times
Quote:
I am not saying I believe either way. I did see videos early in the pandemic that showed that masks slowed the amount of droplets from spreading. And the fact that people say they contain germs and bacteria in them also indicates they are stopping germs and bacteria from being spread around if they are stuck in the mask. Whether they help for sure with covid I don't know.

Back when I was where mask mandates were common I wore a face shield. I think its better protection. It protects your eyes and nothing is getting through it. Perhaps under it but I think that is less likely to happen. And you just disinfect it after you use it and its clean. I went almost a year never wearing a mask even with mask mandates all over. I never got why it was never a popular choice. Only twice did a store stop me from entering because I had a face shield. I never went back to those stores.
I actually agree with you that the face shield seemed to be a much safer alternative to protect against covid transmission.

It makes common sense.

And yet, the CDC recommended against using a face shield.

One of the many reasons I don't trust the bulk of what the CDC "recommends".

Old 08-15-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
I actually agree with you that the face shield seemed to be a much safer alternative to protect against covid transmission.

It makes common sense.

And yet, the CDC recommended against using a face shield.

One of the many reasons I don't trust the bulk of what the CDC "recommends".
For me its self preservation. The CDC its the greater community. Me wearing a face shield might protect myself better but if I had covid it would easily be pushed into the air around me. It is said that masks protect those around you more than yourself. The CDC likes that.

I also have N95 ventilators. A month ago I took my mom to a couple dr. visits. Masks required. I wore my N95 which has a filter in the middle. The filter expels my breath but keeps 95% of particles out. Neither dr liked it even though it protects me just fine. Like I said self preservation.

Old 08-15-2021, 12:28 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,588,145 times
We hear nothing about vaccines in the middle of a pandemic actually facilitating more mutations. Was that the plan?

Old 08-15-2021, 12:40 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,588,145 times
Quote:
It is said that masks protect those around you more than yourself. The CDC likes that... wore my N95 which has a filter in the middle. Neither dr liked it even though it protects me just fine.

Don't be surprised if you still get Covid. I got it in a health care setting, surrounded by workers all vaxed and masked. Because I am very healthy (slim, fit, have taken every supplement - not just the Covid rec'd ones - forever) I had a somewhat mild case with the only after effects being more tired than usual. I never lost smell or taste as many have. I'm happy because now I am immune and if the Vax Gestapo come to my door, I can kick them down the stairs!

Old 08-15-2021, 12:57 PM

8,155 posts, read 3,680,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
So, you need a study to prove that people who have been told they don't need to wear a mask aren't wearing a mask?

ETA: I see you edited your response after you posted it. The proper etiquette is to indicate that with an "ETA" notation.
Lol, first of all as I already said, the math changed due to the new variant.

Second, if you believe that the anti-vaccine crowd has somehow taken on average more protection measures and followed more the guidance, I have a bridge to sell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.