Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 02:47 AM

48,610 posts, read 35,078,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
CNN. Well, that figures. Pathological liars with an agenda.

Masks and fines in 1918? No. Re-written history (CNN-style?). Except for military bases that was NOT the case. My parents lived through it and never mentioned that. They did close the schools for a spell (actually a couple times). But in those days polio epidemics aroused much more preventative behaviour than the flu did.

The resort city I spend my winters in is locked and bolted for all intents and purposes. The Canadians stayed home. This place will take many years to recover from this.

But let's get specific. Handing someone a menu and forcing them to order food in a BAR? That's lockdown. (stupid and pointless; virtue signaling? - but lockdown?). You do not go to a bar to eat. You go to a bar to drink. Period.

Well, the world has certainly fallen apart. It's not like you can drink at home or anything.

One must have witnesses to observe our drunkeness, or it didn't happen.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 02:57 AM

3,493 posts, read 3,221,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well, the world has certainly fallen apart. It's not like you can drink at home or anything.

One must have witnesses to observe our drunkeness, or it didn't happen.

First off, not everybody has an old worn out spouse to sit home with. Some have no kids and the friends they once hung out with are all 6' under by now (happens sooner than you think). 40 years ago a bar was a bar. No Women's Temperance League telling you what you can and can't do. Carrie Nation was long gone.

One has to have experienced the world 40 or 50 years ago to actually get it!

Old 12-29-2020, 03:04 AM

48,610 posts, read 35,078,116 times
Quote:
First off, not everybody has an old worn out spouse to sit home with. Some have no kids and the friends they once hung out with are all 6' under by now (happens sooner than you think). 40 years ago a bar was a bar. No Women's Temperance League telling you what you can and can't do. Carrie Nation was long gone.

One has to have experienced the world 40 or 50 years ago to actually get it!
Okay....? First off, my spouse is neither old nor worn out. Such an odd comment.

As is, bringing up the Women's Temperance League. Way to go 1930's?

In the 1980s a bar was a bar? I agree. In the 2020s a bar is a bar too! Whew. Glad we worked that out!!

Baffled at "Carrie Nation", can you elaborate?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-29-2020, 04:10 AM

2,916 posts, read 1,370,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is no "lock down" in the US today. No one is locked in, and compliance is voluntary.

They were told what to do in 1918, including using masks, and there could be fines if they did not comply.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/03/ameri...hnk/index.html

Quarantine:

https://www.influenzaarchive.org/cit...portland.html#

"The City Council passed the resolution, placing influenza on the list of quarantineable infectious diseases. Portland police and the county guards were called on to help the health department’s twenty officers enforce the quarantine, although private physicians were warned that they did not have the authority to forbid patients to leave their homes. The next day, health inspectors and police officers were busy placing the white and red placards on the homes of the ill. The penalty for violating quarantine – either leaving or entering a placarded home – was a fine of $5 to $300 and five to ninety days in prison. Instantly many
Quote:
CNN. Well, that figures. Pathological liars with some weird agenda.

Masks and fines in 1918? No. Re-written history (CNN-style?). Except for military bases that was NOT the case. My parents lived through it and never mentioned that.
The quote about quarantines came from influenzaarchive.org, not CNN, and it's from a historical document, so your talk of CNN's lies is meaningless. The fact that your parents never mentioned quarantines to you doesn't mean they didn't happen. And suzy_q2010's point that there were no true lockdowns here in America over covid, unlike during the Spanish flu pandemic, totally flew past you.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:20 AM

995 posts, read 513,798 times
I was fed up with the lockdown back in April. I thank my lucky stars that I live in a state that doesn't do lockdowns, and never will. (Thank you Governor Kemp). Florida takes it even further - with the zeroing out of covid restrictions from September onward. Thank you Governor DeSantis for not backing down under pressure.

What's giving me the anxieties now is the vaccine program. All along, I've held out hope that once the vaccines came out, we'd be able to toss our masks away and go on a massive hugging spree with crowded festivals in every town. However, Santa delivered a big, fat lump of coal in the form of news reports that the vaccine will NOT allow a return to normal. Indeed, we're gonna have to keep those face diapers on and no hugging allowed for how long ...? Forever, it seems?

If the vaccines doesn't prevent spread of the virus, what will? Lockdowns which never work? (Just look at Lockdown LA and their spiraling rate of cases.)

So, I've got a decision to make. Get the shot (which they want us to do) and force a return to normal by refusing to abide by corona rules, -or- NOT get the shot and double down on being a refusenik, like I have been.

Either way, I'm soon going to embark on a series of long road trips in search of Magic No-mask Land. I know it's out there somewhere - I just gotta find it. A place where the only place masks will be found is in the trash bin, a place where people mingle with careless abandon, a place where all the hugs are free.

I know it's out there somewhere - and I WILL find it, or die trying.

Old 12-29-2020, 07:23 AM

34,309 posts, read 18,690,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I was fed up with the lockdown back in April. I thank my lucky stars that I live in a state that doesn't do lockdowns, and never will. (Thank you Governor Kemp). Florida takes it even further - with the zeroing out of covid restrictions from September onward. Thank you Governor DeSantis for not backing down under pressure.

What's giving me the anxieties now is the vaccine program. All along, I've held out hope that once the vaccines came out, we'd be able to toss our masks away and go on a massive hugging spree with crowded festivals in every town. However, Santa delivered a big, fat lump of coal in the form of news reports that the vaccine will NOT allow a return to normal. Indeed, we're gonna have to keep those face diapers on and no hugging allowed for how long ...? Forever, it seems?

If the vaccines doesn't prevent spread of the virus, what will? Lockdowns which never work? (Just look at Lockdown LA and their spiraling rate of cases.)

So, I've got a decision to make. Get the shot (which they want us to do) and force a return to normal by refusing to abide by corona rules, -or- NOT get the shot and double down on being a refusenik, like I have been.

Either way, I'm soon going to embark on a series of long road trips in search of Magic No-mask Land. I know it's out there somewhere - I just gotta find it. A place where the only place masks will be found is in the trash bin, a place where people mingle with careless abandon, a place where all the hugs are free.

I know it's out there somewhere - and I WILL find it, or die trying.
Kristi Noem, Governor of South Dakota is one of the few SANE ones out there. That's a good place to start your adventure. Live life people.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:47 AM

13,699 posts, read 9,793,471 times
Quote:
There is no "lock down" in the US today. No one is locked in, and compliance is voluntary.
Schools are closed, and schoolchildren aren't allowed into the building. I call that a lockdown. Universities are closed, and grad students or post-docs aren't allowed into their labs. I call that a lockdown. Gyms are closed. If you're a competitive weightlifter, chances are, that what you're currently experiencing is a lockdown.

Of course if by "lockdown" we mean literal house-arrest, with electric locks places on every exit of one's house, sending signals to a centralized computer run by the Ministry of Lockdowns, then yes, "there is no lockdown in America". If we make the definition sufficiently narrow, then few things will fit it.

But why so narrow? If we theoretically can leave our houses, but our usual means of employment, study, recreation or entertainment are closed, how is that not a lockdown?

Quote:
They were told what to do in 1918, including using masks, and there could be fines if they did not comply.
I am not impressed by comparisons with 1918... a time when women couldn't vote, when segregation was the rule of much of the land, when people of German extraction were turned into enemies, when public life was overtly Christian (and specifically Protestant). But why stop at 1918? Maybe we should go back to say 1692? Maybe if we execute a few witches, the virus will naturally go away?

Old 12-29-2020, 09:54 AM

3,661 posts, read 2,991,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Funny how covid doesn’t spread during riots and demonstrations

Or at Home Depot or Lowe’s on weekends when it’s packed.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:59 AM

5,937 posts, read 4,715,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Oh please, we aren't just being asked to wear a mask and you know it.
Actually - if we all just wore the damn mask, we wouldn't be in this mess. The problem was we've gone 9 months of people saying it is a hoax and they refuse to wear it. Or they continue to neglect social distancing guidelines.

Honestly, I don't feel like I'm "in lockdown" at all. I pretty much do most of what I used to do, except I wear a mask, sanitize and social distance. It really isn't that hard. I saw family for Thanksgiving. Not many - but some. We self-quarantined (no risky business) for 2 weeks prior. And then when company left, we all self-quarantined again for two weeks to eliminate the chances that we spread anything to anybody else.

I live in an area where the positivity rate is near 30%. But I still find a way to do the things I need to do or want to do.

This is what you make of it. If you choose to be miserable, then you'll be miserable.

To clarify, I'm not talking about those that lost their jobs. That's a different problem. But if you are still able to provide for your family, if you are miserable it is because you choose to be.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:13 AM

7,178 posts, read 4,772,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
Actually - if we all just wore the damn mask, we wouldn't be in this mess. The problem was we've gone 9 months of people saying it is a hoax and they refuse to wear it. Or they continue to neglect social distancing guidelines.

Honestly, I don't feel like I'm "in lockdown" at all. I pretty much do most of what I used to do, except I wear a mask, sanitize and social distance. It really isn't that hard. I saw family for Thanksgiving. Not many - but some. We self-quarantined (no risky business) for 2 weeks prior. And then when company left, we all self-quarantined again for two weeks to eliminate the chances that we spread anything to anybody else.

I live in an area where the positivity rate is near 30%. But I still find a way to do the things I need to do or want to do.

This is what you make of it. If you choose to be miserable, then you'll be miserable.

To clarify, I'm not talking about those that lost their jobs. That's a different problem. But if you are still able to provide for your family, if you are miserable it is because you choose to be.
Did you all stay in your homes for two weeks and not go to a grocery store? Doubt it. People can pick up the virus anywhere. It’s time to live normal lives again, wearing a mask in public for awhile longer maybe. Enough of this. It’s got to stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies