Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 03:13 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,816,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Publicly traded private companies you mean?
Yes, private companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 03:13 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
Quote:
Which of the three are private? Twitter, Facebook, or Google? I thought all three were owned by the public.
Publicly traded companies are still private enterprises for this purpose. The issue is private vs. government. Public comoanies are not owned by the government. It's a bit of a misnomer in that respect. Publicly-traded simply means you can go to a stock exchange and buy shares, which you can't do with a privatly-traded company.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I feel sorry for anyone who can't see the danger in what tech, media and the Ruling Party conglomerate are spinning up in their grotesque plans to control humanity. It's not being done so that an event will be stopped. It's being done to punish and disassemble the conservative movement, which has little to do with Trump.
Not only are they provoking a civil war, but the blind cannot see that this control will turn against them as well.

Good luck.
Hardly. There's no conservative movement on Parler. You have liberal Trump supporters on Parler more than any group of conservatives or even democrats.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:16 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,526,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
You don't need to go through the Google Play Store to install apps. Google only banned it from the Play Store. You can still use Parler on Android. Android is also the largest mobile device platform... so as of right now, you can still install and run the Parler app on the largest mobile device platform. Not to mention on non-mobile devices.

I question whether Twitter and Facebook is aggressively banning conservatives. I'm a conservative and I'm run in conservative circles on Twitter and don't know anyone who was banned. The people being banned now are largely the liberal supporters of Trump.
Android is Google, by the way. I just want to make sure everyone knows that.

By choosing to ban these apps on their store, Google is also establishing themselves as partisan players and not a 'neutral public platform' under the meaning of Section 230. Of course they also are guilty of that in their search engine algorithms, which are clearly biased, and on YouTube, which is another Google company.

I have no confidence of anyone doing what is required to get some equal protection under the law here, as our entire system is clearly corrupt down to the bedrock, including the courts and certainly including the DOJ and FBI. But IF we care anything about these values, then Google will be held accountable. They should probably be broken up.

There is an anti-trust case pending against them right now for anti-competitive practices. These latest examples should certainly be added to that case and action should be taken accordingly. Google and Apple truly do control the smartphone operating system market. They have excessive market power and they are abusing it. Spin that how you like, that is a fact that is easily observable to most people at this point.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:17 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
They're doing what they can to prevent a massive uprising.

Sometimes, you have to use measures you wouldn't ordinarily use - like grounding all the US planes on 9/11, declaring curfews in hurricane ravaged areas, etc.

That's what they're doing. Turning off the information/communication venues of a very very dangerous movement.
This is a really disturbing and misguided post.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:18 PM

850 posts, read 796,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I feel sorry for anyone who can't see the danger in what tech, media and the Ruling Party conglomerate are spinning up in their grotesque plans to control humanity. It's not being done so that an event will be stopped. It's being done to punish and disassemble the conservative movement, which has little to do with Trump.
Not only are they provoking a civil war, but the blind cannot see that this control will turn against them as well.

Good luck.
As a non-Maga Qnon person I couldnt be happier.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Android is Google, by the way. I just want to make sure everyone knows that.

By choosing to ban these apps on their store, Google is also establishing themselves as partisan players and not a 'neutral public platform' under the meaning of Section 230. Of course they also are guilty of that in their search engine algorithms, which are clearly biased, and on YouTube, which is another Google company.

I have no confidence of anyone doing what is required to get some equal protection under the law here, as our entire system is clearly corrupt down to the bedrock, including the courts and certainly including the DOJ and FBI. But IF we care anything about these values, then Google will be held accountable. They should probably be broken up.

There is an anti-trust case pending against them right now for anti-competitive practices. These latest examples should certainly be added to that case and action should be taken accordingly. Google and Apple truly do control the smartphone operating system market. They have excessive market power and they are abusing it. Spin that how you like, that is a fact that is easily observable to most people at this point.
Google's products are catering to the people. It's that simple.

Again, you can still use Parler on Android. Just because it's not in the play store doesn't mean you can't use it.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:22 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
I feel that this is like poking a hornets nest as is going to galvanize their militias into taking more action against the government, silicone valley, and snowflakes.

Anyone else worried about this or am is being a little over-dramatic?
I tried to explain to everyone that the best possible thing is for Trump to just ride away into the sunset.

Censorship doesn't make you look strong, it makes you look weak, and afraid. That you're trying to hide something.

I actually do blame Trump for a lot of this. He could have just conceded two months ago. It has been clear to me this entire time that he lost. Or that even if he didn't, the Republican establishment is not going to come out to defend him because they don't like him. Everyone in a position of power wants him gone.

My friend is convinced that Trump is arming the National Guard and sending them into Washington DC for the real coup. He believes the Army is on Trump's side, and when the time comes they will arrest all of the democratic conspirators.

I don't see how facebook censorship is going to solve that problem. It just makes him even crazier.

Old 01-09-2021, 03:24 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,989,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
This is a really disturbing and misguided post.
If you were in charge of Capitol security, and your IT guys kept saying there's a threat of a huge mob that is planning to descend on the Capitol to fight for Trump on Sunday 17th, what tools would you use at your disposal?

It's beginning to be clear that security agencies DID know about what was planned for Jan 6 and didn't do anything about it.

They don't want that happening again.

So. What would be YOUR plan to save lives and property?

Old 01-09-2021, 03:26 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,076,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
If you were in charge of Capitol security, and your IT guys kept saying there's a threat of a huge mob that is planning to descend on the Capitol to fight for Trump on Sunday 17th, what tools would you use at your disposal?

It's beginning to be clear that security agencies DID know about what was planned for Jan 6 and didn't do anything about it.

They don't want that happening again.

So. What would be YOUR plan to save lives and property?
That is not why Twitter and others have banned the sitting President and other conservatives.

And your earlier equivalency of grounding planes on 9/11 with social media banning is ludicrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies