Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 06:06 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,733,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
The U.S. could hit one million COVID-19 deaths by May 1st, pandemic expert Laurie Garrett believes. Garrett and Jonathan Capehart also discuss reports of over 2 million cases being diagnosed within the first 9 days of 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkHDgkiKRdU
So what? How's that going to hurt the Country? It's killing the old and the sick....

For example, people in their 50s are at higher risk for severe illness than people in their 40s. Similarly, people in their 60s or 70s are, in general, at higher risk for severe illness than people in their 50s. The greatest risk for severe illness from COVID-19 is among those aged 85 or older.

People of any age who have serious underlying medical conditions may have a greater risk of getting very sick from COVID-19.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 07:06 AM

18,812 posts, read 8,481,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Are they breaking down the cause of deaths' anymore showing if it was heart disease, diabetes, etc. or just checking Covid for $$?
There are no reimbursements based on cause of death.

Old 01-15-2021, 07:10 AM

8,157 posts, read 3,684,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhipps View Post
1. At a minimum, we could at least have worked to get to 1% of the population (currently closer to 1/3%). Isolate out Covid patients and specialized personel for that and stop having them work with patients that could be handled with non-specialized personel. I like to think a little outside the box and not buy into propaganda. With the amount of labor and resources available, the fact that mostly temporary makeshift bs was put into play (and not close to enough) is inexcusable. Of the beds available for Covid patients, we're talking about 1/10th of that .33% (an absolute joke...2 people out of 10,000 people have an opportunity to use an ICU bed). And then we all get to listen to the Henny Pennys scream that we're at stage 5, when it amounts to .033% of the population. Ridiculous, but I'm sure the media and their minions love going into hyperbolic mode.

2). Glad to see you agree there was no reason to put the words you did in bold and verify what I said was accurate. Now when you can realize that people pay little attention to deaths once it's hits whatever threshold they deem acceptable, we might be on to something.

I would suggest we end this at this point. Any rebuttals you've made have been evicerated (or you actually validate what I say without knowing it) and we seem to be wasting time now (I find very little of what you're claiming to be rational and now you're repeating the same points that have already been picked apart). Time to simply agree to disagree and move on.
1. What you wrote is not clear at all. But let me just say that if you think that in normal times hospitals just keep large numbers of ICU (and other) beds available and extra personnel that just sits around waiting for the next pandemic to happen, that's not the case. Hospitals are in the business of making money, so they don't do that.

2. Nah, you didn't eviscerate anything.

Here is an example for you. Phase 1 is the "normal" phase:

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-upda...and-occupancy/

Old 01-15-2021, 07:22 AM

34,104 posts, read 47,323,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin2Reston View Post
The U.S. could hit one million COVID-19 deaths by May 1st, pandemic expert Laurie Garrett believes. Garrett and Jonathan Capehart also discuss reports of over 2 million cases being diagnosed within the first 9 days of 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkHDgkiKRdU
Of course it will, people couldn't get over seeing their families for Christmas.

Godspeed to all, when this is over America will experience the Roaring Twenties part Deux

It will be magic

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 01-15-2021, 07:50 AM

596 posts, read 302,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
1. What you wrote is not clear at all. But let me just say that if you think that in normal times hospitals just keep large numbers of ICU (and other) beds available and extra personnel that just sits around waiting for the next pandemic to happen, that's not the case. Hospitals are in the business of making money, so they don't do that.

2. Nah, you didn't eviscerate anything.

Here is an example for you. Phase 1 is the "normal" phase:

https://www.tmc.edu/coronavirus-upda...and-occupancy/
Like I said, I really can't help you at this point. You really don't offer any valid retorts to the points I've made, but do like to engage in hyperbole, and ignore (or not comprehend) points made to you. Have a good weekend.

Last edited by BobPhipps; 01-15-2021 at 08:08 AM..

Old 01-15-2021, 08:07 AM

18,812 posts, read 8,481,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Until...?
Until the cases, hospitalizations and deaths are approaching the ballpark of more typical Influenza numbers. Hopefully by the summer. After that the focus will have to be primarily on vaccinations, possibly yearly, and high risk individuals' risk management.

Old 01-15-2021, 08:21 AM

45,238 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
No, all measures should be used together. Distancing, masks, hand washing, quick testing, isolation, and tracing are all very important. And now, obviously, the quick deployment of the vaccines.
You are free to do all of the above, the rest of us should likewise be free to ignore any of it we choose.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:26 AM

8,157 posts, read 3,684,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhipps View Post
Like I said, I really can't help you at this point. You really don't offer any valid retorts to the points I've made, but do like to engage in hyperbole, and ignore (or not comprehend) points made to you. Have a good weekend.
There was no hyperbole. I just showed you the data.

You too have a good weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies