Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2021, 07:00 AM

8,151 posts, read 3,676,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobPhipps View Post
Actually, governments as a matter policy make decisions all the time on what would be considered an acceptable amount of deaths for diseases and other activities, balancing it with the good of society. This shouldn't be news to anyone. Honestly, how many people even give a second thought when they here about someone dying on the news? Unless it's something that really catches their attention because of an interesting back story, or someone they knew, it's simply back to dinner.

Here's a news flash. People are still dying of the flu and HIV. Does anyone hear a lot of talk about it? I know I don't. Check how many threads were started on those over the last few years on this site. Basically, when either a vaccine gets created or a problem seems relatively under control, the country moves on, and the talk about it stop. This may be shocking to some, but people die from a myriad of things. If the country stood still or implemented some draconian measure over everything people died of, we'd be paralyzed as a country.
Here is a news flash for you : flu deaths per year in US since 2010 (per CDC) - 12000-61000 per year.

HIV - 13000 per year. So currently Covid kills as many in 3 days (in US).

Flu this season - very much suppressed, very low activity due to the Covid measures. Flu is much less contagious than SARS-CoV-2, there has been a vaccine each season since forever, antivirals that work really well are available, testing in doctor's office, etc.

Of course none of the above stops the efforts to do better for HIV, flu, etc.

P.S. Vaccines have been created, but that does not bring the problem under control overnight. The botched deployment does not help either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 07:28 AM

596 posts, read 302,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Here is a news flash for you : flu deaths per year in US since 2010 (per CDC) - 12000-61000 per year.

Flu this season - very much suppressed, very low activity due to the Covid measures. Flu is much less contagious than SARS-CoV-2, there has been a vaccine each season since forever, antivirals that work really well are available, testing in doctor's office, etc.

P.S. Vaccines have been created, but that does not bring the problem under control overnight. The botched deployment does not help either.
That's not a news flash at all. In fact, you're making my point for me. Feel free to reread my comment.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:30 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I thought Joe was going to change everything and get the pandemic under control? Is MSNBC already doubting him? May gives Joe 4 months to show those leadership skills we have heard so much about.
Trump repeatedly told the public there were be 100 million doses by year end and the military would be engaged in distribution and inoculation. Trump was only about 80 million doses off and left the rest to the states to figure out.

CDC acknowledged the challenges.

Because over promising and under delivering is what politicians do, Biden said 100 million doses within his first 100 days.

There is a global shortage of vaccines. The UK determined to stop stockpiling for the second dose and instead to get a first dose into as many people as possible. The incoming Biden Admin agreed. Then the Trump Admin agreed.

Then there are the challenge at the state and 3000+ county levels to create the infrastructure to get the vaccine into arms.

Biden, like Trump, cannot mandate masks/ distancing. Biden, unlike Trump, can set a different tone at the top.
Will it make a difference in the near term? Doubtful. Way too many refuse to be inconvenienced by a mask and by not doing so, demonstrate their lack of respect for others and healthcare professionals.

Unless people are willing to change their personal behaviors, Covid will spread. Selfishness seems to have united millions of people across the political spectrum and no particular spectrum.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:31 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Well since according to the left, the covid deaths are 100% COMPLETELY and TOTALLY the fault of President Donald J Trump then we should see the death rate drastically drop by May, right?

Old 01-14-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post

HIV?

Trump said there was a vaccine. This became international news because there is no HIV vaccine. There is treatment and people are living longer, despite infection.

Unlike Covid, HIV is not nearly as contagious.

In absence of a vaccine, avoiding being infected by HIV and/ or Covid requires a change in behavior.

I cringed when Biden said 100 million would be inoculated against Covid during his first 100 days, echoing Trump’s previous empty words - 100 million by year end. Politicians don’t seem to be able to help themselves from over promising and then under delivering.

Agreed that the seasonal flu has been substantially suppressed thus far in the 2020/2021 season. This is likely a result of virtual classes, masking up and distancing. Maybe more than the usual 40% +/- of the population that typically gets a flu shot , chose to this flu season.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:49 AM

Quote:
That's not a news flash at all. In fact, you're making my point for me. Feel free to reread my comment.
No, I'm not. The current pandemics is not under control, not even close. That's the difference.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Agree.

I'll resist the urge to stereotype, but clearly most people will go with the first thing they're told and it can be difficult to undo that when they are locked in. In addition, all it takes is for something to be said once by these authorities and once the internet gets ahold of it, the message goes viral.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say, when "they" figure it out, let me know. And as stated earlier, part way through this process, masks became the end-all-be-all instead of distancing. Clearly it was the wrong point of emphasis, but you couldn't get people to stop preaching that mantra (and anyone can check this and other forums). People completely stopped talking about distancing.
No, all measures should be used together. Distancing, masks, hand washing, quick testing, isolation, and tracing are all very important. And now, obviously, the quick deployment of the vaccines.

Old 01-14-2021, 07:56 AM

7,931 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Trump repeatedly told the public there were be 100 million doses by year end and the military would be engaged in distribution and inoculation. Trump was only about 80 million doses off and left the rest to the states to figure out.

CDC acknowledged the challenges.

Because over promising and under delivering is what politicians do, Biden said 100 million doses within his first 100 days.

There is a global shortage of vaccines. The UK determined to stop stockpiling for the second dose and instead to get a first dose into as many people as possible. The incoming Biden Admin agreed. Then the Trump Admin agreed.

Then there are the challenge at the state and 3000+ county levels to create the infrastructure to get the vaccine into arms.

Biden, like Trump, cannot mandate masks/ distancing. Biden, unlike Trump, can set a different tone at the top.
Will it make a difference in the near term? Doubtful. Way too many refuse to be inconvenienced by a mask and by not doing so, demonstrate their lack of respect for others and healthcare professionals.

Unless people are willing to change their personal behaviors, Covid will spread. Selfishness seems to have united millions of people across the political spectrum and no particular spectrum.
I agree with you that little can be substantially changed about how we address the situation, including personal responsibility. However, Biden was sold to us (particularly by that particular network that the OP linked to) as some sort of game changer in the fight against the virus.

Old 01-14-2021, 08:49 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
According to the United Nations World Population Prospects report, approximately 7,452 people die every day in the United States
https://www.statista.com/statistics/...to-all-causes/

The chart gives the death count for January 10. It is now over 4,000 per day, more than any single condition, including heart disease and all cancers, combined. On a day with 4000 COVID-19 deaths that means one death in two is due to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
WOW!! It's been roughly a year, and you already know there are "lifelong side effects" for "millions and millions"?
I suspect that people with missing limbs would consider that permanent. How about those who have had lung transplants? Researchers are finding heart and lung fibrosis even in young, otherwise healthy people who have been infected, including athletes who had no symptoms.

With so many people infected it is likely that there will be millions with permanent deficits due to the virus.

Quote:
Yes, of course. Back to the dead bodies in trucks and people dying on the streets. Again, this is exactly why people have a deaf ear when information gets revised. It is the hyperbole, sky is falling, always focusing on worst case scenario nonsense that people have had enough of. I also recall footage being used from another country on some of this stuff. If anything, hospitals were less busy for awhile when they stopped doing elective surgeries. Most hospitals I drove by the parking lots were empty. A lot of health care workers are actually laid off.

I would have no problem making that comment because it's true. Focusing on 15,000 fans that attended a game at a stadium with a capacity of 65,000, or the less than a sliver of people that were at the Capitol and trying to claim that was going to make a huge impact on the amount of people infected, is nothing but absurd.
The parking lots were empty because no visitors were allowed and elective surgical procedures were cancelled because of concern over exposure to the virus in the hospital and conversion of operating rooms (which have anesthesia machines that can be used as ventilators) and recovery rooms to ICU beds and COVID-19 beds. Anesthesiologists were taking care of COVID-19 patients, intubating them and monitoring them while they were on ventilators. The workers who were laid off had skills that did not transfer to COVID-19 care.

Group interactions of all sizes contribute to spread of the virus.

Quote:
Actually, governments as a matter policy make decisions all the time on what would be considered an acceptable amount of deaths for diseases and other activities, balancing it with the good of society. This shouldn't be news to anyone. Honestly, how many people even give a second thought when they here about someone dying on the news? Unless it's something that really catches their attention because of an interesting back story, or someone they knew, it's simply back to dinner.

Here's a news flash. People are still dying of the flu and HIV. Does anyone hear a lot of talk about it? I know I don't. Check how many threads were started on those over the last few years on this site. Basically, when either a vaccine gets created or a problem seems relatively under control, the country moves on, and the talk about it stop. This may be shocking to some, but people die from a myriad of things. If the country stood still or implemented some draconian measure over everything people died of, we'd be paralyzed as a country.
Not many people dying from the flu this year, and many folks with HIV now have normal life spans. Flu has been discussed regularly here k City Data.

Old 01-14-2021, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well since according to the left, the covid deaths are 100% COMPLETELY and TOTALLY the fault of President Donald J Trump then we should see the death rate drastically drop by May, right?
I don’t deal in absolutes.

There is no question Trump could have made very clear, he expected the public to demonstrate patriotism, respect for healthcare professionals and each other and mask up / distance, and walked the talk.

Had he done so, it would have made a difference as his base would have been more likely to go with the flow.

Having said this, selfishness unites people across the political spectrum and no particular spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies