Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2021, 08:31 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Garrett Morgan, Elijah "The Real McCoy" McCoy to name a few. All one has to do is look.

lmao MLK was about civil disobedience and equal rights.
Did you put Morgan and McCoy along with Newton and Einstein etc. because of their skin color?

Using children to advance your agenda is a disgusting tactic. By the way, MLK didn’t just take photo ops with children. He actually put them in danger and in prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 09:22 AM

2,828 posts, read 825,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
How many times does this rhetorical question have to be asked on this same thread? Is there some rule or checklist that requires the subject of Africans selling Africans to be pointed out EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. the subject of slavery comes up? What is the point? There is no one left on the planet who doesn't know that Africans in Africa sold other Africans to European slavers. You are not imparting any new information or making any contribution to the conversation here. It's like repeating 2+2=4 over and over again. Everybody knows it. READ THE POST/conversation to which you are responding before you come rushing up in here waving your arms, wild-eyed, hair standing on end, to type something irrelevant.

Someone said specifically that Africans brought other Africans here on ships. No, they didn't. It's simply a fact, and I was correcting it and providing historical information on the DeWolf family. That's all.

I guess it's my own fault for thinking people might actually like to learn some history. Wrong forum for that, lol.
I think it is brought up because white people take quite a beating for slavery and they use this for a little padding and it is true. I don't believe Americans searched out slaves directly in Africa, I believe the Dutch were responsible for most of the slave market and sold slaves to Americans. There is slavery practiced in Africa to this day.

https://face2faceafrica.com/article/...y-africa-today

Old 02-03-2021, 11:33 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Why does the subject of slavery have to come up at all?
Because slavery is the reason Black Americans are here in the first place.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:41 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Would you prefer they were eaten in Africa?

Just FYI, that option is still available to you.

Old 02-03-2021, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Would you prefer they were eaten in Africa?

Just FYI, that option is still available to you.
I would expect such a reply from you. I view things like this. If said person is so sick of hearing about slavery, too bad. I have to hear about "Black people commit so much crime" and "Black people cause so many problems". I brought up what I brought up because it's a fact. Black Americans only got here because of slavery. And then that was followed by Jim Crow. 1970 to now is the most free Blacks have ever been.

And the fact that you think I would be eaten in Africa speaks to you thinking of Black people as inferior. I can't think of any other reason you would make such a comment.

Old 02-03-2021, 12:10 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Why does that matter. The Irish are here due to political and religious persecution, as are many nationalities. Then there are the 50K to 120K British convicts that were sent to and sold in America.

Is slavery constantly brought up in Portugal, Spain and France? What about the Middle East? Did those Africans go willingly?

Old 02-03-2021, 12:19 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Yeah but the slavery started in Africa.

Old 02-03-2021, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Why does that matter. The Irish are here due to political and religious persecution, as are many nationalities. Then there are the 50K to 120K British convicts that were sent to and sold in America.

Is slavery constantly brought up in Portugal, Spain and France? What about the Middle East? Did those Africans go willingly?
It matters because it's the ONLY reason Blacks got here in the first place. Blacks en masse were the only group in America in which the vast majority were slaves, not even counted as human beings. It matters because it makes up a large portion of the time Black Americans have been here.

And we're talking about America, not the Middle East or anywhere else.

Old 02-03-2021, 12:59 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
It matters because it's the ONLY reason Blacks got here in the first place. Blacks en masse were the only group in America in which the vast majority were slaves, not even counted as human beings. It matters because it makes up a large portion of the time Black Americans have been here.

And we're talking about America, not the Middle East or anywhere else.
Again why does it matter.
The only reason Black were in the places I mentioned was due to slavery. So why in America dose slavery have to be brought up anytime you speak of blacks, its not so in these other countries as far as Im aware. Those blacks had the same history.

How can you move forward when you cant get out of the past. I assume BHM is meant to celebrate the accomplishments of Black Americans, not to relive slavery. Seems to me the black community has been doing everything in their power to erase historical evidence of slavery.

Old 02-03-2021, 01:02 PM

956 posts, read 745,415 times
Bet, NAACP, black History month, BLM, Any of this tried for white people and it would be labeled racist..What happened to this new "Unity" just more liberal BS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies