Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2021, 06:06 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,562,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
This is what A LOT of people are missing. Slavery WAS Black Africans' culture at the time (and still is in some areas of Africa). I thought we were supposed to be sensitive to and respect others' cultures. So, the slavery of Blacks (to a very small degree compared to elsewhere in the new world) continued in the US. And Blacks incessantly complain that their culture was respected?

Atlantic Slave Trade Distribution Map - National Geographic
So slavery was the culture of those living on the Continent? They did nothing else but be slaves interesting. So Europeans learned chattel slavery from Africa too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2021, 06:10 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Interesting tid bit about that:

https://face2faceafrica.com/article/...gle-came-visit

As a young famous accomplished champion, he was very ignorant of his African roots and spoke out of tone... he himself framed his views based on stereotypes of Africa as he knew very little about. Fortunately, much of that changed as he actually grew up, and matured. To be harsh... my feeling was that he was ignorant and high on himself.

Not to say anything bad. about him. he is a Champion boxer... and deservingly should be recognized as such. In the end that's about it when it comes to the topic of racism and civil rights. His main contribution to the cause that most people would remember is refusing to join the military after the draft for Vietnam War. While it was against his Muslim beliefs, he also said that it was another example of a White US government forcing African Americans to do their work.... I hated hearing that as there are thousands of fellow non-black citizens that died in that same war.
Ali told the truth.

The option to live a life of their fellow African is still there today. Yet almost no black Americans take that opportunity.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:11 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Which black person is equivalent to Newton, Darwin, Einstein, or Washington? I would be happy to learn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Garrett Morgan, Elijah "The Real McCoy" McCoy to name a few. All one has to do is look.
Yes, to look at some of the ridiculous "black inventor" propaganda generated by Black History Month one would think so. Just google American inventors and you'll "discover" that most of America's leading technological innovators have been black. Even the POTUS believes this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE-cNtF1wjM

Old 02-03-2021, 06:11 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,562,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
have you ever heard the term "slippery slope argument"?
These fools aren't that aware of the logical fallacies they have in their arsenal. It's funny recognizing them.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:27 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Which black person is equivalent to Newton, Darwin, Einstein, or Washington? I would be happy to learn.

Yes, to look at some of the ridiculous "black inventor" propaganda generated by Black History Month one would think so. Just google American inventors and you'll "discover" that most of America's leading technological innovators have been black. Even the POTUS believes this stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE-cNtF1wjM
It’s called brainwashing.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:34 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,223,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Yup.... the rest of the year.
Canada doesn't have Chinese-Canadian and Southeast Asian-Canadian months? Native Canadian?

These are all larger groups than Black-Canadians

Old 02-03-2021, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Why are some people against Black History Month?

Roxanne Jones, a vice president of ESPN, answers that question here:

Quote:
(CNN) Once upon a time, I loved Black History Month.
---
Then, as the years passed so did my childlike joy. I reconsidered Black History Month and realized I resented it -- because it was not enough.
As a Black woman, I longed to shine all year, to see my family story and the contributions of my people reflected not only in my classrooms but every part of American life — not just at home in the Black history books I devoured.
Now, after feeling terrorized and traumatized through the Trump era, after witnessing a White supremacist insurrection at the US Capitol, living through a pandemic that continues to ravage Black and brown communities and enduring year after year of police killings of unarmed Black people — try as I might, I'm feeling anything but celebratory this February.
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/02/02/o...nes/index.html
that woman is ignorant. truly. and if any "Black people" are looking to her for answers and inspiration, they are fools.

Old 02-03-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Lost all credibility right here:
now, after feeling terrorized and traumatized through the Trump era, after witnessing a White supremacist insurrection at the US Capitol, living through a pandemic that continues to ravage Black and brown communities and enduring year after year of police killings of unarmed Black people — try as I might, I'm feeling anything but celebratory this February.

this is the kind of crap that turns people against being open to learn any black history much less desire to.
and you and I seem to be semi-moderate, open to consideration kind of people.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It matters because it's the ONLY reason Blacks got here in the first place. Blacks en masse were the only group in America in which the vast majority were slaves, not even counted as human beings. It matters because it makes up a large portion of the time Black Americans have been here.

And we're talking about America, not the Middle East or anywhere else.
you make very good points.

one big problem - not necessarily with you - are the claims that slavery was a uniquely American problem.

We weren't the first to have slavery, nor the first to stop the practice of slavery.

We wanted and still want to be the best freakin' country on the planet, in the history of the planet. With that comes the acknowledgement of mistakes and wrongs, and a willingness to overcome them.

What I've come to learn, realize and believe - so far - is that when the Federal government took steps and allowed steps to continue subjugating Blacks after the 14th Amendment - that was systemically wrong and systemic racism.

Old 02-03-2021, 07:25 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,639,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Why don't we have 4 presidents. One for blacks, one for Asians, one for Trump supporters , and one for anyone who don't fit in any of these groups.
Do the Asian Trump supporters have to pick one or the other, or do they get to have two presidents?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies