Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2021, 09:32 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Which cultures?

There is no such thing as “African Blacks.” Also slavery among certain African cultures was not necessarily the same as American slavery which was an extreme version of what the British did to the Irish.
It was exactly the same. Slaves were the property of the owner (chattel), and were made to work with all the fruits of their labor accruing only to the slaves' owner.

Quote:
The US did not need many exports directly from Africa as they had plenty land to force slaves to reproduce.
That's BS logic, and you know it. South America had plenty of land but received 8 times the amount of slaves Africans exported to the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2021, 10:25 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Ali told the truth.

The option to live a life of their fellow African is still there today. Yet almost no black Americans take that opportunity.
That's the thing... As a young fighter with little knowledge of Africa, he made comments based on that limited knowledge and reliance of stereotypes.. His "truth" was reflected in comments like this:

"To me, the U.S.A. is still the best country in the world, counting yours. It may be hard to eat sometimes, but anyhow I ain’t fighting alligators and living in a mud hut"

Only to later visit and see things for himself. Thus his "truth" changed and is noted to say things like:

"I am glad to tell our people that there are more things to be seen in Africa than lions and elephants. They never told us about your beautiful flowers, magnificent hotels, beautiful houses, beaches, great hospitals, schools, and universities,""

It is disingenuous to quote his youthful ignorance and ignore his wiser more mature self. Its awful to use comments made during his ignorant youthful time to reflect on African Americans people in general. We all say and do stupid things in our youth.... they don't define us... they certainly don't define our people as a whole.

Old 02-04-2021, 10:58 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I posted it. READ.
You have yet to post anything substantiating your claim and you won’t answer any questions.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:02 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Quote:
It was exactly the same. Slaves were the property of the owner (chattel), and were made to work with all the fruits of their labor accruing only to the slaves' owner.
No, it was not exactly the same. From YOUR LINK:

Quote:
In contrast to the chattel slavery that later developed in the New World, an enslaved person in West and Central Africa lived within a more flexible kinship group system. Anyone considered a slave in this region before the trans-Atlantic trade had a greater chance of becoming free within a lifetime; legal rights were generally not defined by racial categories; and an enslaved person was not always permanently separated from biological family networks or familiar home landscapes.
Did you even bother to read the information on the website you provided? Again, where is this “race based society heritage” that you claimed existed in Africa prior to Europeans? Neither was slavery the same. The website you provided explains that.

Quote:
That's BS logic, and you know it. South America had plenty of land but received 8 times the amount of slaves Africans exported to the US.
What are you talking about? Often in the Caribbean and Latin America, the slave population was replenished with slaves directly from Africa. There is a reason why you have more linguistic retention among Yoruba descendants, for example. In certain places, they were some of the more recent groups replenished.

Frankly, it doesn’t seem like you have the depth of knowledge on this subject and/or your racial ideology clouds desire to discuss details.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:19 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,879,277 times
Quote:
Where is the dispute? Still waiting.
If Europeans enslaved other Europeans, and sold them to African explorers and traders, as a white person I would put most of the blame on the Europeans than the Africans. I think it is worse to enslave those more like your own, than someone that is clearly foreign and an outsider.

The European explorers at first likely didn't know what to make of Africans and how they should deal with them. There was no scientific concept of races really in 1500s to early 1800s. "Race" at that time would mean any common nation of people. The English were a "race", the Spanish, French, Portuguese etc too, and even though they were familiar with one another they were all rivals. The Europeans took the lead from Africans to trade them as slaves.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
If Europeans enslaved other Europeans, and sold them to African explorers and traders, as a white person I would put most of the blame on the Europeans than the Africans. I think it is worse to enslave those more like your own, than someone that is clearly foreign and an outsider.

The European explorers at first likely didn't know what to make of Africans and how they should deal with them. There was no scientific concept of races really in 1500s to early 1800s. "Race" at that time would mean any common nation of people. The English were a "race", the Spanish, French, Portuguese etc too, and even though they were familiar with one another they were all rivals. The Europeans took the lead from Africans to trade them as slaves.
Exactly. Chattel slavery was Africans' cultural norm; it's how they lived. Chattel slavery, as it existed in the US, was a cultural norm exported from Africa. Don't like that cultural norm? Blame the culture from which it came: Africans.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Yet you people have no problem with the same comparison in the US. It’s the best of Asians and Africans that you compare against African-Americans. But now you don’t like it when it’s Africans and Asians doing better than whites.

Noting the hypocrisy.
Some people might do that but I don't compare Americans to selective immigrants. What I say is the vast mixed white American population's average school performance is a close representation of European average overall, as the vast black American population is close to representative of population averages in Africa.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Exactly. Chattel slavery was Africans' cultural norm; it's how they lived. Chattel slavery, as it existed in the US, was a cultural norm exported from Africa. Don't like that cultural norm? Blame the culture from which it came: Africans.
And it got passed on to the British America sort of dumped on them by the traders. And the libertarian British government in the colonies of the time allowed what had become precedent to proceed.

Old 02-04-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
No, it was not exactly the same. From YOUR LINK:

Did you even bother to read the information on the website you provided? Again, where is this “race based society heritage” that you claimed existed in Africa prior to Europeans? Neither was slavery the same. The website you provided explains that.
"Greater chance of becoming free?" How does that work when their African masters (owners) originally sold them (as chattel) to slave traders who loaded them onto boats headed almost entirely to Central and Soth America?

You seem to be looking for a way to blame anyone other than the Africans who exported their cultural norm: chattel slavery, to the US and much more frequently and in much greater numbers, to Central and South America.

Old 02-04-2021, 01:14 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,562,707 times
Quote:
Man, stop the bloviating. Europeans practiced the Arab/Islamic form. The form of slavery or servitude in West Africa was a form where the Slave was still part of society....that was not the case in the Americas. Also saying it was African culture is just as wrong as saying that slavery was Greek or Roman culture. It was a part of their culture just like it was in this country.

The main thing that you're missing are the systematic restraints that was placed on my people through to to the Civil Rights period. I will give credit to Northern Euro Americans though because they wanted to bring AA's into the Capitalistic Society and did during Reconstruction but pissed that away by allowing us to get F'd over by their fellow European Americans...we went right back to being 3rd class citizens with more systematic restraints placed on us.

I'm not asking for sympathy from you or anyone else but our history is important to us and we can't be lost. When we learn about ourselves, we learn a ton about Euro Americans. You, Kav, Rachel may feel salty and uncomfortable that we're constantly uncovering what seems like some racial stuff but a lot of these things actually happened and it was more uncomfortable for the so-called Blacks going through it. I mean, I want to see a Red Summer series or movie and we definitely need to tell the story of Black Wallstreet. The Eugenics movement still lingers on today with bad pseudo science, that needs to be fought against and stamped out. If the roles were reversed, I wouldn't be fighting against obvious BS. I'd be more empathetic, realistic and objective. Slavery was a few generations ago and the Civil Rights period was one to two generations ago.

Nobody wants a universal basic income. We're doing our part in repairing by telling certain stories, correcting lies, and helping our own people in other ways. I'm kind of puzzled that 14% percent is even drawing this response from Euro Americans (If I Euro American, I'd look at BHM the same way I look at Hispanic Heritage Month now or other months...."I get it, let them do them.....let me grab some of this good arroz con pollo and talk to a this Cuban lady in my broken Spanish until she switches to English." Some of of you Euro Americans are going the sociopathic route and getting triggered with see AA's in a damn commercial. Smh, we know maga types are bold enough to act out on impulses.... AA's don't go out like Ahmaud).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies