Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2021, 07:04 AM

88,991 posts, read 44,793,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Chicago Public Schools still not in session.
Exactly. Thanks to the Dem teachers unions. And who suffers the most educational setbacks because of that? The poor and minorities.

Will everyone now finally admit that Democrats are racists, hell-bent on continuing their racial oppression via the US public education system?

Quote:
"Despite the enormous attention devoted to the achievement gap, it has remained a stubborn feature of the US education system...

Unfortunately, the past decade has seen little progress in narrowing these disparities. The average black or Hispanic student remains roughly two years behind the average white one"
https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/...st-a-lifetime#
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 10:28 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Still, they have no more right to be called native Americans than anyone else that was born here. Back then no one was native to this country all of our ancestors migrated here from somewhere else so they weren't natives.

No one is denying that there weren't people here before the wave of Europeans came here but they migrated here just as the Europeans did so no, they weren't natives.
America's, the nation, origins trace back to Jamestown. America didn't exist before then. The original native Americans were the colonists. Indians were natives to 100s of tribal nations. But I agree anyone born in America (to a legal person) is a native not just descendants of Indians and of the colonists.

Last edited by mtl1; 02-05-2021 at 10:37 AM..

Old 02-05-2021, 10:33 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,553,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Still, they have no more right to be called native Americans than anyone else that was born here. Back then no one was native to this country all of our ancestors migrated here from somewhere else so they weren't natives.

No one is denying that there weren't people here before the wave of Europeans came here but they migrated here just as the Europeans did so no, they weren't natives.
So now you have a problem with the term native Americans? Seriously? When does your outrage end, huh? Until whites can claim king of the world & eradicate any & all evidence of any other race existing? It just never ends with you.

Old 02-06-2021, 07:26 PM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
I live in a rural area of what which could be considered close to the "deep South".

I have lived here for over 25 years.

I have never, ever heard anyone, say they had a "problem" with Black History Month.

Depends on who you meet and where you live. I live in the Deep South too. I have met people who have a problem with Black History Month.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:35 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,169,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Explain how a chattel slave in Africa becomes free? It's well-known that they were captured by other Africans and sold or traded for profit.

Can you prove that Black Africans didn't capture and sell other formerly free Black Africans into slavery for their own profit before they even stepped foot in the new world?

Come on... You know damned well chattel slavery was fully ensconced as a societal norm in Africa among Blacks long before the Atlantic Slave Trade ever started. It's how they lived. For centuries. Blacks captured and enslaved other Blacks. Many were frequently sold for profit.
Spare me your attempt to twist the conversation and put words in my mouth. You posted an article that said the opposite of what you are claiming. My discussion was with regards to specific African cultures/tribes. However, you’re insistent on all of this “black†this and that, trying to impose your racial ideology and group every one the same. Race is your culture though so you refuse to operate outside of it. So carry on.

Old 02-07-2021, 04:42 AM

88,991 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Spare me your attempt to twist the conversation and put words in my mouth. You posted an article that said the opposite of what you are claiming.
No it didn't.

Quote:
My discussion was with regards to specific African cultures/tribes. However, you’re insistent on all of this “black†this and that, trying to impose your racial ideology and group every one the same. Race is your culture though so you refuse to operate outside of it. So carry on.
It's not any particular ideology. It's just African culture, how they lived for centuries. And then they exported it across the Atlantic. Listen to what someone who has experienced that culture has to say about it:

Quote:
"Nwaubani Ogogo lived in a time when the fittest survived and the bravest excelled. The concept of "all men are created equal" was completely alien to traditional religion and law in his society.

It would be unfair to judge a 19th Century man by 21st Century principles.

Assessing the people of Africa's past by today's standards would compel us to cast the majority of our heroes as villains, denying us the right to fully celebrate anyone who was not influenced by Western ideology.

Igbo slave traders like my great-grandfather did not suffer any crisis of social acceptance or legality. They did not need any religious or scientific justifications for their actions. They were simply living the life into which they were raised.

That was all they knew
."
'My Nigerian great-grandfather sold slaves' by Adaobi Tricia Nwaubani - BBC

Old 02-07-2021, 04:52 AM

34,228 posts, read 18,567,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanGuitarist View Post
Would be nice to see people as people, instead of labeled as a color.
The Democrat/MEDIA/TECH Alliance uses it to divide, control and grow their power and influence. It's working.

Old 02-07-2021, 04:55 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,254,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm King View Post
Firstly, I want to wish everyone a Happy Black History Month this year regardless of political beliefs. However, why is it even political in the first place? It is a month to celebrate important people and events in the African American community, who pioneered change and freedom for their community. Why are some people against honoring such a month to a group that has suffered so much oppression and violence in American history and nevertheless persevered.
Things like Black History month, Black Entertainment Television, and BLM are why this country is so damn divided. So I am not going to wish you a happy black history month.

Can't we all just be "Americans" and treat each other equally?

Old 02-07-2021, 06:53 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,990,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm King View Post
Firstly, I want to wish everyone a Happy Black History Month this year regardless of political beliefs. However, why is it even political in the first place? It is a month to celebrate important people and events in the African American community, who pioneered change and freedom for their community. Why are some people against honoring such a month to a group that has suffered so much oppression and violence in American history and nevertheless persevered.

What would happen if there was a White History Month?

Black History Money is discriminatory and racist.
Black Entertainment Television is discriminatory and racist.

Old 02-07-2021, 07:30 AM

72,981 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Things like Black History month, Black Entertainment Television, and BLM are why this country is so damn divided. So I am not going to wish you a happy black history month.

Can't we all just be "Americans" and treat each other equally?
This country was divided before all of those things came up. Those things exist BECAUSE America was so divided for so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies