Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2021, 09:41 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,505,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Personally, I've never been for or against "Black History" month. It's been a thing as far back as I can remember, and over the years for me it has simply been a time when I might learn something new about a historical black figure. I remember doing a few projects in school over the years for "black history" month. You know, book reports and such on a historical black man/woman of my choosing. Again, I had no problem with that and in fact enjoyed learning about these people and listening to my classmate's reports on their chosen subjects. These are essentially my feelings about "Black History" month.

Now, let me address all the users on this thread who have done nothing but talk about all the "white" history months we supposedly celebrate each year. What are you talking about? I mean yeah, sure, you can google it and you'll be told what month it is. But none of these "white history" months are ever talked about. I have never in my life seen a TV commercial or television show devoted to celebrating "Irish American" month or "Asian American" month. Nor did I ever experience any special assignments in school over the years, where I was asked to chose an historical "Italian" American to do a book report on. These months may exist, but they receive none of the hype that "Black History" month receives, and I think that may be what bothers some people. Simply saying "well there are all kinds of white history months" doesn't change the fact that none of them receive any sort of attention. Yet every year we are inundated with a constant barrage of information all through February about "Black History". It's a major media operation and nearly every network out there takes part in some way, shape, or form. These other "history months" may exist, but they receive none of the same treatment or fanfare.
To your astute and well-articulated points, I would add that if we are incorporating Critical Race Theory into the public schools and going overboard with recognition of black people,* there is no longer a need for Black History Month.

Also, someone upthread mentioned Jewish History Month. I’ve been Jewish for 60+ years, and this is the first I’ve heard about it.

* By this I mean that the majority of commercials have black families, and at least half the advertising models are black, and there are signs in every other store about “Black Lives Matter,” and black-owned brands are being identified so people can support those over whites, and a president who says he will give priority to getting black-owned businesses back on their feet, and a VP who says her role is to let Biden know how policies affect black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2021, 10:25 AM

6,993 posts, read 2,709,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
It’s time to move on. Blacks have it better now in America than in most of the world. Get on with life. I don’t think anyone cares much about the same old stories year after year. It’s getting boring.
The mini-series "Roots" is currently being broadcast on the Sundance channel right this minute. Get ready for another crop of upset black youth looking for trouble.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:10 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,670,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I have no problem with the concept of it but what ends up happening is that it stokes more anger as evidenced by my prior mentioned episode where I was almost killed. I think we are talking TOO much about race and that is what keeps racism alive and well.
You seem to feel you were "almost killed", well three of thugs did rob and kill my family member who was about to graduate from college with much to contribute to society. Today, the tree thugs are a burden to the tax payers at the Ohio State Penn. Wishing them all they deserve for Valentine's Day and beyond. Sadly, the thug who shot and killed a family friend while closing his new bookstore at the end of the day is still on the lose after many years. Their lives matter!

Their violence is NOTHING celebrate; not for a second, minute, hour, day, week, or month.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgh guy View Post
Every race has its downside, but God forbid you say anything positive about European Americans (Whites)who are responsible for 95% of all advances in all fields.

Exactly, so don't let those people put their monkey your back. Be proud that we have contributed so much to the benefit of all nations.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:21 AM

21,934 posts, read 9,508,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
You seem to feel you were "almost killed", well three of thugs did rob and kill my family member who was about to graduate from college with much to contribute to society. Today, the tree thugs are a burden to the tax payers at the Ohio State Penn. Wishing them all they deserve for Valentine's Day and beyond. Sadly, the thug who shot and killed a family friend while closing his new bookstore at the end of the day is still on the lose after many years. Their lives matter!

Their violence is NOTHING celebrate; not for a second, minute, hour, day, week, or month.
I am sorry to hear it, Heidi.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
It seems that some, if not many or most, in the Black Community do not like America and do not embrace being American just like Michelle Obama.
The obama's have made a living off the American taxpayer but they still hate America - where else could that scam have worked so well?

Old 02-02-2021, 11:23 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Every month is white history month.

The concept of a period of special study of black history was created a hundred years ago by a black man specifically for black people because the contributions of black people to American society had been (and largely still are) excluded from the American history black people were exposed to in white historical accounts.

It was not intended for white people. Indeed, at that time there was no expectation whatsoever that white people would ever be interested in black history. It was by a black man for black people.

I don't care even today if white people participate or "celebrate" black American history. I'd argue that whites pushing black history is more another ploy to do the least amount possible for black people yet claim they've done something significant.
Is it called white history month?

I thought we should be judged by our characters not by our skin color. I guess I am wrong.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:30 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Exactly, so don't let those people put their monkey your back. Be proud that we have contributed so much to the benefit of all nations.
World War 1, World War 2, Holocaust, Vietnam War, Korean War, 400 years of chattel slavery, Black Plague, Joseph Stalin, Civil War, Cold War(10’s of thousands of planet ending nukes), Jim Crow. It seems the more one perceived group accomplished is somehow due to atrocities and calamities. Stop grinning with your white pride and realize you are merely conflating your own ego. The worlds advances and dilemmas are due to one thing; humans, all of us.

Every President of the US has been tall, are you? I doubt it. Now lay down in shame.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:33 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
How many times does this rhetorical question have to be asked on this same thread? Is there some rule or checklist that requires the subject of Africans selling Africans to be pointed out EVERY. SINGLE. TIME. the subject of slavery comes up? What is the point? There is no one left on the planet who doesn't know that Africans in Africa sold other Africans to European slavers. You are not imparting any new information or making any contribution to the conversation here. It's like repeating 2+2=4 over and over again. Everybody knows it. READ THE POST/conversation to which you are responding before you come rushing up in here waving your arms, wild-eyed, hair standing on end, to type something irrelevant.

Someone said specifically that Africans brought other Africans here on ships. No, they didn't. It's simply a fact, and I was correcting it and providing historical information on the DeWolf family. That's all.

I guess it's my own fault for thinking people might actually like to learn some history. Wrong forum for that, lol.
When your comments stop ignoring the facts and direct focus to big bad Europeans dragging Africans to the Americas against their will. Does it need to be pointed out every single time that slaves did not come here voluntarily on passenger ships. Is there no one left on the planet that doesn't know they were brought against their will.
Perhaps if you stop repeating that, others will stop pointing out the rest of the story.

Old 02-02-2021, 11:36 AM

4,483 posts, read 5,331,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
World War 1, World War 2, Holocaust, Vietnam War, Korean War, 400 years of chattel slavery, Black Plague, Joseph Stalin, Civil War, Cold War(10’s of thousands of planet ending nukes), Jim Crow. It seems the more one perceived group accomplished is somehow due to atrocities and calamities. Stop grinning with your white pride and realize you are merely conflating your own ego. The worlds advances and dilemmas are due to one thing; humans, all of us.

Every President of the US has been tall, are you? I doubt it. Now lay down in shame.
World War 2: many of the atrocities and suffering were perpetrated by the Japanese military. The Japanese are not white.

The Korean War claimed mostly nonwhite victims: Koreans and Chinese.

Vietnam: a lot of nonwhites died.

Slavery: it existed everywhere, in all continents, before the first time a white European ever saw a black African (and this encounter happened arguably before Christ's time). And it was white Europeans who created the idea that all men were created equally before the law and white Europeans (more specifically, evangelical Christians from England) who pushed that. White Europeans (including the English navy) sailed after slave trading ships. Even the Germans executed slave traders they apprehended in their African colonies on the spot.

Joseph Stalin: um... he was white, but he was a Slav. By your reasoning, hold accountable every black and Asian and Middle Eastern despot. How many do you think died due to Mao's ludicrous policies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies