Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2021, 06:44 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,701,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Oh no, that's awful. This is what I am afraid we are going to be hearing more & more of.
See? That's what I mean. No thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2021, 06:46 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,701,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
I am not an anti-vaxxer, as some narrow-minded people like to call it. However, I question the rationale of taking a vaccine for a disease that I have a 98.3% chance of survival. If your chances swing toward the other end, I fully support it.

I supported Dad in taking the vaccine. I sincerely regret that decision with all of my heart.
No No NO! Don't regret it. We're all being pressured into doing things now that normally we wouldn't be doing. Called names if we choose not to. Your dad made it through for a reason. It wasn't his time. Don't beat yourself up about that. Please. Now, just enjoy him and hug the beans out of him. Quite a run for 90, I must say. Kudos to him

Old 02-09-2021, 07:39 PM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sholomar View Post
I was at the physical therapist and all the employees there had got their vaccine. No side effects perceived other than being a bit run down after dose 2.
My fear is what the long term consequences might be.

Old 02-09-2021, 07:50 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,423,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
My fear is what the long term consequences might be.
Me too. No one can predict what delayed adverse effects there might be. And there probably won't be any way to prove they resulted from the vaccine.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:05 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight_thunder View Post
You can listen to a bunch of ignoramuses on CD, or you can research the processes of each vaccine trial (and its results) in each country. There are a lot of regulators taking close looks at the efficacy of these vaccines.

You can start at this site: https://www.fda.gov/emergency-prepar...id-19-vaccines

There are plenty of loud people on the internet who will tell you that you cant trust experts. Consider the motives of these people. At the end of the day, yes, these vaccines were approved much faster than any vaccines ever. But consider that BioNTech developed, DEVELOPED the vaccine as early as January of last year, and have been testing it on people for months. Same story with Moderna. These two vaccines are not only safe, but contain no live or dead virus whatsoever. The worst thing that could happen if you take these vaccines is that they wont work 100%. But these vaccines DO prevent against serious illness 100% of the time.

Listen to the experts. Yes, you will probably feel some side effects from taking the vaccine. If you reach back into your memory, you might remember feeling side effects from other vaccines. Side effects are your body's way of signaling that you're generating an immune response. THIS IS GOOD.

Please, please, please, do some research. If you don't trust the FDA (not sure why you wouldn't) Canada, UK, and the EU are going through the same approval processes too.
According to what i have read, these vaccines were the research that began in the Obama admin. re H1N1 but it wasn't needed. So some research had already begun.

Quote:
Where did you get your degree in immunology?

This is not my field of expertise. Luckily, we have experts whose job it is to review trials and claims made by drug companies. Do you really think a drug company just rolls up to the FDA with some powerpoints and walks away with an emergency use authorization? The Astra Zeneca vaccine is held up by the FDA as we speak because AZ screwed up its trial and is now trying to fix mistakes.

I understand why it is alluring to just distrust everybody save for the people that tell you what you want to hear. I sometimes fall for this too. But I believe we have extremely smart people in charge of the approval process for vaccines in the USA. I also trust this to be true for Canada, UK, and the EU.

Are you really saying you don't trust experts? That you don't trust the country's regulatory scheme? I know cynicism is rampant amongst conservatives writ large, but to simply distrust everything and everyone (except Trump?) is a miserable way to live.
There has simply not been time for the FDA to make a thorough vetting of the current vaccines. It was fast tracked and you should know that.

Quote:
Ok, so you have a conclusion in mind, and you seem to be searching for facts that support that conclusion. As of today, millions upon millions of people have been vaccinated. Zero deaths. Or do you think its a cover up? Show me evidence, because otherwise its a conspiracy theory. And a bad one at that.

Next, you clearly fail to understand how this vaccine has been approved. I don't accept what drug companies say, because they have motives in conflict with mine. I DO accept what the FDA says, since they are experts, and I am not. Are you an expert?

Finally, the FDA doesn't just believe what drug companies say; that's ludicrous. Regulators pour over the data, too slow for some. Also, we have regulators around the world looking at the data from Pfizer, Moderna, et al. I trust experts to tell me the truth. If you don't that is an entirely separate problem from the question of whether vaccines have side effects. They do, btw, and that's okay.
I do not blindly believe "the experts" all the time. Especially after there has been so much misinformation and distrust in the last few years. There have been many coverups over the years. Remember the black people who were injected with syphlis by researchers (the military ?) in the 1940's. Big old coverup.

You are a fool to berate someone for asking legitimate questions.

edited to add: Let us not forget our good Dr. Fauci, who has contradicted himself so many times in the last year. Wear masks, dont wear masks, wear 2 masks and various and sundry other stupidity.

Last edited by AnnieA; 02-09-2021 at 08:27 PM..

Old 02-09-2021, 08:21 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,423,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
According to what i have read, these vaccines were the research that began in the Obama admin. re H1N1 but it wasn't needed. So some research had already begun.

There has simply not been time for the FDA to make a thorough vetting of the current vaccines. It was fast tracked and you should know that.

I do not blindly believe "the experts" all the time. Especially after there has been so much misinformation and distrust in the last few years. There have been many coverups over the years. Remember the black people who were injected with syphlis by researchers (the military ?) in the 1940's. Big old coverup.

You are a fool to berate someone for asking legitimate questions.
We seem to have an expert-worshiping cult now in this country. We have a priesthood of experts who must not be questioned or doubted, kind of like the Catholic Church in the middle ages.

When we stop questioning and doubting, we become helpless. We give all our power over to the priesthood, we go back to times when authorities had to be trusted and obeyed.

Yes, I realize that someone with degrees and decades of experience should be LISTENED to. At the same time, we must be aware that experts are fallible humans and can be wrong, and can be motivated by career pressures, groupthink and financial rewards.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:30 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,633,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
We seem to have an expert-worshiping cult now in this country. We have a priesthood of experts who must not be questioned or doubted, kind of like the Catholic Church in the middle ages.

When we stop questioning and doubting, we become helpless. We give all our power over to the priesthood, we go back to times when authorities had to be trusted and obeyed.

Yes, I realize that someone with degrees and decades of experience should be LISTENED to. At the same time, we must be aware that experts are fallible humans and can be wrong, and can be motivated by career pressures, groupthink and financial rewards.
Good post. Well thought out and reasonable. I think it is people still spreading the unbelievable and expecting people to accept things slavishly and something is wrong with us, if we don't. That is how we got to this place that we are at, a broken country.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:45 PM

1,969 posts, read 544,551 times
follow the money and power and there is the truth.

who benefits from covid. big pharma and big tech. china is in the mix.

good luck young people.

Old 02-09-2021, 08:50 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
There have been many coverups over the years. Remember the black people who were injected with syphlis by researchers (the military ?) in the 1940's. Big old coverup.
The Tuskegee experiment was awful but the men in it were not deliberately infected. They were not treated when an effective treatment was available.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:48 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
You can listen to a bunch of ignoramuses on CD, or you can research the processes of each vaccine trial (and its results) in each country. There are a lot of regulators taking close looks at the efficacy of these vaccines.

You can start at this site: https://www.fda.gov/emergency-prepar...id-19-vaccines

There are plenty of loud people on the internet who will tell you that you cant trust experts. Consider the motives of these people. At the end of the day, yes, these vaccines were approved much faster than any vaccines ever. But consider that BioNTech developed, DEVELOPED the vaccine as early as January of last year, and have been testing it on people for months. Same story with Moderna. These two vaccines are not only safe, but contain no live or dead virus whatsoever. The worst thing that could happen if you take these vaccines is that they wont work 100%. But these vaccines DO prevent against serious illness 100% of the time.

Listen to the experts. Yes, you will probably feel some side effects from taking the vaccine. If you reach back into your memory, you might remember feeling side effects from other vaccines. Side effects are your body's way of signaling that you're generating an immune response. THIS IS GOOD.

Please, please, please, do some research. If you don't trust the FDA (not sure why you wouldn't) Canada, UK, and the EU are going through the same approval processes too.

The numbskulls who refuse to get vaccinated, no matter what, will sabotage the efforts to establish a control over the spread of the virus. It's equally important to prevent so many from spreading the disease as it is to keep each individual immune from suffering from it. These anti-vaxxers are thinking only of themselves and their resistance to government. Younger people who think that they won't have serious cases of it, are forgetting that they have family and friends who are not young and also are overlooking the reality that they, themselves, will one day be older, if they're lucky. A society can be judged by how well it treats its older members, as well as others who are disadvantaged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies