Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 01:08 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times

Advertisements

I dont care what it is named to be honest. But I do feel Trump committed a crime in how he valued it. And the people who accepted that valuation should not be employed doing that. They are....incompetent at best.

But me "feeling" he committed a crime doesn't make it so. And no for those wondering, I dont think this is something he should go to jail for either barring more evidence. It does to me say it should be investigated, and if he is found to have defrauded the state, then charge him for the money, and charge him with a crime if it appears he knowingly did so.

But hes wealthy, and powerful so we know....nothings going to happen. And that corruption of our system should horrify anyone who cares about us as a country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 01:54 PM

2,361 posts, read 1,753,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Just turn it into a toxic waste dump; problem solved.
Again, have you seen this "park"? It's entirely your plan would raise its' value.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:56 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
And -- if he donated without any condition on name -- then -- too bad, so sad, get over it.

By the way -- the campaign to change the name started in 2015.
TRANSLATION: You're right, hatred runs very deep among Democrats and the Left.

Old 02-12-2021, 02:12 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,418,936 times
I am sure the value of the land he donated is more than the than the value of the donations some of you all will ever give total in your life.

And no, not a Trump fan at all, but goodness, I think some of you all are completely delusional and suffer a mental illness of some sorts regarding him.

Old 02-12-2021, 02:30 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I dont care what it is named to be honest. But I do feel Trump committed a crime in how he valued it. And the people who accepted that valuation should not be employed doing that. They are....incompetent at best.

But me "feeling" he committed a crime doesn't make it so. And no for those wondering, I dont think this is something he should go to jail for either barring more evidence. It does to me say it should be investigated, and if he is found to have defrauded the state, then charge him for the money, and charge him with a crime if it appears he knowingly did so.

But hes wealthy, and powerful so we know....nothings going to happen. And that corruption of our system should horrify anyone who cares about us as a country.
If they determine there is a problem in accepting donated property valuations, I think that they should review ALL such deductions over that time period. (All meaning everyone, not just Trump).

I don't know anything about the rules, statute of limitations etc. I just don't think that if you identify a process that you don't think was done right that you need to review EVERYBODY.

Now wouldn't that get interesting among the extremely wealthy in the US....care to take a guess on the chances of that happening? Dibs on 0%.

Old 02-12-2021, 02:34 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,648,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
He dumped the land because it was useless. It was a bad business decision, he couldn't develop it so he 'donated' it -- meaning dumped it.

Think of it like the folks who walked away from their house because they owed more than it was worth.
My grandmother had a car, but she suffers from such severe rheumatoid arthritis that she's no longer able to get in and out of the vehicle. So she decided to donate it. But I guess, by your standards, the car had become useless to her, so she didn't donate it, she dumped it.

Also, if a person owes more on a house than it's worth, and walks away from it, there are still consequences for that homeowner. It's not like they are suddenly free and clear because they just stopped paying for it. Trump donated or GAVE this land to NY state free and clear. He OWNED it and then gave it away. It's not like NY state inherited a land payment when he gave the land to them. Your analogy doesn't work here. Sorry.

Old 02-12-2021, 02:37 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,678,119 times
LOL, very amusing thread. Face it people don't want a State Park named after a twice Impeached lying president. Not a whole lot of Parks or schools named after Nixon. trump did it to himself . Change the name!

Old 02-12-2021, 03:03 PM

6,739 posts, read 4,424,565 times
Dont make it sound like he's this great guy doing good for the public. If he did it, there's an angle in it for him.

''He donated it in 2006 after he was unable to gain town approvals to develop the property. At that time Trump claimed the parcel was worth $100 million. He used the donation as a tax write-off.''

'' Donald Trump donated land to the state of New York in 2006, but it was largely unused and officially closed in 2010 after budget cuts. The land is now considered a “passive park,” which means it is not maintained and has no amenities.''

Old 02-12-2021, 03:04 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,571,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
My grandmother had a car, but she suffers from such severe rheumatoid arthritis that she's no longer able to get in and out of the vehicle. So she decided to donate it. But I guess, by your standards, the car had become useless to her, so she didn't donate it, she dumped it.

Also, if a person owes more on a house than it's worth, and walks away from it, there are still consequences for that homeowner. It's not like they are suddenly free and clear because they just stopped paying for it. Trump donated or GAVE this land to NY state free and clear. He OWNED it and then gave it away. It's not like NY state inherited a land payment when he gave the land to them. Your analogy doesn't work here. Sorry.
Did your grandmother over estimate the value of the car on her taxes?

I'm assuming grandma is honest, so Monelli's analogy does work. There was a financial incentive for Trump to do what he did. Grandma, not so much.

Old 02-12-2021, 03:11 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,259,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If they determine there is a problem in accepting donated property valuations, I think that they should review ALL such deductions over that time period. (All meaning everyone, not just Trump).

I don't know anything about the rules, statute of limitations etc. I just don't think that if you identify a process that you don't think was done right that you need to review EVERYBODY.

Now wouldn't that get interesting among the extremely wealthy in the US....care to take a guess on the chances of that happening? Dibs on 0%.
I agree with you.
Seems like it is not done that often without a professional valuation attached. Rarely. It is a red flag and would be noticed by the IRS. Especially if it is that large a write off.
That's what makes it so unusual and so egregious.
Maybe someone (Trump) was trying to cheat on his taxes to get a bigger write off? Not proven yet but I'm guessing it will be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies