Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 09:34 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,426,662 times

Advertisements

If you search for information about the new mRNA vaccines by Moderna and Pfizer, you will find long lists of enthusiastic reports about effectiveness, and reassurance about safety. You will find that more and more Americans are willing to get these vaccines. And you will find very little skepticism or concerns. Well, unless you look at the unscientific anti-vax websites, but no one cares what they say.

So it looks like the case is closed, there is no reason to worry that your health could be damaged by these vaccines. Not getting vaccinated, on the other hand, could subject you to intense social pressure. You might even be accused of killing people by giving them the virus, or of preventing herd immunity. And people who don't have a vaccine pass may be prevented from living normally.

That is the side of the story we are told, so naturally we assume it is the only side. What we might not realize is that there has been a public relations campaign dedicated to convincing the public to be vaccinated. That means both sides of the story are not told, and only experts who approve of these vaccines can express their opinions online. With rare exceptions, that are getting harder to find.

Vaccines that use mRNA have never been used on large numbers of healthy people. The scientists who make them might think they know exactly what they are doing, but in reality most of what goes on inside living cells is not understood. Most RNA, and most DNA ,is not understood. Does it really make sense to trust these vaccine makers with our future health?

No longterm testing has been done, obviously, so no one can guess whether some people will experience longterm adverse effects. The public relations campaign reassures us, of course, that longterm side effects won't happen. They have no way to know that, with a new experimental vaccine technology, but they say it anyway.

And if longterm side effects occur, we probably won't even know about it. If the rate of alzheimer's disease increases, for example, we won't know if the vaccines caused it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 09:36 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,528,817 times
Pass.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:39 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,388,318 times
Fairly similar vaccines have been tested on humans for many years now. This is not quite as "new" as you make it sound. The mathematics of it, and probabilities say that vaccinate as many people as you can, as quick as you can. Mutations are showing up more rapidly now, and some of them arent playing as nice.

There are times to hesitate. This is not one of them. Get informed by non insane people. And no, random people generally arent smarter then the experts.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:42 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,528,817 times
There are no true "experts" with regards to this virus.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:51 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,661,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingertea View Post
Do what you want regarding the vaccine, OP. I will get it as soon as it becomes available to me.

Likewise...have been fighting for elderly mom to get it...waited a long time...gets second Pfizer shot this Friday...hopefully not delayed. Over 500K dead so far in US hits home...will get mine asap!!

Old 02-22-2021, 09:51 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,884,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
There are no true "experts" with regards to this virus.
Yes....there is still so much about this virus and the vaccines they do not know. I'm taking the wait and see approach for now and do not plan to get vaccinated. I don't take flu shots either even though they are free of charge. I don't trust big pharma....just listening to their drug commercials tells me all I need to know.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Fairly similar vaccines have been tested on humans for many years now. This is not quite as "new" as you make it sound. The mathematics of it, and probabilities say that vaccinate as many people as you can, as quick as you can. Mutations are showing up more rapidly now, and some of them arent playing as nice.

There are times to hesitate. This is not one of them. Get informed by non insane people. And no, random people generally arent smarter then the experts.
They were been tested on small numbers of sick people. Now is the first time they will be given to many millions. We don't know whether certain people may be susceptible to serious permanent health consequences.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
Yes....there is still so much about this virus and the vaccines they do not know. I'm taking the wait and see approach for now and do not plan to get vaccinated. I don't take flu shots either even though they are free of charge. I don't trust big pharma....just listening to their drug commercials tells me all I need to know.
Please reconsider it if we dont quite get to the herd immunity stage. That will be a while from now before we know, but a ton of people will have gone before you.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
I don't trust them at all. Their research is intentionally misleading. But people are desperate for the pandemic to end, and they will be vicious to anyone who resists the vaccines.

From what I have heard, the AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines use a more conventional technology. Hopefully, we will have the option to take those, if vaccines end up being forced on us. Which is very likely.

Old 02-22-2021, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
They were been tested on small numbers of sick people. Now is the first time they will be given to many millions. We don't know whether certain people may be susceptible to serious permanent health consequences.
We already have half a million dead. And the more infections the more likely we are to see more variations. Maybe we will get something that turns this into a cold, maybe we get something that makes us all allergic to meat. We just dont know, and there are some significant risks here.

And not only were they used years before, but tens of thousands of people were part of the drug trial.

Lets consider risks here.
The odds of Covid mutating into something even more scarier then the half a million dead Americans, and millions more suffering side effects from Covid that look pretty significant for some. Small odds of death, slightly higher odds of long term injury. And a risk of it turning into something truly insanely nasty that makes the half a million dead so far look like a weekly statistic.

Vs a method of vaccination used on people for years already, and a new version of it that has been tested on tens of thousands months ago, and now has millions of people vaccinated. Trivial odds of death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies