Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2021, 04:09 PM

1,503 posts, read 608,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
I paid a portion of the PROPERTY TAXES. There were no sales taxes paid when I purchased any of my properties, ZILCH, NADA. Yes, I also paid other closing costs but none of them were sales tax. Just the survey, inspection, recording fees, title policy and HOA dues, no sales taxes whatsoever.
I would extremely prefer to pay sales tax on property ONCE instead of property taxes being sucked from me every year. Actually, in my area sales tax equal to just 3.5 years of property tax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 04:10 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,401,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
Only if nobody is buying that lemonade, no matter how good it is (akin to nobody giving you a job for your degree no matter how good you are at at). Otherwise that 10 year old will get delusional that hard work can get you somewhere.
Or one day that little kid will grow up and realize that gig is a temporary thing and hopefully not try to support a family of four on it.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:11 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
That is INSANE!!!!! What state are these in?
Long Island, New York

Old 03-02-2021, 04:15 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Sure. I get that. I just hope you understand that billing criminals, who are in no position to pay after they've been arrested, and then waiting to collect on that bill in order to pay the cops who responded would lead to exactly 0 zero police in most of low-crime America, and underfunded police everywhere else.

Put it this way: Chicago's police budget was 1.75B in 2019. The arrested 91k people. For your plan to work... every person arrested would have to pay... $19k PER ARREST. That's not even counting court or jail fees.

You think the drunk driver or the guy going to jail for 5 years for assault has $19k just sitting in a bank account ready to pay out THIS YEAR?

Your ambulance example is an apples to orange comparison. That ambulance is paid for out of a greater operating budget that's funded more by HI, grants, and out-of-pocket than by the billing for ambulance services.

Except for the most serious cases, someone who needs an ambulance will be up and working in days to weeks.

And finally ambulances don't cost $19k/trip. B/c that's what it would cost Chicagoans if criminals had to pay on this usage model.
Tax payers would still fund the police because their service includes far more than arresting criminals. But the criminals, if convicted, should have to pay restitution to the police department to lower the burden on taxpayers, even if it means setting up a reasonable payment plan

Old 03-02-2021, 04:17 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Sure. I get that. I just hope you understand that billing criminals, who are in no position to pay after they've been arrested, and then waiting to collect on that bill in order to pay the cops who responded would lead to exactly 0 zero police in most of low-crime America, and underfunded police everywhere else.

Put it this way: Chicago's police budget was 1.75B in 2019. The arrested 91k people. For your plan to work... every person arrested would have to pay... $19k PER ARREST. That's not even counting court or jail fees.

You think the drunk driver or the guy going to jail for 5 years for assault has $19k just sitting in a bank account ready to pay out THIS YEAR?

Your ambulance example is an apples to orange comparison. That ambulance is paid for out of a greater operating budget that's funded more by HI, grants, and out-of-pocket than by the billing for ambulance services.

Except for the most serious cases, someone who needs an ambulance will be up and working in days to weeks.

And finally ambulances don't cost $19k/trip. B/c that's what it would cost Chicagoans if criminals had to pay on this usage model.
You are right. Apple and orange.

The ambulance cost should be borne by the person who uses the service. Plain and simple.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanonka View Post
I would extremely prefer to pay sales tax on property ONCE instead of property taxes being sucked from me every year. Actually, in my area sales tax equal to just 3.5 years of property tax.
I 100000% agree with you on that. Our sales taxes are high in my state but I’d much rather pay 3 years worth of property taxes as a sales tax at the closing table than to have to get squeezed every year for the rest of my life.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:23 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,401,207 times
Quote:
Tax payers would still fund the police because their service includes far more than arresting criminals. But the criminals, if convicted, should have to pay restitution to the police department to lower the burden on taxpayers, even if it means setting up a reasonable payment plan
In many places if you go to jail and are sentenced the jail will charge you per day for your stay. So this is already happening. They will garnish your state income tax refunds and whatever else for failure to pay. I heard in some places it can be a condition of probation to pay it.

Once you are a felon I am not sure if there is any reasonable payment plan as your life is really limited these days with records all being searchable by anybody. If you want restitution to the state as well as the victims then you would have to avoid trying to destroy the people you convict. There is no reasonable payment plan for somebody who is for all purposes made economically unviable by society.

As far as confiscation of cars, houses etc. this can be a dangerous thing. If an item is confiscated it should never be allowed to go to the agency that seized it.

I am fiscally conservative but not sure we want economics to play a role on how the judicial system works in this way. I believe people should pay bail when they are arrested. There needs to be some sort of consequence for being arrested even if not convicted. Honest people don’t get arrested 3 or 4 times in a week.

If you are arrested and innocent that is unfortunate.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Long Island, New York
That is insane and completely explains why so many up there are moving to Florida.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:24 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Well... The school system also implies they're competent, but they are not. Don't just blindly believe what anyone tells you. Always verify. Look at a college's post-degree employment track record for those with your specific degree before borrowing tens of thousands of dollars to attend, for starters. Why don't people understand that?

Both. You can do both.

You signed the loan contract. How is it not your responsibility to pay it off, as you legally agreed to do?

You can live within your means and pay off your debt. You'll just have to downgrade your lifestyle. And that's a self-inflicted consequence of the choices you made.

So do you have a time machine? Because I've been looking for one for years.

With what money? I don't have that much even if you included the taxes.

The choices I made are irrelevant. I mean I think I caused the virus to happen too so I guess I'm a murderer now that deserves to be punished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
A mortgage is debt, just like a student loan. I am not seeing why one form of individual debt should get absolved by the government but not another. That is unfair.

Well sure I'd love for houses to be free but I don't expect them to because they're an asset and a degree isn't necessarily.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:26 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post

It shouldn't be my responsibility but whatever sure I'll pay the debt. So how long do you think I can starve myself so I can pay it? I need to lose weight anyway. I tried doing that for 8 hours but it's brutal.

what make you think it should not be your responsibility ????

it is the integrity of the person that is the problem

so a loan (a contract) THEY CHOSE to take out that loan...they made a promise that they would replay it...not expect someone else to pay THEIR BILL

forgiveness of a loan is wrong..those "students" signed a LEGAL CONTRACT... it is their JOB to pay that loan back..... otherwise what are we saying....do you really think we should be saying the law doesn't matter, legal contracts don't matter..... do we really want to raise a generation that is lawless??

if a person wishes to get a loan (which is a contract) then they should be expected to repay said loan...honor your contract

a student loan is a signature or character loan... you are getting a loan based on character or your word, that you are using this money for good (going to school) and you make that promise that you will re-pay that loan...... you gave your word, your bond, your promise.......you signed the contract which was very clear on the interest rate (be it a fixed 0% or even 25%...be it an adjustable (for example 5% + prime))……....you AGREED to the details of that contract.

forgiveness of a loan is wrong..those "students" signed a LEGAL CONTRACT... it is their JOB to pay that loan back..... otherwise what are we saying....do you really think we should be saying the law doesn't matter, legal contracts don't matter..... do we really want to raise a generation that is lawless??

if a person wishes to get a loan (which is a contract) then they should be expected to repay said loan...honor your contract

my word, means something...even with my kids...if I make a promise, I keep it... that is why I am very careful with my promises (for example if my daughter asks for something reasonable, I can say "sure, I will get that for you" (a promise)...but if she was to ask for something unreasonable or out of reach currently..I can then say "I will think about it, and we will see what we can do" (ie not a promise)

sorry but I grew up, and my decades in the military have show me that your word, your morals, your ethics, and YOUR INTEGRITY is truly your bond

apparently you lack integrity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies