Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2021, 06:00 AM

58,996 posts, read 27,280,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
The wealthiest three people in the country control more wealth than the bottom 50% of the population. A higher tax on the ultra wealthy is an extremely reasonable suggestion.
Being you claim to know so much about the wealth issue, how much are YOU worth?

We are FULL of Monday morning quarterbacks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 06:05 AM

88,988 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
They NEVER learn. They tried a "luxury" tax, claiming how much MORE money the fed would bring in.

Instead it COST the fed BILLIONS as the people who normally bought "luxury" items STOPPED BUYING, putting THOUSANDS out of work in the RV, boating and airplane business's. Manufacturers of these items went OUT OF BUSINESS due to LACK of sales.

"When you do the same thing over and over, do NOT expect a DIFFERENT outcome"

People who have never run a successful business, THINK they have all the answers when they don't know enough to ask the RIGHT QUESTIONS!!
Exactly. The "Luxury Tax" was an economic disaster. It not only COST the Fed Gov EXTRA money in unemployment and other benefits, it also destroyed companies, jobs, and all the tangential companies and jobs that the "luxury" industry employees patronized: restaurants, local mom and pop shops, dry cleaners, etc., etc.

Stupid is as stupid does. /smh

Old 03-03-2021, 06:12 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If she cosigned your loan/s and you're not making payments, that'll screw her, as well. So you're not only f-ing up your own credit, you're f-ing up hers, too.

Could be why you can't get hired... If you have a bad credit rating from not paying your student loans (yes, companies check prospects' credit scores to gauge their reliability), most employers will pass on you. You won't be offered a job.

Well her credit was probably already bad (I don't know but that's what she thinks) so she's not really losing anything. On the other hand I paid her car off so I don't know.

I checked it recently. It was 643. I think it only went down a few points because I used the credit card too much (which makes no sense to me. this is why I never wanted a credit card. too many rules).

Yeah I figure. That's what I'm afraid of but sometimes I don't know why it even matters anymore. That's why I say my actions are irrelevant because there's a very real possibility that this limbo that I'm experiencing now is the best I will ever get. I mean I'd like to think different and during this pandemic I've actually done things..things that I never thought I could even begin to do but my old thoughts of being screwed at birth seeps out from the deep recesses of my mind.

The thing that gets me is I always seem to be getting recommended for jobs I have no business being in. Today it was a manufacturing job. What? I don't even have a license so why are you the ones emailing me? The universe is setting me up to fail basically because it's trying to fit a square into a circle.

Last edited by Nickchick; 03-03-2021 at 06:20 AM..

Old 03-03-2021, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Well her credit was probably already bad (I don't know but that's what she thinks) so she's not really losing anything. On the other hand I paid her car off so I don't know.

I checked it recently. It was 643. I think it only went down a few points because I used the credit card too much (which makes no sense to me. this is why I never wanted a credit card. too many rules).

Yeah I figure. That's what I'm afraid of but sometimes I don't know why it even matters anymore. That's why I say my actions are irrelevant because there's a very real possibility that this limbo that I'm experiencing now is the best I will ever get. I mean I'd like to think different and during this pandemic I've actually done things..things that I never thought I could even begin to do but my old thoughts of being screwed at birth seeps out from the deep recesses of my mind.
643 is not good. You need to be at least in the 700s. Regarding "screwed at birth," you could have changed your life trajectory, but you made several bad mistakes at critical points. Now, you are mired in the consequences of your own actions. Happens to a surprisingly large number of people.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:36 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:

I'm starting to detect a theme.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:48 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,208,008 times
Quote:
The thing that gets me is I always seem to be getting recommended for jobs I have no business being in. Today it was a manufacturing job. What? I don't even have a license so why are you the ones emailing me? The universe is setting me up to fail basically because it's trying to fit a square into a circle.

If you're talking about recruiter emails from job sites, they aren't really recommending you. It's a numbers game. They are mass emailing any warm body on the site as a means of networking. The emails usually say something like if this position isn't for you please pass it along to someone else. Some even offer a referral fee. I don't know anyone that ever got a job from that kind of recruiter. They have no inside track on the job listing. I only respond to recruiters that have a direct working relationship with a client. I'm currently working contract for a very large corporation on a team of ten and my recruiter placed three of them a year before placing me. The corp still does it's own interview and makes the call but they know the recruiter understands what they want and doesn't send over anyone that's not highly likely to work out.

Old 03-03-2021, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
643 is not good. You need to be at least in the 700s. Regarding "screwed at birth," you could have changed your life trajectory, but you made several bad mistakes at critical points. Now, you are mired in the consequences of your own actions. Happens to a surprisingly large number of people.

Yeah but when it happens to them, they already have the advantage. They were just careless and didn't appreciate what they had. So I'm alone in that.

Only with a time machine. I can beat myself up about it all my life but I was destined to fail. Now maybe you say that's not good you should take responsibility for your life because it's yours..it doesn't matter what someone else does to you, you can't control what they are doing you can only control your reaction. But what would you do if the only guidance you got was the school told you to go to more school to do what you want to do and just threw a bunch of names at you while not even talking about who we should avoid? Would you think to research? Maybe if you saw evidence that the school is betraying you but if your school was full of mostly nice teachers would you still question it?

Old 03-03-2021, 07:01 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,475,534 times
Quote:

why don't you have a license???

since you mentioned PTSD..and how everything is stacked against you...why not look into disability.... since you certainly are not doing the things to be productive

Old 03-03-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why don't you have a license???

since you mentioned PTSD..and how everything is stacked against you...why not look into disability.... since you certainly are not doing the things to be productive

Because a car is a screaming metal death trap. I have practiced recently so I'm trying to get it again but I end up just fighting with my mother and every time I see a car coming I feel compelled to put my foot on the brake. I'm getting a driver's evaluation tomorrow though don't have much hope about it.

Disability for the loan or SS? Well if you're talking about the latter, I already went to a lawyer a long while back they said that I would have to quit my job for it to make a difference which doesn't work for me now because I'm not quitting until the pandemic ends but even if I did I didn't have enough work credits.

Old 03-03-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Yeah but when it happens to them, they already have the advantage. They were just careless and didn't appreciate what they had. So I'm alone in that.
Nope. You had a privileged opportunity: student loans to earn your degree, and you f-ed that up by failing courses, taking longer to graduate, abusing credit card/s, not paying your student debt, etc. Those are all choices you made that absolutely sunk your privileged opportunity.

Quote:
Only with a time machine. I can beat myself up about it all my life but I was destined to fail. Now maybe you say that's not good you should take responsibility for your life because it's yours..it doesn't matter what someone else does to you, you can't control what they are doing you can only control your reaction. But what would you do if the only guidance you got was the school told you to go to more school to do what you want to do and just threw a bunch of names at you while not even talking about who we should avoid? Would you think to research? Maybe if you saw evidence that the school is betraying you but if your school was full of mostly nice teachers would you still question it?
Actually, yes. Both of my kids and all their friends researched heavily before applying to colleges and then accepting admission to one of the several that offered. Why on earth would anyone not research what will essentially be a tens of thousands of dollars, or more, investment in one's future?

Another word on internships, which you claim you are now seeking. That's done while you're still in college. Both of my kids had summer internships that paid $25/hour and some companies even continued the internship part time during the school year. My kids used that money and scholarships to avoid student loan debt. They have none. The point of interning while you're still a student is to gain work experience in your field before graduation so you already have more to offer employers than just a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies