Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2021, 11:54 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,700,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
progressive income tax is discriminatory

I thought that the liberals were the party of anti-discrimination

why should we discriminate just based on someone level of reported income

why not tax everyone at the same level??

why not tax spending, since a large portion on income is NEVER reported??
Because fairness is not the goal of the left. It's envy and greed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 03:34 AM

27,193 posts, read 13,482,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Warren again one step ahead of you...

A 40% "exit tax" on the net worth above $50 million of any U.S. citizen who renounces their citizenship in order to escape paying their fair share in taxes
Wouldn't that just mean entrepreneurs renouncing their citizenship and moving abroad to start up their tech companies before they even became rich.

Also the wealthy would be put off investing in the US or even living there, and no wealthy foreign individual would want to seek US citizenship in such circumstances.

The tax would also have a disproportionate effect on areas of the US where living is most costly and where you have to be wealthy in order to afford property such as parts of the Bay Area and NYC.

These proposals would also see a boom in global tax havens and secret bank accounts, something the US has been trying to stop.

It also should be noted that a lot of US tech companies and digital service providers pay very little tax, and the same is true of big multi-national companies, who can simply move their Headquarters or move money internationally, and who owe no allegiance to the US. Indeed many have foreign shareholders and can be floated on foreign stock exchanges if they so wish, or can break up in to foreign owned subsidiaries.

The US has also been very clear that it doesn't want other countries imposing digital service taxes.

Last edited by Brave New World; 03-03-2021 at 03:42 AM..

Old 03-03-2021, 05:25 AM

4,299 posts, read 2,812,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yes, you can.

You signed one or more loan contracts, so yes, you are responsible for accruing tens of thousands of dollars worth of student loan debt..

I honestly can't. I would only be able to do that with a mortgage. I could maybe do that with my own car but that's it.

Okay cool, I guess that makes me a CEO since I'm responsible for everybody else's actions. Where's my million dollars?

Old 03-03-2021, 05:38 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I honestly can't. I would only be able to do that with a mortgage. I could maybe do that with my own car but that's it.
Yes, you can. You signed the loan contract/s. You're legally obligated to make loan payments to pay back your debt.

Quote:
Okay cool, I guess that makes me a CEO since I'm responsible for everybody else's actions. Where's my million dollars?
You're responsible for your own actions: taking out tens of thousands of dollars in student loan debt to earn your degree. No getting around that.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Yes, you can. You signed the loan contract/s. You're legally obligated to make loan payments to pay back your debt.

You're responsible for your own actions: taking out tens of thousands of dollars in student loan debt to earn your degree. No getting around that.
That doesn't work for me. It's like taking a shower and getting out before I washed my whole self.

So only I am? In the same sense that someone who was roofied consented to having sex..actually they probably have more responsibility than I did (although I probably cannot say I've never been drunk and likely never will be)

Old 03-03-2021, 05:48 AM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Warren again one step ahead of you...

A 40% "exit tax" on the net worth above $50 million of any U.S. citizen who renounces their citizenship in order to escape paying their fair share in taxes
Jeff Bezos again one step ahead of you....

Outsourcing is the business practice of hiring a party outside a company to perform services and create goods that traditionally were performed in-house by the company's own employees and staff. Outsourcing is a practice usually undertaken by companies as a cost-cutting measure. As such, it can affect a wide range of jobs, ranging from customer support to manufacturing to the back office.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:52 AM

Quote:
That doesn't work for me. It's like taking a shower and getting out before I washed my whole self.
You should have thought about that before you signed the loan contract/s.

Quote:
So only I am? In the same sense that someone who was roofied consented to having sex..actually they probably have more responsibility than I did (although I probably cannot say I've never been drunk and likely never will be)
Yes, only you are responsible, unless you had a cosigner on your loan/s. Did you have a cosigner?

Old 03-03-2021, 05:54 AM

Quote:
You should have thought about that before you signed the loan contract/s.

Yes, only you are responsible, unless you had a cosigner on your loan/s. Did you have a cosigner?

My mom probably was. I don't remember now. It's been so long and the PTSD is probably affecting my short term memory but she has done a lot of things for me.

Old 03-03-2021, 05:54 AM

59,109 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
They NEVER learn. They tried a "luxury" tax, claiming how much MORE money the fed would bring in.

Instead it COST the fed BILLIONS as the people who normally bought "luxury" items STOPPED BUYING, putting THOUSANDS out of work in the RV, boating and airplane business's. Manufacturers of these items went OUT OF BUSINESS due to LACK of sales.

"When you do the same thing over and over, do NOT expect a DIFFERENT outcome"

People who have never run a successful business, THINK they have all the answers when they don't know enough to ask the RIGHT QUESTIONS!!

Old 03-03-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
My mom probably was. I don't remember now. It's been so long but she has done a lot of things for me.
If she cosigned your loan/s and you're not making payments, that'll screw her, as well. So you're not only f-ing up your own credit, you're f-ing up hers, too.

Could be why you can't get hired... If you have a bad credit rating from not paying your student loans (yes, companies check prospects' credit scores to gauge their reliability), most employers will pass on you. You won't be offered a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies