Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2021, 03:45 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Because the school system implied that having a degree is the way to get a good job.
Well... The school system also implies they're competent, but they are not. Don't just blindly believe what anyone tells you. Always verify. Look at a college's post-degree employment track record for those with your specific degree before borrowing tens of thousands of dollars to attend, for starters. Why don't people understand that?

Quote:
Well which do you want me to do? Live within my means or pay the debt?
Both. You can do both.

Quote:
It shouldn't be my responsibility but whatever sure I'll pay the debt.
You signed the loan contract. How is it not your responsibility to pay it off, as you legally agreed to do?

Quote:
So how long do you think I can starve myself so I can pay it? I need to lose weight anyway. I tried doing that for 8 hours but it's brutal.
You can live within your means and pay off your debt. You'll just have to downgrade your lifestyle. And that's a self-inflicted consequence of the choices you made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 03:46 PM

5,044 posts, read 2,400,470 times
This thread stands as a testament to the misguided reasoning of the innumerate masses that will never get ahead in life. Some of these posts.. by God a 10 year old with a lemonade stand has better understanding of how economics work.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:52 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Because the school system implied that having a degree is the way to get a good job.

It certainly is if you research careers and select a knowledge path that others are actually willing to pay money for as opposed to what interests you at the time.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:55 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
I was a republican for decades. Republicans used to care about more than the ultra-wealthy.
Wait, I thought all the unwashed, uneducated rednecks were the Republicans. Which is it?

Most all big corporations, banks, Wall Street, Media etc today are run by Far Leftists that are hypocrites and liars like you and the other leftists.

Old 03-02-2021, 03:56 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,693,010 times
Quote:
A mortgage is tangible so no it's not the same thing.
A mortgage is debt, just like a student loan. I am not seeing why one form of individual debt should get absolved by the government but not another. That is unfair.

Last edited by Vlajos; 03-02-2021 at 04:06 PM..

Old 03-02-2021, 04:01 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
This thread stands as a testament to the misguided reasoning of the innumerate masses that will never get ahead in life. Some of these posts.. by God a 10 year old with a lemonade stand has better understanding of how economics work.
Only if nobody is buying that lemonade, no matter how good it is (akin to nobody giving you a job for your degree no matter how good you are at at). Otherwise that 10 year old will get delusional that hard work can get you somewhere.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:02 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
You 100% paid sales tax on your property when you bought it. Look at your closing document. Whether it's called RE transfer taxes or County/State title taxes it's effectively, in everything but name, a SALES TAX that's due when you bought the property. Trying to wiggle out of acknowledging that b/c it's not explicitly called a sales tax is weak.

Are you still disputing that you paid a sales tax on the property purchase?
I paid a portion of the PROPERTY TAXES. There were no sales taxes paid when I purchased any of my properties, ZILCH, NADA. Yes, I also paid other closing costs but none of them were sales tax. Just the survey, inspection, recording fees, title policy and HOA dues, no sales taxes whatsoever.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:05 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingaround12345 View Post
I’d rep you a thousand times for this post if I could. The economic illiteracy in this thread is astounding.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:07 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It certainly is if you research careers and select a knowledge path that others are actually willing to pay money for as opposed to what interests you at the time.
Doesn't work. This is a delusion, although the one that being actively pushed onto sheeple.
Example: medical degree is a lucrative career, and has been for a long time, would you agree? So, quite a few very bright people got into med school to get it. Alas, as of this year, there is an oversupply of the EM doctors in this country - by about 2000 of them. So, right now there are 2000 fresh out of med school Emergency Medicine doctors with ~$300K debt each, 10 years of their lives wasted and no jobs - and zero perspectives to get a job. Did they make a mistake in their carrier? Were they irresponsible?

Old 03-02-2021, 04:09 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
no one is suggesting we "defund the police" but if you commit a crime, YOU should have to pay for the amount of time law enforcement has to deal with you, any investigations, equipment or whatever. If you don't have the money during the time of service, we can set up a payment plan just like we do with our medical bills that we can't pay for at the time of service.
Sure. I get that. I just hope you understand that billing criminals, who are in no position to pay after they've been arrested, and then waiting to collect on that bill in order to pay the cops who responded would lead to exactly 0 zero police in most of low-crime America, and underfunded police everywhere else.

Put it this way: Chicago's police budget was 1.75B in 2019. The arrested 91k people. For your plan to work... every person arrested would have to pay... $19k PER ARREST. That's not even counting court or jail fees.

You think the drunk driver or the guy going to jail for 5 years for assault has $19k just sitting in a bank account ready to pay out THIS YEAR?

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, it's advocating paying the cost via user fees. User pays. Remember my ambulance example? The public ambulance service wasn't defunded. It was funded via user fees. User pays. Same with toll roads and municipal water and sewer, my other examples. They're not defunded. They're funded via user fees. User pays.

It actually makes perfect sense. Criminals don't pay tax on their illegal income. This way, they'll finally pay tax on that via the user fees they'll incur by violating the law.

This already happens to a certain extent... civil forfeiture.
Your ambulance example is an apples to orange comparison. That ambulance is paid for out of a greater operating budget that's funded more by HI, grants, and out-of-pocket than by the billing for ambulance services.

Except for the most serious cases, someone who needs an ambulance will be up and working in days to weeks.

And finally ambulances don't cost $19k/trip. B/c that's what it would cost Chicagoans if criminals had to pay on this usage model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies