Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2021, 08:24 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
I am a student of history. I have also been paying close attention since the concept of Political Correctness was imposed upon us in the early 1990s and seen the dramatic changes made in allowable speech, behavior, and attempts at thought control since then.

Go back to sleep. I will wake you up when your freedom is all gone.
Sounds like someone got told off for using the N-word at Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 08:26 PM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Temporarily. This is phase 1.
Sure. The thing is, the rest of us aren't obliged to debate based on a version of reality that exists in your head only.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:32 PM

1,175 posts, read 551,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TubaWuba View Post
Your just mad because bigotry isn’t cool anymore.
Troll alert. March 2021 eh? Why are you here? Looks like to rock the boat to your side of thought. Wrong forum yo.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:08 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,937,421 times
I'm surprised they haven't tried to cancel Peter Pan over the scenes with the Indians.

As for Gone With the Wind, I mean not all slaves were beaten and some indeed were "happy" and "content" so the movie isn't totally realistic. Not every slavery experience was like 12 Years a Slave. Obviously I'm not saying slavery was right, but not all slaves were mistreated on that level.

Also I don't get the big deal about Song of the South which isn't even about slavery.

Old 03-06-2021, 11:02 PM

3,625 posts, read 3,414,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
For the umpteenth time - TCM is pulling these movies out for a special screening, front and center.

There's just a conversation in front, about the changing of views and mores. A conversation that ironically, the conservatives on this board want - to use their phrase - canceled.
And TCM has long had prior discussions about the movies that it is showing. Sometimes, with the film's director, sometimes with the producer, or with an actor in the film. Sometimes, the discussions take place after the film has been shown. And sometimes, the discussions have dealt with difficult topics or portrayals in the films. But the TCM hosts discussing films, with the filmmakers or the TV audience, is nothing new.

These films are not being banned, or cancelled, nor are they likely to be. They will remain available for purchase on DVD and Blue-Ray from Amazon and other online sources, from retail stores, from secondhand stores, and in public and private libraries. No government agent is going to show up on my doorstep demanding that I turn over my DVD copies of Breakfast at Tiffany's, Psycho, and My Fair Lady. All that is happening is that one privately-run network has decided to discuss old films in the context of today's mores, prior to showing the films unedited and uncut.

It may be hard to believe, but sometimes, there's no slope at all; much less a slippery one.

Old 03-07-2021, 12:18 AM

11,502 posts, read 6,021,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
For the umpteenth time - TCM is pulling these movies out for a special screening, front and center.

There's just a conversation in front, about the changing of views and mores. A conversation that ironically, the conservatives on this board want - to use their phrase - canceled.
Sorry, but I am old and remember when they said your Social Security number would never be used for ID.

Everything that starts small gets abused over time. Today's warning is tomorrows prohibition. Been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt. I know how this ends.

Old 03-07-2021, 01:12 AM

34,236 posts, read 18,594,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetWater View Post
I guess, but it's not gonna start with companies acknowledging racism of the past.

If you're gonna make a reference to authoritarian regimes like how I've seen other posters reference Nazi Germany, then you probably know that they were the ones putting out images of Jewish people with big noses in order to justify prejudices against them.

The Nazis were the ones who were cancelled.
No. The Neo Nazis, now called Progressives or Democrats are now in control. It's obvious but many are ignorant or purposely clueless.

Old 03-07-2021, 01:52 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,427,027 times
I would like to know we’re we’re all the protest on Black Lives Matter and canceling culture during the Obama administration. I want Black Friday and white sales canceled also. I’m so dam sick and tires of all these whiny snowflake people with their fragile feelings. People need toughen up.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:35 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
apparently the woke generation can't distinguish between reality and a movie......so sad, so many dunces.....
And apparently many are too lazy to do the research necessary to determine whether a thread title is accurate or not.

Spoilers: it’s not.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:36 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
And TCM has long had prior discussions about the movies that it is showing. Sometimes, with the film's director, sometimes with the producer, or with an actor in the film. Sometimes, the discussions take place after the film has been shown. And sometimes, the discussions have dealt with difficult topics or portrayals in the films. But the TCM hosts discussing films, with the filmmakers or the TV audience, is nothing new.

These films are not being banned, or cancelled, nor are they likely to be. They will remain available for purchase on DVD and Blue-Ray from Amazon and other online sources, from retail stores, from secondhand stores, and in public and private libraries. No government agent is going to show up on my doorstep demanding that I turn over my DVD copies of Breakfast at Tiffany's, Psycho, and My Fair Lady. All that is happening is that one privately-run network has decided to discuss old films in the context of today's mores, prior to showing the films unedited and uncut.

It may be hard to believe, but sometimes, there's no slope at all; much less a slippery one.
Such a reasonable and reality-based response.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies