Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 01:06 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyinthesky444 View Post
So did Dr. Seuss. But he's history...
Except he's not. If you bothered to get past the click-bait headlines you would have learned that the Seuss estate has decided to stop publishing 6 of his works. Six. That's less than 10% of his total work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 01:25 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Or, you know, you could just not watch it. But of course that won’t do. It must be that no one can watch it because someone doesn’t like it.
The movies are being shown. Shown, the movies are. These are movies and they are being shown. We are discussing the showing of these movies.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:28 PM

15 posts, read 6,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
They're having a brief conversation because they don't want to be the Left's next cancel victim. "How dare they show movie with ugly racist caricatures without a first having a brief conversation on ugly racist caricatures?"

We're not third graders, we know that that film came out 16 years after the horrors of the Pacific War and that it represents lingering racism.
But there are 3rd graders that do exist.

And really, it’s the studios that cancel them. They can choose to stop showing it or put a disclaimer. Studios/companies do whatever they can to maintain a good image with the public. Because otherwise they lose sales.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:30 PM

2,801 posts, read 3,860,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
Why do you think the "Ministry of Truth" needs to put a note about context on entertainment?

BTW - I don't see all the hype around BAT. I didn't think it was very good.
There is no “Ministry of Truth” as you called it. There are only companies making these decisions. Ask the companies who make the decisions why they feel it’s necessary.

As I mentioned, I went and read articles, editorials, and think-pieces from the “left” about classic films that have problematic depictions of people of color or cultural stereotypes that are now considered in poor taste, at the very least. None of these articles advocated removing them from the public domain, or cancelling them in any way, shape, or form. They simply brought up the issue, discussed how these problematic depictions could be addressed now that social and cultural mores have changed, and made some suggestions. None of the suggestions I saw included removing, banning, or censoring these films or other forms of art and media.

So the “Ministry of Truth,” if they do exist, are simply progressive writers and thinkers who are asking for conversations about artistic depictions of non-white characters that are out-of-date. If anyone is calling for these films and media texts to be banned, it is small group of extremists that certainly do not represent this amorphous “left” that seems to be a stand-in for everything that people on the right think is bad.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:34 PM

17,806 posts, read 13,703,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Except he's not. If you bothered to get past the click-bait headlines you would have learned that the Seuss estate has decided to stop publishing 6 of his works. Six. That's less than 10% of his total work.
That's one of the oddest things about this thing. The right wingers are jumping all over TURNER Classic Movies...

But seem to be strangely silent about the Seuss' family/organization taking this action. Instead, they blame "the libs".

Why do the Seusses get a pass? I mean the old man was a commie lib....just like Ted Turner.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
Dane, these disclaimers don't necessarily 'destroy the entertainment'.. but I do think they may prejudice the audience against movies they're preparing to watch. Which is probably the true purpose of these disclaimers.
I disagree with that assessment. There are questionable facets to the movies, and the discussion places them in a context that may shed light on the fact that what was acceptable and common in the 1930s, 50s and 60s isn't today. And I do hope that we agree that racist stereotypes aren't a cool element of humor we need back.

Quote:
Contemporary cancel culture wants these films to be eradicated.. so this is a more subtle (entry level) way to discredit them.
If eradication was the goal, they'd not be shown. Or, worse, someone would edit them to remove the unpleasant bit. That would be a frontal assault on the work's integrity.

Quote:
If this is truly (& objectively) about shielding audiences from offensive depictions...
It isn't. The movies are being shown, warts and all. It's about the opposite, in fact.

Anyone here know Triumph des Willens, the 1935 Leni Reifenstahl Nazi propaganda film? It's an astounding piece of cinema - true craftsmanship and art, although of course it carries an evil message. It's an admittedly extreme example of how we sometimes need to put art into perspective.

Quote:
...why aren't they disclaimer-ing movies that have demeaning stereotypes about Christians or political Conservatives (?) Peace
Debate should be welcomed. But I'm not sure which movies you're thinking of, here.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
So the “Ministry of Truth,” if they do exist, are simply progressive writers and thinkers who are asking for conversations about artistic depictions of non-white characters that are out-of-date. If anyone is calling for these films and media texts to be banned, it is small group of extremists that certainly do not represent this amorphous “left” that seems to be a stand-in for everything that people on the right think is bad.
I'd take that one step further: Having the conversation is what can save the movies from consignment to history's dustbin. Better for people to see the racist stereotype, roll their eyes and say "That's what they meant - yeah, that sure didn't age well" than to have them see the racist dipstickery and turn off the movie entirely.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:47 PM

16,416 posts, read 8,223,904 times
The 'Asian' guy in breakfast at Tiffany's is pretty ridiculous...but the question is why do people let themselves get so offended about something so ridiculous.

How about the movie goonies? There is an Asian kid in that who speaks with a thick sounding Asian accent. Someone must be offended at that. Or now about long duck song, the Asian exchange student in 16 candles. I watch Annie the other night with my kids and Punjab and that Asian butler guy are also what people would call offensive. No Asian people find it funny ?

I am of Irish descent from Boston and I wasn't offended by goodwill hunting. There was lots of stereotyping of Irish, Irish Americans but who cares ?

How about karate kid? Mr. miyagi.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:51 PM

15 posts, read 6,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
The 'Asian' guy in breakfast at Tiffany's is pretty ridiculous...but the question is why do people let themselves get so offended about something so ridiculous.

How about the movie goonies? There is an Asian kid in that who speaks with a thick sounding Asian accent. Someone must be offended at that. Or now about long duck song, the Asian exchange student in 16 candles. I watch Annie the other night with my kids and Punjab and that Asian butler guy are also what people would call offensive. No Asian people find it funny ?

I am of Irish descent from Boston and I wasn't offended by goodwill hunting. There was lots of stereotyping of Irish, Irish Americans but who cares ?

How about karate kid? Mr. miyagi.
I mean everyone likes Mr. Miyagi, and I thought the asian kid was pretty cool.
If they had the asian kid with exaggerated buck teeth and throw fortune cookies at bad guys then that would be different.

Old 03-06-2021, 01:52 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,954,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatecake1977 View Post
I'm not sure, maybe you forgot, but Mickey Rooney was ACTING in that movie. SO WHAT, if he played the part of another race. IT'S A MOVIE. HE WAS JUST ACTING.
Because if they wanted the Yunioshi character in the film they could have gotten an ASIAN actor to play it, rather than a white comedian trying to turn an ethnic stereotype into a damn joke. Sessue Hayakawa was still active, he would have been a much better choice. Yunioshi wasn't a caricature in the original novella (which was NOT the fluffy romcom the film turned the story into) , and shouldn't have been played that way in the film.

I watched the film quite recently and it is galling how that blemished piece of acting stands out from the rest of the film. I had to remind myself it was made 60 years ago, when people were far more stupid and ignorant about such things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies