Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 10:19 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
We're talking about movies here, do try to keep up. And I have no idea why people can't keep Mickey Rooney vs. Mickey Rooney's role separate. No one is canceling anything, they're in fact showing the movie.

And yes, the lock-up of the Japanese-Americans was a freakin' shameful episode, only defended by right-wing commentators these days. Michelle Malkin, anyone?

They're two instances of the same underlying issue. And while there's been a decent conversation about the internment, the cutesy racism-as-humor hasn't been addressed until now. The question is: Why are you and yours so enraged by the latter?
The only thing I'm enraged by is your ilk constantly attacking free speech. The difference between you and me is that if you say something that is offensive to me, I may well argue with you or point that out--but I won't insist that you not be allowed to speak. You folks on the other hand hear or see something you don't agree with and the first thing you do is try to silence it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 10:38 AM

1,132 posts, read 1,247,306 times
People are wise to be concerned about this trend. Few movies would pass purity tests currently being applied. It's not just the racial stereotypes that will be targeted, but anything and everything representing the old order,"white privilege" and "toxic masculinity".
The only acceptable entertainment will be the far left propaganda Hollywood is currently producing. That's a scary thought.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:49 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
So what? I have no issue with providing warnings about content that people may be sensitive about. It's no different than warnings about language, violence, nudity, graphic sex, and so forth. All of these were implemented to avoid government censorship of film because of concerns about the impact on morals and ethics. Christian fundamentalists have been doing this to us for decades. Now the right is finding out how it feels to the rest of us.
This, exactly.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:50 AM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
The only thing I'm enraged by is your ilk constantly attacking free speech. The difference between you and me is that if you say something that is offensive to me, I may well argue with you or point that out--but I won't insist that you not be allowed to speak. You folks on the other hand hear or see something you don't agree with and the first thing you do is try to silence it.
TCM is literally showing the movies in their entirety, with discussion beforehand. What you're railing against is not what's happening in real life.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
You do know Robert Downey Jr played a black man in Tropic Thunder right, which was in 2008. How? Because it's called ACTING aka playing a character.

Yikes, I guess liberals will have to cancel him too.
Someone totally missed the point of that character in that movie.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:53 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
TCM is literally showing the movies in their entirety, with discussion beforehand. What you're railing against is not what's happening in real life.
But has happened elsewhere and if you had ANY vision at all would realize this is a trial balloon for banning them. They are getting people accustomed to the notion so it is more easily accepted and not a surprise. Typical Fascist tactic.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:54 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetWater View Post
Yeesh, I can see how bad this is.

I think studios should adopt WB's idea and just put a disclaimer
There are a number of old cartoons that they will not show at all, not even with a disclaimer unless part of a late night educational angle and maybe not even then.

ie) Bugs Bunny Nips the Nips a WW2 cartoon with obvious racist charicatures.

As a big looney toons fan and older, I can spot where they've censored out stuff which would be stuff like blasting someone in the face with a cannon and they turn around in "black face" etc. They just snip that out but some of the cartoons there is just too much to cut and have anything left due to a key character.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyinthesky444 View Post
So did Dr. Seuss. But he's history. Why isn't Mel Brooks? They both did exactly the same thing.

The answer is, of course, that the liberals are cancelling "racism" or "White Supremacy" or any other of their talking points... just anybody they feel like, as long as they feel it'll get them more votes.
No, they did not do exactly the same thing.
That people cannot tell the difference is very telling.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:57 AM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyinthesky444 View Post
So did Dr. Seuss.
The six books that aren't being reprinted were, in fact, examples of cutesy/folksy racism.

Quote:
Why isn't Mel Brooks? They both did exactly the same thing.
Nope.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Apparently just talking about this stuff is very threatening to some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies