Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 08:41 AM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Turner Classic Movies will hold a full roundtable discussion at the start of several of old Hollywood's most celebrated films to warn viewers about 'sexist and racist content' - prompting major mixed reaction from fans, with some slamming 'sick' cancel culture.
Quote:
Among the 18 flicks under the microscope include Breakfast at Tiffany's, Psycho, Gone With the Wind, My Fair Lady, Stagecoach, The Jazz Singer, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers and more.

They will also warn viewers who have never seen these films before about potentially upsetting moments including depictions of racism, sexism, and LGBTQ issues.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ew-series.html

Do progressives have nothing else better to do during a pandemic? When does this madness end? Wait until they review Blazing Saddles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2021, 08:44 AM

1,175 posts, read 551,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ew-series.html

Do progressives have nothing else better to do during a pandemic? When does this madness end? Wait until they review Blazing Saddles.
Nope they’ll are cut from the same cloth as satan himself.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:58 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Wait until they review Blazing Saddles.
Not sure you quite understand what's happening here.

Breakfast at Tiffany's played Mickey Rooney in yellowface as a cheap racist laugh. The works, full-out and unironic - prostetic buckteeth, round glasses, silly accent. Har-de-harhar, look at that funny guy not fitting in with civilized people.

Blazing Saddles, on the other hand, spends a lot of running time on skewering just that sort of folksy racism and those who hold on to it.

If you can't handle the idea of someone pointing out that perhaps we shouldn't have made a joke out of this:

- then the creators of Blazing Saddles aren't in your corner.

Mickey Rooney's role is a blemish in an otherwise great film. So we put it in perspective, rather than forget or edit the film. Americans can't handle adult conversations like that?

Old 03-06-2021, 09:07 AM

15,850 posts, read 6,551,421 times
So what? I have no issue with providing warnings about content that people may be sensitive about. It's no different than warnings about language, violence, nudity, graphic sex, and so forth. All of these were implemented to avoid government censorship of film because of concerns about the impact on morals and ethics. Christian fundamentalists have been doing this to us for decades. Now the right is finding out how it feels to the rest of us.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:09 AM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,736 times
Psycho? Why, because it shows a serial killer who dressed up as his mother? Does that offend serial killers, I guess?

Old 03-06-2021, 09:11 AM

6,128 posts, read 3,355,504 times
I’ve never seen any of these movies, nor will I ever in the future. But why should anybody care what other people watch? If you don’t like something, turn it off.

Now let’s get back to actual problems. Not fake ones like these.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolatecake1977 View Post
I'm not sure, maybe you forgot, but Mickey Rooney was ACTING in that movie. SO WHAT, if he played the part of another race. IT'S A MOVIE. HE WAS JUST ACTING.
I probably should have typed that Mickey Rooney's role was a blemish. Oh wait, that's what I did.

Yes, Rooney is an actor. They are not real people living their lives in the picture box, they pretend. We know this. It's called "film making". And the thing about that is, what is allowed into the final product is a conscious decision on part of the film maker. What, you thought I was blaming Rooney or something? Dude's an actor.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I’ve never seen any of these movies, nor will I ever in the future.
You're missing out, there are some great ones in there.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetWater View Post
Yeesh, I can see how bad this is.

I think studios should adopt WB's idea and just put a disclaimer.

Essentially the same - they're being shown with a brief conversation first. But to some, this appears to destroy the enjoyment.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:19 AM

25,770 posts, read 18,834,175 times
So we're going ahead with this "three wise monkey" BS... I can't wait to see the backlash for all this crap. It will come and when it does, the wokes will not be happy at all.

For those of you old enough, remember the warning on LPs? All that did was prompt certain musicians to be as vile, profane, and disgusting as possible... and then try that much harder to sell their material. It worked; the "cancel culture" of the time backed off almost completely. They found that the warning label made kids of the time (like me) buy that "offensive" material all the more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies