Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 03:02 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,465,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
And that's exactly the way Democrats want it. Poor people having kids they can't afford, who will grow up to vote Democrat and rely on government assistance.

Democrats need victims to stay in power, and there's no better victim than children born to poor parents.
I find when people "know" better they do better,

So Do better. in considering your broad stroke opinion.

You may be surprised ( as was I ) then when I mentored teens whos's households went from a two income to one - they had to work towards modifying the life style. Most continue to do "without" to spread out the necessities.

Just as you cant put the toothpaste back in the tub, we can't toss our kids back in our bellys' Because someones' decided What, IF ANY, is enough offsprings.

Single/ or childless couples do just fine. For years they can save as opposed to the families who are forever having to BUY things for the care . Even though it may surprise some folks, Human "kind" does better when we show them some good deed with no strings attached- Reciprocity though works too....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2021, 04:38 AM

4,193 posts, read 2,516,403 times
Of course single people get the shaft. Its an unspoken truth that all of these GOP folks who have kids get government support for their kids in their taxes. They love this democratic handout which started with the child tax credit, created in 1997.

Whatever happened to being able to support your own family without govt. assistance.

Single people who rent might be about the only group which doesn't get a government benefit. Seniors do, businesses do, non-profits do, parents do, homeowners do and on and on.

Old 03-11-2021, 05:54 AM

20,128 posts, read 9,036,439 times
It's all pocket change kids. I know a guy who owns a car dealership, he has to wait 20 days after the money is available to apply but he's getting $600,000 from the PPP money. 60% of PPP funds must be spent on payroll costs to maintain full loan forgiveness.

Question: Is there a limit on the dollar amount of First Draw PPP Loans a corporate group can receive? Answer: Yes, businesses that are part of the same corporate group cannot receive First Draw PPP Loans in a total amount of more than $20 million.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:16 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,479,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLR210 View Post
The cut off is 80k for SINGLE people with no kids. The cut off for head of household is 120K and married filing joint is 160k. I see no problem with this except I think the cut off should be lower. If you were single last year and still made 80k, you don't need the money. Same with the HOH and MFJ. The cut off is just too high and it's wasting money on people who don't need it.

We are MFJ with no kids who made more than 160k last year but they still gave us the stimulus money we didn't get last year in our return this year because the cut off was higher last year. We won't qualify for this next stimulus check either because of our income last year per our filed tax return. But, we will both be retired this year which will drop our AGI below 160k for next years tax filing and as a result, they'll send us this stimulus money to us in next years return. It's crazy how that works but that is what is happening.

Additionally, a lot of folks who are retired and living comfortably should also not have gotten the stimulus in my opinion. I have a VERY wealthy aunt and uncle (worth millions) who live comfortably, not lavishly, that were disgusted when the stimulus was deposited into their bank account. They even called the IRS trying to give it back but IRS refused to take it back.

Again, we don't need any of this money. All of this money that is being sent out to people that don't need it could have been sent to people who have lost their jobs or got their hours cut. That is what I consider "targeted relief" and being responsible with taxpayer money. At this rate, we will never dig our way out of this debt we've put ourselves into.
My wife is a stay at home mother. Does this mean my income will fall under the $160,000 limit or the $120,000 limit? We do have children.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:25 AM

36,546 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I had 4 biological, and have raised 6 others that werent mine.

People who have kids are being vastly more impacted then those without. Yes everyone got some story about their friends with kids. As they say "Cool story bro". But the reality is...those with kids have a rough enough time. Seriously, yall make it sound like having kids and being poor is just so awesome.

Its not.
No, having kids and not being poor. I dont think $160,000.00 annual income is poor.

And why cut off at 17. You dont think it is expensive to raise a kid in high school? They eat more, have more activities, drive, car insurance, etc. Especially if they are a senior; prom, graduation, senior pictures. Have you priced that lately.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:30 AM

11,223 posts, read 8,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
That's not a given. A lot of people make too much money and will get zilch.
Why would someone who makes "too much" need relief?

I personally think the amount should be even lower. I am getting $2800 (me and wife), but really don't think we should, as we don't need it. I'll spend it on local charities, and on home improvements, which support local business.

I think relief is needed for those who are on the bubble, but not couples making $150k.

All in all, it was a decent bill. Not perfect, but better than most. If you see the CBO analysis, much (not all) is going to help stimulate the economy. I think this will be more effective than giving multi-billionaires a tax break and expecting them to trickle it down. We know that doesn't work, doesn't happen.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:31 AM

4,661 posts, read 1,955,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No, having kids and not being poor. I dont think $160,000.00 annual income is poor.

And why cut off at 17. You dont think it is expensive to raise a kid in high school? They eat more, have more activities, drive, car insurance, etc. Especially if they are a senior; prom, graduation, senior pictures. Have you priced that lately.
no fast food jobs available in your area?by 17 myself and everyone i knew were working at MCdonalds and had been for more then a year. We paid for our own stuff...

Old 03-11-2021, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
90% of American children will be lifted out of poverty temporarily with this bill. Money is going to American workers after decades of policies that made the rich so much richer at the expense of the middle class. That is real economic populism from a president who actually cares - not a wind bag billionaire who talked the talk but made the income gap even worse.
That is not going to lift anyone out of poverty. It might help the lower income or those who lost jobs to catch up on some bills. For those who have continued to work they can buy some new stuff. Most people are in poverty because they dont/havent handled their finances well.
I know is anecdotal but two people I know on unemployment, government check, section 8, food stamps, etc. one peed away
The bulk of the money is going to pork, as usual, corporations, metros. And who will be paying back that money in taxes for the next 100 years.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:47 AM

3,560 posts, read 1,657,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Child under 17.
Guy I work with, 3 kids, is going to buy a new truck.

I want to know where your buddy found a new truck for $11,600? Time travel involved?

Old 03-11-2021, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJfromVA View Post
If I'm not mistaken, every year that you file taxes, If you file single, your standard deduction is X amount. If you file married, you get XX amount. If you have children, You get those amounts PLUS X amount for each dependent. So why is there a problem now?
Because those are deductions from ones income for the most part. Tax payers will be paying back all that 1.9 trillion dollars. Lots of people do have a problem with those who don't pay in any taxes or very little taxes getting a big tax refund (more than they contributed) due to child credits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies