Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2023, 01:04 PM

13,741 posts, read 7,999,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Clearly is what this is all about. We live in a consumer economy, young men are not buying sports illustrated to look at girls in swinsuits, before the internet that edition was a big deal, beauty pageants were a big deal, we now have generations of young men desensitized to half naked beautiful women so its not a big driver in terms of profit, it makes sense that since if you don't like yourself your not likely to buy new clothes, consume beauty products, if you normalize the thing that most of consumers already are then they can continue to buy stuff. All these things are markets interacting with other, maximizing profit.

If that were true advertisers would have turned to curvy models a long time ago. The same with using women ordinary in appearances to sell makeup.

I am seeing curvy models used in advertising and realize there’s been a push to market a more authentic look. However, I'm not sure that’s what women want.

And perhaps way the aerobic studio didn't want to use an overweight trainer. If the trainer is overweight... what's the point of exercise. Why am I paying money for her help? I want to look and feel better about myself.

Last edited by john3232; 02-11-2023 at 02:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 02:11 PM

2,513 posts, read 1,298,831 times
Quote:
Clearly is what this is all about. We live in a consumer economy, young men are not buying sports illustrated to look at girls in swinsuits, before the internet that edition was a big deal, beauty pageants were a big deal, we now have generations of young men desensitized to half naked beautiful women
Why would young men look at fat half-naked women when they can easily find slim fully-naked beautiful girls of all origins on the Internet ?

Old 02-11-2023, 02:29 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,002,747 times
Still talking about this lady? Get a life, y'all. Do I need to post the Venus figurines again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
So which is it? Lose weight to be healthy(fat shaming), or be an obese slob shuffling around Walmart out of breathe with everything hanging out because you are beautiful no matter what and should flaunt your supersized sexiness?
I can't tell if you're being obtuse on purpose or not. It's pretty obvious that decoupling self-worth with physical appearance can help with weight loss. If shame was the path to skinniness, fat people would not be fat. Alcoholism shares the same issue.

Old 02-11-2023, 02:35 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Still talking about this lady? Get a life, y'all. Do I need to post the Venus figurines again?

I can't tell if you're being obtuse on purpose or not. It's pretty obvious that decoupling self-worth with physical appearance can help with weight loss. If shame was the path to skinniness, fat people would not be fat. Alcoholism shares the same issue.
She’s such an inspiration and role model for folks

With 42% of the country being obese, it’s easier to promote it as normalcy versus doing what one can to help themselves not be obese, which simply takes effort and discipline.

Old 02-11-2023, 02:40 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
Quote:
Clearly is what this is all about. We live in a consumer economy, young men are not buying sports illustrated to look at girls in swinsuits, before the internet that edition was a big deal, beauty pageants were a big deal, we now have generations of young men desensitized to half naked beautiful women so its not a big driver in terms of profit, it makes sense that since if you don't like yourself your not likely to buy new clothes, consume beauty products, if you normalize the thing that most of consumers already are then they can continue to buy stuff. All these things are markets interacting with other, maximizing profit.
so, what a publication like Sports Illustrated should be doing - and should have been for 5+ years (since this is 2+ yrs old) - is showing the absolute most fit female athletes in swimsuits as a method to celebrate their health and not their beauty.

So, the NYC supermodels need not apply. Go find the women soccer players, runners, etc etc that are incredibly fit

Old 02-11-2023, 02:45 PM

1,884 posts, read 1,002,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
She’s such an inspiration and role model for folks

With 42% of the country being obese, it’s easier to promote it as normalcy versus doing what one can to help themselves not be obese, which simply takes effort and discipline.
I don't disagree. There are many degrees of fat acceptance, from "be comfortable in your own skin" to "being 350 lbs is actually healthy".

Old 02-11-2023, 02:48 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
I don't disagree. There are many degrees of fat acceptance, from "be comfortable in your own skin" to "being 350 lbs is actually healthy".
Acceptance of being fat doesn’t make it healthy

Old 02-11-2023, 03:11 PM

19,792 posts, read 18,085,519 times
So I don't have the info in front of me but public health types like to compare unhealthy bits to cigarette smoking. I read one time that IIRC having a BMI around 40 - and the woman here is in that range - lessens ones life span akin to smoking a pack of cigs. per day. IOW being that fat is incredibly unhealthy over the long haul.

All else equal she'll die early.

Old 02-11-2023, 03:18 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
so, what a publication like Sports Illustrated should be doing - and should have been for 5+ years (since this is 2+ yrs old) - is showing the absolute most fit female athletes in swimsuits as a method to celebrate their health and not their beauty.

So, the NYC supermodels need not apply. Go find the women soccer players, runners, etc etc that are incredibly fit
A few magazines completing with Sports Illustrated tried that. But by the time they did the swimsuit edition was more than a section and was a stand alone magazine. A fashion magazine which borrowed the sports magazine's name for a week

Old 02-11-2023, 04:50 PM

13,741 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Well, the transgender from two years ago looks healthy enough.
https://swimsuit.si.com/swimnews/mee...21-leyna-bloom

But why use a trans fashion model?

She beats everyone (gay, straight, trans, etc.) at their own game.

Last edited by john3232; 02-11-2023 at 05:14 PM.. Reason: ,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies