Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2021, 09:41 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,787,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I would argue that I am very aware of all you listed ^. We treat all patients, including those with prior drug abuse/addiction.

We must understand drug tolerance. Those with a history of drug abuse/addiction will require a significantly higher dose of both IV drugs and inhalational anesthetics to obtain the same level of anesthesia/pain control as those without such a history.
These posters appear to be undereducated and ill informed.

He even argued that someone being pulseless for almost 3 minutes is a short period of time. They have little understanding of human physiology and their arguments are inane.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:46 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times
Quote:
I would argue that I am very aware of all you listed ^. We treat all patients, including those with prior drug abuse/addiction.

We must understand drug tolerance. Those with a history of drug abuse/addiction will require a significantly higher dose of both IV drugs and inhalational anesthetics to obtain the same level of anesthesia/pain control as those without such a history.
My assumption was that you'd be aware of those things....which is why your previous statement that "I can unequivocally tell you the Floyd did not die from an overdose of Fentanyl. An individual who overdosed on Fentanyl would be unresponsive almost immediately after the ingestion/injection." was so incredibly odd. A knowledgeable person wouldn't have said those things.

Given his large size, his high tolerance to the drug as a long time addict, the fact that the drugs were taken orally, and the fact that he was also high on methamphetamines, there's a very good chance that he wouldn't have been "unresponsive almost immediately after the ingestion"....that's just not how it works. Now if the drugs were injected, that changes everything. Incapacitation when it comes to intravenous opioid overdose often occurs before the addict can remove the needle.

You just don't get immediate incapacitation from oral drugs.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:49 AM

3,850 posts, read 1,791,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
These posters appear to be undereducated and ill informed.

He even argued that someone being pulseless for almost 3 minutes is a short period of time. They have little understanding of human physiology and their arguments are inane.
Your comments are unkind. Everyone posting about the case should be allowed their own opinion, without negative remarks like yours.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:52 AM

728 posts, read 303,437 times
Quote:
I am an anesthesiologist. As a profession, among many other areas, we have vast experience and knowledge in; drugs (including Fentanyl), airways, respiratory and circulatory systems, physiology, anatomy, and advanced life support protocols and techniques.

I am sure you have vast experience but let's focus only on that pertinent to medical examination of subjects who are dead on arrival in an emergency room of a hospital after encounter with the police. Do you have any?

An anesthesiologist helps ensure the safety of patients undergoing surgery. You might as well be a dentist in this regard. Just because you have studied medicine doesn't give you expertise in every aspect of the practice of that profession.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The jury doesn't have to assume the knee caused the death. The police caused harm, to someone in their custody. To the point of death. They could have helped Floyd survive. Instead, they harmed him.

Helped Floyd to survive? Floyd was in the custody of police officers and not Catholic priests.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:01 AM

8,957 posts, read 2,561,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
I am sure you have vast experience but let's focus only on that pertinent to medical examination of subjects who are dead on arrival in an emergency room of a hospital after encounter with the police. Do you have any?

An anesthesiologist helps ensure the safety of patients undergoing surgery. You might as well be a dentist in this regard. Just because you have studied medicine doesn't give you expertise in every aspect of the practice of that profession.
I think that's too uncharitable. I think the expertise is potentially more than adequate when it comes to knowledge of relevant drugs and how they act on the body, I just don't agree with the conclusions being drawn.....but I see how they got there based on what they deal with on a regular basis.

Someone having what is believed to be an inaccurate opinion doesn't always have to be due to inadequate knowledge or experience. Sometimes it can be nothing more than a misapplication of experience and knowledge.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:03 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,709,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The toxicology report of George Floyd showed that he had 11ng/cc concentration of fentanyl in his blood stream, as well as metabolites of fentanyl. The officers at the scene reported that Floyd had "froth coming from his mouth", which is consistent with pulmonary edema caused by a massive ingestion of fentanyl. In addition, his autopsy showed marked pulmonary edema, consistent with a fentanyl overdose.

I do reviews of cases for attorneys (malpractice cases for the defense) in addition to my medical practice and so have some legal exposure. Objectively, Floyd died of a drug overdose and there would have been nothing on the planet that could have saved him, except for rapid intubation and reversal of the drug with narcan.

Now FLoyd was a big man. Securing his airway, even by someone skilled in intubation, would have been difficult. In addition, he would have been very difficult to ventilate with marked pulmonary edema, and it would have been likely that he would have expired even with a skilled physician or EMT immediately securing his airway.

One would expect that justice will not be served and the arrested officers will be sacrificed on the alter of political correctness to prevent nationwide rioting. However, the fact of the matter is that Floyd died of an overdose, not the acts of the police.
His Lt is testifying to prove he had no clue what officers under his command were doing. I imagine the Sgt will reinforce that. Neither could be bothered. No wonder the troops wererunning amok

Old 04-06-2021, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Please.

You're embarrassing yourself.

We are all embarrassing ourselves and that's why this thread is such a hoot.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:08 AM

176 posts, read 76,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Initially when I heard about this case, I thought the officer was for sure going to be convicted of murder.....but between the overdose of Fenatnyl in Floyd's system, the history of overdose, and the dealer with him in the car who now is refusing to testify for fear he'd incriminate himself for 3rd degree murder, I just can't see how the jury would come back with a guilty verdict for the most serious charges.

The knee on the neck for as long as it was is still indefensible IMO, but without physical evidence of traumatic strangulation or asphyxia, but plenty of evidence of overdose, I don't see how we can assume the knee caused the death. Maybe contributed in some way, but that's about it.
I think the cops were taken by surprise by the speed with which Floyd’s condition deteriorated. How often does someone die within minutes of the police arriving? (Not counting something like being shot.)

Old 04-06-2021, 10:09 AM

176 posts, read 76,887 times
The pilots of aircraft are taught “crew resource management (CRM)”. Junior pilots are taught to speak up if they see the senior pilot making a mistake, and senior pilots are taught to listen to the junior pilots. This has improved safety.

Are cops given equivalent training?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies