Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 07:24 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
If you're American, OP, please educate yourself about other countries before posting about them. Canada's always been liberal by US standards.

If you're Canadian, why don't you give up your universal healthcare, seeing as you like to consider yourself philosophically aligned with US conservatives?
Educate us:
Can Canadians opt out of the their healthcare system? And by opt out I mean decline the benefit and the taxation.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 04-01-2021 at 07:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 07:25 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,947,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It is an obvious scam, any way you look at it. The people who are forced to go there, have to pay a much, much higher rate than when you stay there by choice.

Also, whoever heard of an airport hotel with a 3 night minimum? The whole point of having hotels at the airport is so people have somewhere convenient to stay on their layover. Most people only stay at these hotels for one night.
The restrictions aren't really about covid... the restrictions are about punishing Canadians who travel.

Trudeau explains it all on his Twitter feed. Protip - If you read it with a German accent, it makes more sense:

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/st...19-pandemic%2F

Old 04-01-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But they aren't randomly rounding people up and locking them up.

They clearly announced three weeks before they implemented that if you CHOSE to travel -- these are the conditions upon your return.

Nobody was FORCED to do anything.
This woman made a choice.
She used poor judgement because she thought she could get out of the restrictions that she accepted when she chose to leave the country a week before.
they are forcing those who elect to travel into confinement and punitive damages upon return.
They sent out a letter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Dear citizen,
You can travel abroad, but we're going to make it cost and time prohibitive for most all of you.

Best wishes,
The canadian govt

Old 04-01-2021, 08:29 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Nearly every country has and continues to impose restrictions for inbound travelers. No two countries have the same restrictions.

Returning US passport holders are required to have proof of a verifiable negative Covid test within 3 days of their intended return flight to the US.

If test is positive, passenger will be denied boarding, thus return and required to comply with the local requirements for quarantine, ranging in days from 7-14.

Some high end resorts in Mexico provide complimentary extended stays in the event a guest tests positive and not allowed to return home.

Israel, with the full backing of Netanyahu, closed all international airports- no inbound arrivals or outbound departures. Once reopened, Israel requires acceptable proof of a negative test, regardless of vaccine or recovery from previous infection.

Australia is all but closed to foreign travelers. Returning citizens must demonstrate a negative test and are quarantined for 14 days in their arrival city, at approved facilities. Those who test positive are not welcome to board a return flight.

I could fill pages.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:29 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
Why do they have to wait months back in Canada?

Our friends in Canada got their shots the same time I did here in South Carolina (I'm 61).
The USA has given out 350% more shots per capita than Canada is why. Like in the USA, the various provinces have different timetables.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:32 AM

30,377 posts, read 19,177,636 times
Quote:
I wonder what the healh insurance costs were for those Canadian snowbirds for six months?

They don't seem to mind spending THAT Money......
Not sure as they are fully covered in Canada but not sure how that works when they are in the USA....guessing it's very expensive. They would be in the wealthy class in Canada and they hate especially the winter up there and have had a home here to snowbird since 2007.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:13 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
I am a Canadian whose mother in law died last year. We didn't go to the funeral for our good and the good of our families.

This woman implies that she wasn't aware of the rules prior to her trip. She returned from a week away on Feb. 27th. The announcement with very specific regulations regarding foreign travel were announced almost three weeks before she left.

I also just tried to book a hotel at that same hotel and got a room for three adults for 250/night.

I suspect the problem with her high rate was that she was going to try to get 'compassionate' exception for those rules...and so she didn't plan appropriately. That's on her.....

She knew the rules. She didn't want to abide by them, paid the financial penalty for that.

I don't like the rule, it severely impacts my ability to travel to Canada. I will e fully vaccinated mid-April but these rules mean I still won't be able to travel to Canada without incurring all those costs....so I choose not to.

I'm not going to accept the conditions and then cry about them because they won't exempt me.
Exactly.

Her story made the news because it was not the norm.

Anyone else who CHOSE to travel outside of Canada knew the rules, and if you can afford to travel you can afford 3 nights in a hotel.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:27 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,564,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The USA has given out 350% more shots per capita than Canada is why. Like in the USA, the various provinces have different timetables.
It would have been great if the vaccines we ordered were delivered in a timely manner, but they weren't.

In the US 45 out of 100 have had at least one shot. In Canada it's 15 out of 100. That's a difference of 200 percent, not 350.

Or, the US has vaccinated 29 percent of it's population, and Canada 14 percent.

Vaccination are ramping up quickly in Canada though. It was in some way less urgent since our death rate per million was much lower than yours, but now with the new variants, urgency is warranted.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Exactly.

Her story made the news because it was not the norm.

Anyone else who CHOSE to travel outside of Canada knew the rules, and if you can afford to travel you can afford 3 nights in a hotel.

what an absurd presumption.

And its a mandatory 3 nights in a hotel under quarantine,. Not "3 nights in a hotel" as you mischaracterize to make it seem like another 3 vacation days someone might elect to take.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:49 AM

1,959 posts, read 702,074 times
Quote:
I am a Canadian whose mother in law died last year. We didn't go to the funeral for our good and the good of our families.

This woman implies that she wasn't aware of the rules prior to her trip. She returned from a week away on Feb. 27th. The announcement with very specific regulations regarding foreign travel were announced almost three weeks before she left.

I also just tried to book a hotel at that same hotel and got a room for three adults for 250/night.

I suspect the problem with her high rate was that she was going to try to get 'compassionate' exception for those rules...and so she didn't plan appropriately. That's on her.....

She knew the rules. She didn't want to abide by them, paid the financial penalty for that.

I don't like the rule, it severely impacts my ability to travel to Canada. I will e fully vaccinated mid-April but these rules mean I still won't be able to travel to Canada without incurring all those costs....so I choose not to.

I'm not going to accept the conditions and then cry about them because they won't exempt me.
Are you booking as a returnee? As far as I know, it was close to around a couple thousands for 3 nights. Also, she might think she could get away with that since many returnees just walked out of the airport and never checked into the hotel.

BTW, good luck with the Vaccine. I highly doubt JT can that many
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies