Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 11:50 AM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It would have been great if the vaccines we ordered were delivered in a timely manner, but they weren't.

In the US 45 out of 100 have had at least one shot. In Canada it's 15 out of 100. That's a difference of 200 percent, not 350.

Or, the US has vaccinated 29 percent of it's population, and Canada 14 percent.

Vaccination are ramping up quickly in Canada though. It was in some way less urgent since our death rate per million was much lower than yours, but now with the new variants, urgency is warranted.
The question was why Canadians here in Arizona could get vaccinated before their friends in their home Province and the fact that the USA has given 3 times the number of shots per capita is why which we agree on?

Canada does have a better track record on controlling covid than the USA but at the cost of greater social isolation with the myriad of problems that causes and higher economic damage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2021, 11:51 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
[/b]

what an absurd presumption.

And its a mandatory 3 nights in a hotel under quarantine,. Not "3 nights in a hotel" as you mischaracterize to make it seem like another 3 vacation days someone might elect to take.
I'm talking about the expectations of costs of a hotel, not whether the stay is a holiday or not.

There is a lot to her story that is odd. Saying she couldn't find out information while in Portugal is doubtful. Although her timeline is close, the information about the program and the first list of hotels where she would have landed, Toronto, were online 8 days before she left Portugal.

Alt Hotel Pearson Airport
Four Points by Sheraton and Element Toronto Airport
Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport
Sheraton Gateway Hotel in Toronto International Airport

IMO she made a lot of assumptions, didn't bother to try and contact the hotels beforehand, or even email her local MP for information etc.

The ONLY part of the program that I disagree with is not refunding the money for the nights people didn't have to stay.

Old 04-01-2021, 11:56 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The question was why Canadians here in Arizona could get vaccinated before their friends in their home Province and the fact that the USA has given 3 times the number of shots per capita is why which we agree on?

Canada does have a better track record on controlling covid than the USA but at the cost of greater social isolation with the myriad of problems that causes and higher economic damage.
It's not a difficult question. The reason has been stated over and over. The reason is that Canada, even though was one of the first countries to try and secure vaccines, never got what we were promised, for various reasons.

Also, before you ask, if I was in the US and saw Canadian snowbirds getting vaccinated, I wouldn't be happy. I'm still not happy about those that left Canada when asked not to. Selfish they are.

Greater social isolation? Like the US, that depends where you live in Canada. I certainly don't feel isolated.

What myriad of problems does Canada have regarding this, that the US doesn't? Economic damage is worldwide, Canada will be fine.

Old 04-01-2021, 12:08 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Got quarantine here as well.

I'm cool with that - freedom isn't about trying to mange a virus.

Old 04-01-2021, 03:55 PM

2,187 posts, read 1,382,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I am a Canadian whose mother in law died last year. We didn't go to the funeral for our good and the good of our families.
That's your choice. Nonsensical, but your choice.

Old 04-01-2021, 04:29 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It would have been great if the vaccines we ordered were delivered in a timely manner, but they weren't.

In the US 45 out of 100 have had at least one shot. In Canada it's 15 out of 100. That's a difference of 200 percent, not 350.

Or, the US has vaccinated 29 percent of it's population, and Canada 14 percent.

Vaccination are ramping up quickly in Canada though. It was in some way less urgent since our death rate per million was much lower than yours, but now with the new variants, urgency is warranted.
It's not up to me but I think Canadians ought to be able to skip quarantine if they can show proof of completed vaccination..

My Canadian snowbird neighbors (from Calgary) are fixing to leave now that the weather is heating up here. I was talking to them across the fence a few days ago and they say they will have to quarantine two weeks upon return. They did not avail themselves of free shots offered to them here because they are afraid it would alter their DNA. Canadians, at least some of them, are as dumb as Americans it seems. Let them quarantine.

Old 04-01-2021, 05:58 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
I don’t understand: if they just arrived from overseas, why were they supposed to quarantine in a regular hotel? What driver would accept driving them if they were infected with Covid-19 ? And what about the hotel staff? Were all these people dealing with infected tourists better than sending them home (or to a facility dedicated to Covid patients)?

Last edited by oberon_1; 04-01-2021 at 06:08 PM..

Old 04-01-2021, 08:01 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I don’t understand: if they just arrived from overseas, why were they supposed to quarantine in a regular hotel? What driver would accept driving them if they were infected with Covid-19 ? And what about the hotel staff? Were all these people dealing with infected tourists better than sending them home (or to a facility dedicated to Covid patients)?
They are regular hotels now being used for quarantine with all appropriate quarantine measures in place. That's why it is expensive.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:03 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
They are regular hotels now being used for quarantine with all appropriate quarantine measures in place. That's why it is expensive.
How “regular hotels” can be appropriate for virus infected people? In other nations there are specially designated hotels. You have to stay in your room and the personnel are wearing special protection gear. However they have minimal contact with the guests. There is no roaming corridors, or using the hotel restaurant. How do you prevent that in regular hotels that hosts regular guests?

On different topic - these people were waiting for the hotel shuttle. Who would drive such bus? That sounds crazy, regardless of the money they paid.

Old 04-01-2021, 09:18 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
How “regular hotels” can be appropriate for virus infected people? In other nations there are specially designated hotels. You have to stay in your room and the personnel are wearing special protection gear. However they have minimal contact with the guests. There is no roaming corridors, or using the hotel restaurant. How do you prevent that in regular hotels that hosts regular guests?

On different topic - these people were waiting for the hotel shuttle. Who would drive such bus? That sounds crazy, regardless of the money they paid.
They are specially designated hotels just like in other countries.

The link might help with your questions.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-heal...ted-hotel.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies