Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you prefer that the pilot on your next flight be hired based on merit, or on race?
Merit 85 88.54%
Race 7 7.29%
neither/ don't know 4 4.17%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 03:05 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times

Advertisements

Just so happens I had a United check airman [the instructor pilots who train all the airline's other pilots] on my jumpseat 2 days ago. Needless to say he was not thrilled about this "directive' from his employer as it was going directly make his job all that more challenging. He was entertaining the thought of stepping down to regular line pilot once it gets implemented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 03:38 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,493,228 times
Airlines hire for profit. Airplane manufacturers build for profit. One expense that may have some cut corners is training pilots in software updates. A kid with flight simulator experience could be enough if he knows the software.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:10 PM

2,024 posts, read 1,314,638 times
The United Pilots diversity program is nothing more than advertising for women and people of color to go to United's flight school, which costs about $89,000. But it is discounted if you're a woman or PoC, and there are scholarship programs.
It's like what the country is doing to get women into STEM programs: advertising and money. After that it
is sink or swim.

Here's what United says about their program
https://hub.united.com/2021-04-06-un...651374725.html

Aviate academy:
https://unitedaviate.com/aviate-prog...rogram-details
IF you graduate, you have another 5 years of flying before you can be a United pilot.

United is not saying they're going to hire people based on their sex or skin.
The program is about getting them to want to be a pilot and into flight school.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:38 AM

57,288 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
The entire purpose of this talking point is to point out how the system is systemically racist because you don’t see a directly proportional representation of x group in x industry based on demographics.

You don’t get to change the tactics being used just to fit your ideology. The rhetoric you’re using requires race, gender, ethnicity, etc. to be considered to meet the goal of a “perfect proportion.”

Critical Race Theory: An Introduction
Delgado and Stefancic

You all keep arguing with CRT talking points but you don’t know any of the literature. Merit is a “master’s tool” that cannot be used to “dismantle the master’s house.”
Those are pretty lopsided numbers, you don't see a bias but it exists. So are these other groups that much inferior, women aren't qualified to fly. You are avoiding the obvious points made, half of their 10,000 hires come from existing airlines and the military are they not qualified. If a higher percentage of a minority can pass the academy how is that lowering the bar.

You are speaking without even understanding the selection process, I am not interested in perfection just a more fair system. Why were minorities excluded from jobs as executives, police force, firefighters in the past, using your logic those positions would still be 100 percent white.

Old 04-09-2021, 05:44 AM

8,765 posts, read 5,055,756 times
Some posters voted for "race", had to be a joke right??? No one can be that stupid....can they?

Old 04-09-2021, 06:12 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
Some posters voted for "race", had to be a joke right??? No one can be that stupid....can they?
that's why I'm kicking myself for making an anonymous poll...

Old 04-09-2021, 08:42 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
that's why I'm kicking myself for making an anonymous poll...
It’s probably pretty close to accurate. The percentages I’ve seen are around 10% believe in CRT. Which doesn’t seem to crazy until you figure they’re mostly administrators, professors and HR people not generally subject to political pressures as they’re unelected bureaucrats. And that means there could be up to 34 million of them, that’s sort of concerning too.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:50 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,242,613 times
Since everything is about race now, please note the race of the 737 Max 8 pilots who crashed.

Old 04-09-2021, 09:01 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Those are pretty lopsided numbers, you don't see a bias but it exists. So are these other groups that much inferior, women aren't qualified to fly. You are avoiding the obvious points made, half of their 10,000 hires come from existing airlines and the military are they not qualified. If a higher percentage of a minority can pass the academy how is that lowering the bar.

You are speaking without even understanding the selection process, I am not interested in perfection just a more fair system. Why were minorities excluded from jobs as executives, police force, firefighters in the past, using your logic those positions would still be 100 percent white.
There is NO INSTITUTIONAL BIAS. Big corps including airlines are falling all over themselves to hire Blacks and women. The problem is with the CANDIDATES who either don't want that career or don't have the aptitude. I know, I work for one and am involved in the recruiting process.

Old 04-10-2021, 11:54 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
There is NO INSTITUTIONAL BIAS. Big corps including airlines are falling all over themselves to hire Blacks and women. The problem is with the CANDIDATES who either don't want that career or don't have the aptitude. I know, I work for one and am involved in the recruiting process.
anyone who claims that is not the case is ready for the straight-jacket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies