Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you prefer that the pilot on your next flight be hired based on merit, or on race?
Merit 85 88.54%
Race 7 7.29%
neither/ don't know 4 4.17%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 07:06 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
IQ above 140 are about 1% of the population. So if you want all your pilots to have a 140 IQ I would expect the cost to be a factor of 3 or 4 above mere college graduates.
uh.. what? no one ever claimed that was the criteria for being a pilot.

and why are you still unable to answer my question?

once again:
do you want competent pilots not hired because they are not the right sex/race?

yes or no. even a self proclaimed genius should be able to handle that one.

Quote:
IQ I would qualify by the way. I have a pilot certificate and an IQ well above 140.
well congratulations. another anonymous forum genius
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 07:07 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
NBA should be 50% Women, Whites and Asians.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:14 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Disgusting poll designed to push the narrative all good pilots are white and pilots of color are poor pilots, and they only got the job due to AA.
Poll said no such thing. Merit vs. race. Didn't say WHICH race, and didn't say that being of a certain race meant that one did not have merit.

And, btw, I think that 99.5% of whites would rather have a university-trained and licensed black doctor as their physician instead of a white person who just took a couple of anatomy classes and read Gray's Anatomy.

Last edited by katharsis; 04-07-2021 at 07:24 PM..

Old 04-07-2021, 07:14 PM

4,994 posts, read 1,992,952 times
Quote:
Do we really want merit?

How about we establish a standard that only the ultimate pilot makes it on merit. An IG over 150 and incredible understanding of flight and ultimate reflexes.

They only problem is those kind of people are in high demand and cost 3 or 4 times what a commercial pilot costs today. So basically the cost of flying goes up say 50% to cover the cost of the pilots.

So you folks all willing to pay 50% more to fly with high merit pilots?

I flew light aircraft for some years when I was younger. I will pass on that level of merit. Those folk are high skilled bus drivers. And the job requires no more.

So do you guys really want pure merit?

You are changing the subject. What United is doing is giving pilots preference by race not merit.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:18 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,921,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Problem here is that IQ does not determine aircraft piloting skill any more than it determines how well you can operate a backhoe or repair an air conditioner. There is a difference between a real-world skill and academic ability. I have a confirmed high IQ as well. I guarantee you that you do not want me flying your airliner. But hey, I can likely whip a good pilot's butt on a standardized IQ test. Mmmmmm... big deal. Doesn't mean much out in the real world with real tasks to be performed beyond book-worming or sitting on one's ass in a University faculty office.

And by the same token, requiring X number of black pilots and X number of white pilots doesn't cut it either. Skin color means nothing in this regard. If a good black pilot gets the job or the good white pilot gets the job... well, that is the way it is supposed to work. But if a BAD black (or white) pilot gets the job based on the color of his or her skin, well, that is where we have a problem.
I agree, experience and good observation, instincts and common sense to me are important as well.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:24 PM

the woke crowd needs to up their game on this poll - they're getting clobbered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Poll said no such thing. Merit vs. race. Didn't say WHICH race, and didn't say that being of a certain race meant that one did not have merit.
of course. but elliott will never let that get in the way of a good self-righteous shriek of 'racism!'

Old 04-07-2021, 07:28 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,815,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
the woke crowd needs to up their game on this poll - they're getting clobbered.

of course. but elliott will never let that get in the way of a good self-righteous shriek of 'racism!'
Who is going to choose race over merit? Not even United is doing that. It's a flawed poll. Merit is guaranteed to win and you knew that from the beginning.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:36 PM

1,265 posts, read 445,473 times
Hey you score a 70% they still call you doctor.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Who is going to choose race over merit? Not even United is doing that. It's a flawed poll. Merit is guaranteed to win and you knew that from the beginning.
how do you know united isn't doing exactly that?
are you telling us that united won't reject a more qualified white dude over a less qualified female or minority in order to make their quota? why are you ok with that?

Old 04-07-2021, 07:46 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,815,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
how do you know united isn't doing exactly that?
are you telling us that united won't reject a more qualified white dude over a less qualified female or minority in order to make their quota?
Are you telling us they are? Because this flawed poll implies so. United never said they would choose less qualified people over more qualified people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies