Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you prefer that the pilot on your next flight be hired based on merit, or on race?
Merit 85 88.54%
Race 7 7.29%
neither/ don't know 4 4.17%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 05:22 PM

9,049 posts, read 3,525,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Disgusting poll designed to push the narrative all good pilots are white and pilots of color are poor pilots, and they only got the job due to AA.
Only to those determined to be offended. The rest of us can understand that the narrative being pushed is that the best available talent should be hired regardless of race. That is not what United is doing.

I couldn't care less who is driving the bus so long as I know they went through a fairly weighted screening process. Again, that is not what United is doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 05:23 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,357,659 times
Do we really want merit?

How about we establish a standard that only the ultimate pilot makes it on merit. An IG over 150 and incredible understanding of flight and ultimate reflexes.

They only problem is those kind of people are in high demand and cost 3 or 4 times what a commercial pilot costs today. So basically the cost of flying goes up say 50% to cover the cost of the pilots.

So you folks all willing to pay 50% more to fly with high merit pilots?

I flew light aircraft for some years when I was younger. I will pass on that level of merit. Those folk are high skilled bus drivers. And the job requires no more.

So do you guys really want pure merit?

Old 04-07-2021, 05:25 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Do we really want merit?

How about we establish a standard that only the ultimate pilot makes it on merit. An IG over 150 and incredible understanding of flight and ultimate reflexes.

They only problem is those kind of people are in high demand and cost 3 or 4 times what a commercial pilot costs today. So basically the cost of flying goes up say 50% to cover the cost of the pilots.

So you folks all willing to pay 50% more to fly with high merit pilots?

I flew light aircraft for some years when I was younger. I will pass on that level of merit. Those folk are high skilled bus drivers. And the job requires no more.

So do you guys really want pure merit?
yes.

do you want competent pilots not hired because they are not the right sex/race?

Old 04-07-2021, 05:27 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,656,400 times
I am hoping that they have enough of a pool of qualified people of color to choose from so it won't be an issue.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:33 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Disgusting poll designed to push the narrative all good pilots are white and pilots of color are poor pilots, and they only got the job due to AA.

Not at all. There are good pilots of all races and bad pilots of all races. When race is the primary determiner of which of them get the job, THAT is the problem and THAT is disgusting.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yes.

do you want competent pilots not hired because they are not the right sex/race?
Do you want the best merit possible even if it doubles the cost of air travel?

Is merit the best or simply good enough? What is it you want and how much will you pay?

Personally good enough is the right standard. And any color who meets that level is fine.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:39 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Do you want the best merit possible even if it doubles the cost of air travel?

Is merit the best or simply good enough? What is it you want and how much will you pay?

Personally good enough is the right standard. And any color who meets that level is fine.
why didn't you answer my question?

produce evidence that hiring based on merit will double the cost of air travel.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
why didn't you answer my question?

produce evidence that hiring based on merit will double the cost of air travel.
IQ above 140 are about 1% of the population. So if you want all your pilots to have a 140 IQ I would expect the cost to be a factor of 3 or 4 above mere college graduates.

I would qualify by the way. I have a pilot certificate and an IQ well above 140.

But if you check around a bit you will find that people like me make very high salaries. So if you want the best merit flying your airplanes you need to pay for it.

And again the merit level to be flying should not be the very best. It should be good enough. And that is basically way the system works. A pilot shows sufficient merit to do that level of piloting. And that is a minimum standard not the best available.

So the reality is we require a minimum level of pilot merit and then whatever gender or color.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:45 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,443,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
50% being women and POC is pretty much the weakest threshold to master and it still upsets you... Women are over 50% of the US population. None-whites make up 40% of the population. Their 'lofty' goal is for the is to have 71% of the US population make up 50 % of their trainees. Considering how much more ethnically diverse the under 25 crowd is than the seniors its probably more along the lines of women and POC making up 74% of the people who will be the target age for trainees. So on paper they are allowing 2 white males in relation to 2/3 of one representative for the other groups.
You don’t know that. Can you support your statement with data. Just because women make up 50% of the population does not mean you can have 50% female pilots. There are many jobs where the vast majority of applicants are one gender or the other because of interest. Only 1.42% of applicants were female in 2020. Men are just more interested as a whole in planes and flying than women. That’s not to say there aren’t some darn good female pilots, but they are a very small minority.

Old 04-07-2021, 06:55 PM

25,758 posts, read 18,826,754 times
Quote:
IQ above 140 are about 1% of the population. So if you want all your pilots to have a 140 IQ I would expect the cost to be a factor of 3 or 4 above mere college graduates.

I would qualify by the way. I have a pilot certificate and an IQ well above 140.

But if you check around a bit you will find that people like me make very high salaries. So if you want the best merit flying your airplanes you need to pay for it.

And again the merit level to be flying should not be the very best. It should be good enough. And that is basically way the system works. A pilot shows sufficient merit to do that level of piloting. And that is a minimum standard not the best available.

So the reality is we require a minimum level of pilot merit and then whatever gender or color.
Problem here is that IQ does not determine aircraft piloting skill any more than it determines how well you can operate a backhoe or repair an air conditioner. There is a difference between a real-world skill and academic ability. I have a confirmed high IQ as well. I guarantee you that you do not want me flying your airliner. But hey, I can likely whip a good pilot's butt on a standardized IQ test. Mmmmmm... big deal. Doesn't mean much out in the real world with real tasks to be performed beyond book-worming or sitting on one's ass in a University faculty office.

And by the same token, requiring X number of black pilots and X number of white pilots doesn't cut it either. Skin color means nothing in this regard. If a good black pilot gets the job or the good white pilot gets the job... well, that is the way it is supposed to work. But if a BAD black (or white) pilot gets the job based on the color of his or her skin, well, that is where we have a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies