Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you prefer that the pilot on your next flight be hired based on merit, or on race?
Merit 85 88.54%
Race 7 7.29%
neither/ don't know 4 4.17%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 12:59 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times

Advertisements

united airlines getting torn a new one on twitter..

https://twitter.com/united/status/1379426304857141250

Quote:
Our flight deck should reflect the diverse group of people on board our planes every day. That’s why we plan for 50% of the 5,000 pilots we train in the next decade to be women or people of color. Learn more and apply now: http://uafly.co/UnitedAviateAcademy

Quote:
Matt Walsh
@MattWalshBlog
14h
Replying to @united
Unbelievably, no major airline has ever hired a member of the blind community to pilot one of their aircraft. Will you be the first to break this glass ceiling once and for all? Anti-blind bigotry has no place in the airline industry or anywhere else in society!
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 01:02 PM

5,861 posts, read 3,301,312 times
A pilot has my life in their hands. Competence is key. I could care less about race or gender. If that means it is 100% white pilots or 100% black pilots I could care less. The most qualified should be flying period!!

Old 04-07-2021, 01:18 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
You know - they really didn't have to make a big deal out of this to hire black and women pilots... they could have just done it in the normal acquisition of talent and follow their normal protocol.

But now that they have made this public, don't let there be an accident with an all black/women crew - because people will point back to this and say they hired inferior talent to satisfy the woke quota... which would not be fair to the flight crew if they were indeed qualified.

Old 04-07-2021, 01:22 PM

1,706 posts, read 637,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You know - they really didn't have to make a big deal out of this to hire black and women pilots... they could have just done it in the normal acquisition of talent and follow their normal protocol.
Exactly.

Old 04-07-2021, 01:23 PM

5,280 posts, read 6,217,453 times
50% being women and POC is pretty much the weakest threshold to master and it still upsets you... Women are over 50% of the US population. None-whites make up 40% of the population. Their 'lofty' goal is for the is to have 71% of the US population make up 50 % of their trainees. Considering how much more ethnically diverse the under 25 crowd is than the seniors its probably more along the lines of women and POC making up 74% of the people who will be the target age for trainees. So on paper they are allowing 2 white males in relation to 2/3 of one representative for the other groups.

Old 04-07-2021, 01:25 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,035,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

But now that they have made this public, don't let there be an accident with an all black/women crew - because people will point back to this and say they hired inferior talent to satisfy the woke quota... which would not be fair to the flight crew if they were indeed qualified.

"People of color" doesn't have to mean Black. They will probably hire some Half White/Half Asians (unlike most stem fields, Asians are underrepresented as pilots so will meet quotas) and some Whites who have 1/8 Cherokee Blood who claim to be "Native American" to meet their quotas. Of course, they will hire qualified Blacks and Hispanics too but I don't think the airlines will risk people's lives by dipping very low into the pool of underqualified minorities just to meet their quotas. They do that all the time for "paper pusher jobs" but flying a plane at 30,000 feet (or doing any kind of surgery) is too much of a risk to take with so many lives on the line.

Old 04-07-2021, 01:26 PM

19,814 posts, read 9,376,760 times
Merit, of course -- just as I would choose merit vs. race for my doctor, dentist, or any kind of professional advisor. The question is silly.

In fact, I can't think of any job where merit wouldn't matter above race -- but if someone is not skilled at their job, the consequences for doing their job poorly would be much worse if that person was a pilot or doctor as compared to, for example, a waiter or professional gardener.

Old 04-07-2021, 01:27 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,587,391 times
God willing, I will never step foot into another airplane for as long as I live, so I don't really care for me. But since my son and grandsons fly a lot for business, I'm gonna go with "merit".

Old 04-07-2021, 01:32 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
"People of color" doesn't have to mean Black. They will probably hire some Half White/Half Asians (unlike most stem fields, Asians are underrepresented as pilots so will meet quotas) and some Whites who have 1/8 Cherokee Blood who claim to be "Native American" to meet their quotas. Of course, they will hire qualified Blacks and Hispanics too but I don't think the airlines will risk people's lives by dipping very low into the pool of underqualified minorities just to meet their quotas. They do that all the time for "paper pusher jobs" but flying a plane at 30,000 feet (or doing any kind of surgery) is too much of a risk to take with so many lives on the line.
You are right... my bad - we have had a monopoly on the term for decades up until the race card was overdrawn by solely using us black folks. Now the race card has been extended to other nationalities out of political expediency.

Like a bank that offers different designs on its credit cards for promotional purposes... in addition to the original black race card, liberals now have the brown race card, and have just recently introduced the yellow race card.

Old 04-07-2021, 01:35 PM

447 posts, read 322,226 times
I just want to know if only united will do this based on 'diversity', or all the airlines?
Driving might be an option. I just wish USA could have the same railway system like European countries do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies