Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2021, 09:42 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Most likely. But until then we will have more international travel restrictions.
You’re not going to get everyone in this country vaccinated unless you think it’s worth it to hold people down and forcefully inject them so it’s unrealistic even domestically. The plan is not workable by any stretch of the imagination. People are going to need accept reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 09:46 AM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You’re not going to get everyone in this country vaccinated unless you think it’s worth it to hold people down and forcefully inject them so it’s unrealistic even domestically. The plan is not workable by any stretch of the imagination. People are going to need accept reality.
I agree. But the more we get vaccinated in a short time the better. This is Pandemic risk management.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:46 AM

46,967 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
No, that's what you fail to comprehend about a vaccine. It IS about the person who is vaccinated. Otherwise there would be no point of even having a vaccination. Sorry to burst you bubble, but your collectivist indoctrination does NOT fit this situation.

A vaccination protects the person who gets the vaccine. No more, no less (assuming the vaccination is effective).
Whose turn is it to explain the concept of herd immunity?

ChrisC, this is something you're going to have to come to terms with, because it's a fact: Epidemics run in populations. If people choose to not take precautions, they're not just making a choice on their own behalf, they're making a choice for everyone they come in contact with.

Viruses cannot comprehend the idea of a libertarian philosophy. All they can do is what evolution made them do: Pass on their genetic material onto any available host. The percentage of hosts that engage in behavior to make the virus' job easier determine their success. And that's in the population - collectively, if you will.

It's simple. Humanity or the virus, pick a side.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:47 AM

25,771 posts, read 18,834,175 times
Quote:
Sorry, I didn’t know you were talking about vaccines that actually provide longer term immunity, just viruses that constantly mutate. Not all vaccines provide lifelong immunity. Pertussis is one that doesn’t for example.

I’ve had one flu shot more than 20 years ago and never will get another. I’ve only had the flu once since then and had been exposed several time other times but didn’t get it.

I’m very pro choice when comes to vaccines and would never tell anyone to get one or not for anything.
Well, to be fair, I didn't specify which vaccines I was talking about.

For me, the glaring bottom line is that most people today do not understand what a vaccine is. It's hard to comprehend why they don't understand. All I can think of is the younger generation's inclination to view everything through the prism of collectivism. (since they've been indoctrinated to think that way from birth, like kamikazes)

But at it's core, a vaccine protects the person who gets it (assuming it is effective) against the disease it is made to inoculate against. No more, no less. It's like a shield. If I'm carrying a shield, that shield does not protect the guy standing a hundred yards away from an incoming arrow or blow from a sword. HE NEEDS his own shield. If he doesn't have that shield, it means squat to me. Because I have my shield. If I don't have my shield, I take my own chances... but again, that doesn't affect the guy standing a hundred yards from me.

This is not a collectivist thing. A vaccine is a one by one girding of "armor." Your armor does not protect me and mine does not protect you. It's interesting that any common serf in the middle ages would have understood this, but we can't today. Breathtaking, really. Now if one wants to argue that if we all have shields, our "army" is stronger. But that is another argument and not at all what I'm referencing in these posts.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
I agree. But the more we get vaccinated in a short time the better. This is Pandemic risk management.
Once everyone who wants one gets one, we need to move on and stop trying to force everyone to get on board.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Well, to be fair, I didn't specify which vaccines I was talking about.

For me, the glaring bottom line is that most people today do not understand what a vaccine is. It's hard to comprehend why they don't understand. All I can think of is the younger generation's inclination to view everything through the prism of collectivism. (since they've been indoctrinated to think that way from birth, like kamikazes)

But at it's core, a vaccine protects the person who gets it (assuming it is effective) against the disease it is made to inoculate against. No more, no less. It's like a shield. If I'm carrying a shield, that shield does not protect the guy standing a hundred yards away from an incoming arrow or blow from a sword. HE NEEDS his own shield. If he doesn't have that shield, it means squat to me. Because I have my shield. If I don't have my shield, I take my own chances... but again, that doesn't affect the guy standing a hundred yards from me.

This is not a collectivist thing. A vaccine is a one by one girding of "armor." Your armor does not protect me and mine does not protect you. It's interesting that any common serf in the middle ages would have understood this, but we can't today. Breathtaking, really. Now if one wants to argue that if we all have shields, our "army" is stronger. But that is another argument and not at all what I'm referencing in these posts.
The reason your whole hypothesis falls flat is the vast numbers of active Covid 19 infections out in the world right now.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:55 AM

43,134 posts, read 18,298,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Whose turn is it to explain the concept of herd immunity?

ChrisC, this is something you're going to have to come to terms with, because it's a fact: Epidemics run in populations. If people choose to not take precautions, they're not just making a choice on their own behalf, they're making a choice for everyone they come in contact with.

Viruses cannot comprehend the idea of a libertarian philosophy. All they can do is what evolution made them do: Pass on their genetic material onto any available host. The percentage of hosts that engage in behavior to make the virus' job easier determine their success. And that's in the population - collectively, if you will.

It's simple. Humanity or the virus, pick a side.
People who don't get the vaccine may get covid and recover and then are part of the "herd".
And there are people with super robust immunity systems that never seem to catch anything and get no shots.

Every human is different. The sick, the weak and the old are the first to drop and that applies to any novel sickness that strikes a population..human, animal, vegetable.

There is a natural order to things and all the vaccines in the world won't change it.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Once everyone who wants one gets one, we need to move on and stop trying to force everyone to get on board.
That won't stop anytime soon because of mutations and the yet to be determined duration of natural and vaccine induced immunities. We might have to settle for a situation like Influenza. Not the best of worlds, but a whole lot better than continued and rampant Covid 19.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
There is a natural order to things and all the vaccines in the world won't change it.
Of course they have and will continue to do so.

Old 04-10-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
That won't stop anytime soon because of mutations and the yet to be determined duration of natural and vaccine induced immunities. We might have to settle for a situation like Influenza. Not the best of worlds, but a whole lot better than continued and rampant Covid 19.
I do think it will end up being similar to influenza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies