Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 06:04 PM

21 posts, read 17,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm not sure standing in line hoping to buy outrageously overpriced goods for the status symbol of carrying them is a measure of success and inclusion. Just the opposite. People who carry status symbols that aren't worth the money are desperate to announce they are included.

If they were standing in line, say, at the title company, or featured as a top 10% med school graduate, or a school board member, that's something to note as a measure of success.

Someone who is trying to throw money away on a Gucci item isn't all that much better off, psychologically, IMHO, than people standing in line to buy lotto tickets. Both are misplaced hope.

Well stated.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:10 PM

13,429 posts, read 9,960,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I see you can't address my very valid points. Interesting.
Oh, I forgot to address one of your very valid points.

Quote:
2) Obviously, there are plenty of blacks who can afford Gucci. (I myself would never pay $1000 or whatever they charge for a purse.)
Of course you yourself would never pay 1000 bucks or whatever they charge for a purse. Nor would you go on a cruise, or other such trivial pleasurable pursuits and wastes of monies, because you are way more responsible than the average ne'er do well layabout and why should you be responsible for people when they obviously are just not as self righteously frugal and disciplined as you are.

I believe that's what those on the right like to accuse people of, when people humble brag about how much better they are than everyone else, a thing they like to refer to as virtue signalling.

Nice how you threw that little snippet in along with your other very valid points.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:26 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
This succinctly describes my issue with some of Rachel’s posts. Jewish folks are even wealthier than Whites, Blacks and Hispanics as well as a significant proportion of the various Asian communities. Yet still suffer from discrimination. Indians who are the wealthiest group in America. Still have a character like Apu being one of the most popular Indian characters on TV. Also I have no problem with Apu, and racial humor. But he’s a perfect example of wealth not enhancing your societal portrayal.
You know what they say: stereotypes exist for a reason. I routinely visit several 7-Elevens in my area. (What can I say? My son loves Slurpees!) In each and every one of them, all of the employees are South Asian. Oh, and all the dry cleaners around here are run by East Asians. Yes, these are stereotypes. But they also happen to be true.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:34 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
And out comes another liberal yelling "racism" because I dared to take issue with the left's narrative - namely, that blacks are all oppressed and suffering from systemic racism, and we whites owe it to them to pass legislation geared specifically to people of a darker skin color. To the contrary, there are plenty of black people in my area, the majority of whom are middle-class at worst and outright affluent at best.

And yes, if you listen to the leftist media wail on and on about the poor, downtrodden, oppressed black people, it seems some DO need an education that most aren't like that. You should see the mailer I just got from the liberal running for governor: it was on four issues (economy, education, health care, and the justice system), with primary attention devoted to how blacks need help in every area, and what he proposes to provide for them. There was no mention of any other demographic.
So 14 black people standing in line for Gucci bags disproves every instance of inequality ever experienced by any POC in this country ever?

Mmkay.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:35 PM

Quote:
You liberals are all doing the same thing: I'm pointing out how the left's focus on race is making everyone so aware of black and white - and boom! Out with: "Racist!"

To the contrary, I'm noting how successful many blacks are (especially around the DC area, where I live), and for that, I'm called a racist. That's because.....shhhhhh.......we have to keep playing the race card and pretend that blacks are still oppressed victims, and thus teach it in school.

IT'S a LIE.
14 people.

Not a representative sample.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:38 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
1) Without the false narrative being peddled by the radical leftists about how oppressed blacks are and how evil and "born racist" whites are, I never would have noticed. (I certainly wouldn't have counted!)

2) Obviously, there are plenty of blacks who can afford Gucci. (I myself would never pay $1000 or whatever they charge for a purse.)

3) Even if the percentage of affluent blacks who can afford Gucci is small (as is the percentage of whites), most blacks are middle class and could certainly buy one at MACY's or JCPenney.

4) There is a subset of blacks (subset!) who are impoverished high school dropouts hanging out on the corner doing drugs by day and engaging in gang warfare and other crime by night.

Conclusion: Blacks should not be presented as helpless, oppressed victims around whom the entire focus of political policy is centered. It's a lie, pushed by Democrats to obtain and maintain power.
I don't know what you are referring to. You should have linked it, cuz I do not follow fashion designers.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I know you weren't addressing me, but so far, this is a fact-free thread. What are the facts?

We have one anectdotal post that posits that based on 14 Blacks lined up at a Gucci store, Blacks are economically doing well as a group. They are just fine.

On the other side we apparently have Democrats and the Liberal Left screaming to us that all Blacks are oppressed, need rescuing, and are living in poverty.

Does anyone want to post any facts on either side of the argument or will we just throw out our perceptions?

I have found some data that pretty much states that, overall, across the spectrum, Blacks don't do as well as most of their non-Black cohorts in any category pertaining to wealth, earnings, for financial stability.

On the other hand, I live in an area full of affluent Blacks so I see that side of it and realize that there is a subset that are doing very well.

What we don't know here on this thread is, what is the truth. I suspect it's somewhere in the middle.

I will say that shopping at Gucci is not evidence of wealth. As I've said, I've seen some pretty fiscally irresponsibile people buying luxury goods that shouldn't be. They are either largely in debt or living at home with their parents.
An excellent and very valid point.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:01 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,906,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So 14 black people standing in line for Gucci bags disproves every instance of inequality ever experienced by any POC in this country ever?

Mmkay.
Stimulus "infrastructure" money being well spent. Providing good jobs in Italy nonetheless!

Old 04-19-2021, 07:14 PM

7,420 posts, read 2,712,234 times
Quote:
The left has made racism the primary issue in this country, and it is premised on the false narrative that blacks need more government assistance to lift them out of poverty and a life of crime. I am simply negating that premise.

Also, you will note that one of my points in the OP is that I never would have noticed that there were all black people waiting in line for Gucci (in case it's not clear, it's because of social distancing in the store), but this constant drumbeat of race....black......race........black has made me much more aware.

Example: I received a mailer from the leftist Dem running for governor. In each of the four areas in which he proposed "improvements" - the economy, health care, the justice system, and education - he had front-and-center how the changes would improve the lives of blacks (while outlining how far behind they are). He did not address any other demographic - his sole focus was on blacks. Sorry, but I don't want a governor who cares only, or primarily, about 14% of his constituents.
Horse feathers!

"Negating a premise." One of your own fabrication, you fail to add.

"Never would have noticed".....The lady doth protest too much, methinks.

Talk about the "constant drumbeat of race...black...race...black and false narratives"---mixed with the always hefty doses of generalized slurs & racist tropes--- and little tiny stories that are not so clever but are so very transparently ignorant.

Do you ever stop to listen to yourself?

Old 04-19-2021, 07:17 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,386,025 times
Quote:
1) Without the false narrative being peddled by the radical leftists about how oppressed blacks are and how evil and "born racist" whites are, I never would have noticed. (I certainly wouldn't have counted!)

3) Even if the percentage of affluent blacks who can afford Gucci is small (as is the percentage of whites), most blacks are middle class and could certainly buy one at MACY's or JCPenney.

4) There is a subset of blacks (subset!) who are impoverished high school dropouts hanging out on the corner doing drugs by day and engaging in gang warfare and other crime by night.

Conclusion: Blacks should not be presented as helpless, oppressed victims around whom the entire focus of political policy is centered. It's a lie, pushed by Democrats to obtain and maintain power.
You're cherry picking a very specific case that doesn't sound very representative. Are you saying that THIS case trumps (no, not THAT Trump!) all other socioeconomic data there is? Seriously? Not buyin' what yer sellin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies