Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 01:43 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrombopulosMichael View Post
It's human nature in modern capitalist society to wanna flaunt wealth. Even if they can't afford it. Materialism is always thrown in our faces.

Out of 14 people OP observed, maybe like 2 of them were actually rich?
Perhaps, but I don't gel with the "got it baby, flaunt it" mentality.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:47 PM

4,395 posts, read 1,703,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
1) Without the false narrative being peddled by the radical leftists about how oppressed blacks are and how evil and "born racist" whites are, I never would have noticed. (I certainly wouldn't have counted!)

2) Obviously, there are plenty of blacks who can afford Gucci. (I myself would never pay $1000 or whatever they charge for a purse.)

3) Even if the percentage of affluent blacks who can afford Gucci is small (as is the percentage of whites), most blacks are middle class and could certainly buy one at MACY's or JCPenney.

4) There is a subset of blacks (subset!) who are impoverished high school dropouts hanging out on the corner doing drugs by day and engaging in gang warfare and other crime by night.

Conclusion: Blacks should not be presented as helpless, oppressed victims around whom the entire focus of political policy is centered. It's a lie, pushed by Democrats to obtain and maintain power.
It won’t be long before you start another thread talking about how poor blacks are poor because they spend their welfare money on Gucci bags instead of food/housing/skills/etc.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:52 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,723,379 times
More and more black people are waking up to what crap the Dems are selling and the general narrative that black people can't seem to be able to do the most basic things like get ID so we have to dumb things down for them BS.

The excuses and nonsense some are putting forward about why we shouldn't have voter ID laws and how they oppress minority communities is just plain old flat out lies.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:54 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
You must not know much about purses. I guess I wouldn't either if I wasn't married for 20 years. I just bought a bag for my wife for her birthday. It's her 50th, so I wanted it to be something special. I would have loved to have only paid $1K for it. That is dirt cheap.

And she hates the ones with the logo's on them. She says they are tacky. So I ended up spending a small fortune on a bag that nobody will know costs a small fortune, except for people who know about hand bags.
Ahh I guarantee you folks that care will know that bag and what it is worth.

I'm not a fan of logo bags -- cheap or expensive.

And all that matters you and your wife are happy with your birthday treat.

And yes -- as far as high end -- a thousand is not much.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:01 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,030,238 times
I can't imagine seeing a line of people going into a store, taking note of their race and then ranting about it.

You might be racist if that triggered you that much.

There may be 14 wealthy black people in the USA. I suspect there are more. On one hand we insist they pick themselves up and become rich and then we slam the whole race when they do.

I know that there are lots of white people who spend thousands on their handbags. I don't. Does it mean that we are lying about the middle class and whites.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:01 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,542,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Wait, wait, lemme guess... they paid for everything with FOOD STAMPS and then drove off in a BRAND NEW MERCEDES!
Only 8 of them.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:02 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
did you read the article? I'm guessing you didn't.

hygiene
Quote:
Black folks also love to spend their money on beauty and grooming products, shelling out about $573.6 million on an annual basis for “personal soap and bath needs.” That was about 19 percent higher than any other demographic.
food
Quote:
Food is also another shopping sector that Black folks spend liberally on. According to Nielsen’s report, “soul food” is a major driver for “African American consumers’ top grocery purchases,” including certain brands like “Quaker grits ($19 million); Louisiana Fish Fry ($11 million); Glory Greens (frozen and fresh, $9.5 million combined) and Jay’s Potato Chips (nearly $2.7 million).”
charity
Quote:
But it’s not all selfish consumerism on the part of the Black dollar. A study from 2012 revealed that African Americans donate a larger share of their income to charities than any other group in the nation.

“We have been givers since the beginning of time,” Tracey Webb, founder of Washington D.C-based Black Benefactors, previously told NewsOne. “From our communities in Africa to the Underground Railroad and the Civil Rights Movement, Black collective giving is something that’s inherent in us.”
and the only mention of luxury items was some un-named survey with zero context.
Quote:
We also like to spend lavishly at high-end department stores, with 63 percent of Black folks saying in a survey they like to buy from Saks Fifth Avenue, 45 percent at Neiman Marcus (45%) and 24 percent at Bloomingdales.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:04 PM

18,471 posts, read 15,259,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Ahh I guarantee you folks that care will know that bag and what it is worth.

I'm not a fan of logo bags -- cheap or expensive.

And all that matters you and your wife are happy with your birthday treat.

And yes -- as far as high end -- a thousand is not much.
In my opinion, all that matters is how it makes the owner feel. If you look at it, and it makes you feel good, assuming the cost isn't an issue to you, then it is worth it. And I think this is something everyone can relate to. For some people, it is a bag, for others it is a car, or a watch, or whatever you happen to be into. And since we all have our own "thing" that makes us happy, it's really not anyone else's business to judge.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:09 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovesick_Giraffe View Post
Such riveting studies you are conducting.

You came to a conclusion of 44million people via observing 14 individuals?

Big brain stuff right here folks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrombopulosMichael View Post
And this is your attempt to make a judgement about an entire population of people based on 14 people you saw at the mall...
Some people don't seem to have a good grasp of the concept of a "sample." It's when you take a small subset of some larger group and attempt to determine how the overall group would think or say or do, based on what you observed in your sample. This is how political polling is done, for example.

What Rachel is saying is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Conclusion: Blacks should not be presented as helpless, oppressed victims around whom the entire focus of political policy is centered. It's a lie, pushed by Democrats to obtain and maintain power.
Her anecdotal evidence is that not all black people are helpless victims. Her evidence was that a number of them were waiting to enter a Gucci store, a place that is widely known for selling expensive luxury goods. Something else that I noticed, that Rachel didn't comment on, was that ALL 14 people in line were black. Unless this mall happened to be located in a predominantly black area, one would have expected to see at least a few white or Asian or Hispanic people in line too, right? One could conclude from this that black people, on average, are wealthier than other groups. We of course know that this is not the case. But her anecdote is an illustration that there are certainly some number of black people, in numbers disproportionate to their share of the overall population, who can afford luxury goods.

Old 04-19-2021, 02:11 PM

24,646 posts, read 9,472,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
did you read the article? I'm guessing you didn't.

hygiene

food

charity

and the only mention of luxury items was some un-named survey with zero context.
Wow.

So we have enough for charity but not enough for an ID

Clearly you didn’t get the point of the post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies