Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2021, 08:13 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,484,535 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I have never seen so many help wanted signs in my life. We have stores and restaurants closing early, closing certain days of the week, and those that remain open have over worked employees, slower service due to lack of help, etc. When you talk to these establishments they say they just cant get people to work. After all, when you make more under Biden's unemployment policies, why would you?
In most states the total unemployment payout, including with an extra Federal boost, is not a decent living wage, and everyone knows that is temporary.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:13 AM

4,295 posts, read 2,776,484 times
Some might consider $ 2300/month a living wage (I don't), which is the MAX you can be getting in FL with the federal kicker (which has recently ended).

However, it is more than some people were making while working full-time, so I think it is a valid argument to say that some are "choosing" to stay home. I don't think it is fair to generalize that to assume everyone is, though.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:14 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,271,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I have never seen so many help wanted signs in my life. We have stores and restaurants closing early, closing certain days of the week, and those that remain open have over worked employees, slower service due to lack of help, etc. When you talk to these establishments they say they just cant get people to work. After all, when you make more under Biden's unemployment policies, why would you?
Bingo...and they’ll continue to not work until the free stuff runs out.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:14 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,527,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/u/u6-rate.asp

U6 rate (always higher) dropped from 22% to 10% and the U3 went from 14% to 6%. Clearly if people were being paid to stay home, both numbers would not have dropped by over 50%.

Rachel has no idea what she's talking about. But she's really good with conjecture.
If you have something to say to me, say it. Don’t talk about me as if I’m a non-entity.

And again, LIBBIE, the reason the unemployment rate is so low is because the government is paying people not to actively seek jobs.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:15 AM

8,609 posts, read 2,317,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Mainstream con/Republican thought is a permanent underclass socially engineered by the government is a necessary mechanism of society.

As a business owner and capitalist I find it vomit-inducing.
bull ****.

Mainstream Republican/conservative thought is to provide a pathway and an opportunity to those willing to work for it.

Even a HS dropout that started at McD's can work their way past burger flipper and up the organization, or to a different fast-food company.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:17 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,271,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
If you have something to say to me, say it. Don’t talk about me as if I’m a non-entity.

And again, LIBBIE, the reason the unemployment rate is so low is because the government is paying people not to actively seek jobs.
Im pretty sure that if they are receiving unemployment insurance they are counted in the unemployment stats.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:19 AM

2,335 posts, read 818,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post

Yawn, I guess you don't understand English either as it was spelled out for you. Sorry, you've got nothing but conjecture to back up your claim. The numbers don't support you. Sometimes you actually have to defend nonsensical talking points instead of parroting what you heard.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:19 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,527,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
Some might consider $ 2300/month a living wage (I don't), which is the MAX you can be getting in FL with the federal kicker (which has recently ended).

However, it is more than some people were making while working full-time, so I think it is a valid argument to say that some are "choosing" to stay home. I don't think it is fair to generalize that to assume everyone is, though.
A lot are....

And plenty of people were earning $12 - $13 an hour (about double min wage), or around $2000 a month. That are clearly better off staying home, taking OPM.

But what about people earning, say, $16 an hour, or around $2700 a month. Are they going to go back to work for what amounts to an extra $400 a month? (And that excludes the cost of commuting.)

The way the libs have it set up is that anyone previously earning $30,000 a year at less is being incentivized NOT to work.

Old 06-07-2021, 08:20 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,961,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
They could start paying living wages.
Are you willing to pay steak prices for a burger and fries? If not then shut it. All these restaurants will have to raise prices of wages Go up and then people like you will complain about feeling ripped off. Do you double your tip at restaurants to compensate for them not getting paid a living wage?

Old 06-07-2021, 08:21 AM

4,233 posts, read 3,777,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
In most states the total unemployment payout, including with an extra Federal boost, is not a decent living wage, and everyone knows that is temporary.
If all these jobs are available why are these unemployment policies in place? No incentive to get a job if you can just sit around and collect. These unemployment benefits are only hurting American businesses at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies