Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2021, 02:13 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,936,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Of course not all of them but some did. Apps like robinhood (which sucks by the way), webull, coinbase, uniswap, etc., made it very easy for everyday people to make money. Like you could have put $100 into some coins back in January 2021 and could have turned that into $20k+ during mid-May before this current bear trap by just holding. Why go back to making tacos or cleaning restrooms for $13 an hour when you can make money this easily while living on unemployment? It's why Elon Musk is being memed so hard by the media because he's being used to introduce more crypto regulations that when compared to those on stocks is pretty unfair.
Yep. My nephew is this. Had a lowly $15/hr job to get through college and left during covid. Wasn't worth the risk vs reward. Ended up making $$$$ on crypto and a few choice stocks. He made in 18 months what would have taken him years at his job. He has no plans to go back to that wage type of work. Employers are naively clueless about the current state of affairs their potential labor pool is in.

Old 06-07-2021, 02:17 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,224,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
The employers are just as picky about who they hire as they ever were. Around here businesses were getting hundreds of applications per job opening but still complaining that they couldn't find employees.
What was the job opening for?

Old 06-07-2021, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I heard there are a lot of cheap tippers down in Florida (senior citizens). If you don't tip well, don't complain if there are no wait staff in you favorite restaurant.
LMAO. Another priceless allegation.

Who’s complaining? Florida isn’t a whiny lib state and DeSantis canceled the free stuff.

Old 06-07-2021, 02:26 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
I have a neighbor who has to be taking the extra unemployment and child care tax credits and whatever else because she hasn't gone back to doing hair despite TX opening back up, and the vaccine becoming widely available didn't change that either.

I have a feeling that around the time (end of June) Abbott ends the extra payments she will have a sudden interest in doing hair again.

It is not just restaurant workers, it's anyone who can get away with it. Another neighbor I know well enough to know exactly what she did, she was straight up taking a break. A paid vaca, but 300/week extra was nothing compared to her earning potential so she went back to work months ago.

If the 600/week had continued she might have stayed on paid vaca.

I don't blame her. Her husband died from COVID, she almost died from COVID, she had a lot of healing to do and in this country we don't give people paid grieving your young husband's death PTO or help widows get back on their feet very well.

Old 06-07-2021, 02:30 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,310,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
No doubt on that one.

Not to mention, what are we talking about here? Right before the pandemic the number of job openings was about 5 million. During normal times that number would average around 6 million. There are 165 million people in the workforce. We're talking about a little over 1% difference on the aggregate. It's a mountain out of a molehill but fun for people to be overly critical of it. The restaurant industry is a small portion of the overall workforce. Clearly people have gone back to work in droves, as evidenced by the U3 and U6 numbers. I don't doubt many left the industry You're not going to just sit around when you aren't getting replacement wages (and that hasn't been the case since August). People still have bills to pay and despite the nonsense you read on-line, the eviction moratorium did not allow people not to pay rent on anything they owed (even if they were late on rent). I had a couple of tenants find that out the hard way when they moved out being past due on their rent (not to mention they didn't give a proper 30 days notice). They thought they would get back their whole security deposit and they didn't. I also suspect you may have had some early retirement from germaphobes who don't want to be around the public.
so we should already do away with the additional benefits, and end the eviction moratorium, and expect all those evictees to pay their back rent. Cancel any changes/increases to child tax credits. Any other "economic help during pandemic" measure still in place.

Yes?

Old 06-07-2021, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka_757 View Post
Florida is an interesting case. Are you seeing shortages of food service workers there? If you live there, of course. I’m not sure where Cranberry Township is, but given your username is Erieguy, perhaps you are from farther north.
There’s a shortage of workers everywhere. DeSantis just recently canceled the free stuff so certainly expect folks back to work if they want to pay their bills.

I have 2 residences, and erieguy was the name of a boat.

Old 06-07-2021, 02:34 PM

8,609 posts, read 2,310,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
Yep. My nephew is this. Had a lowly $15/hr job to get through college and left during covid. Wasn't worth the risk vs reward. Ended up making $$$$ on crypto and a few choice stocks. He made in 18 months what would have taken him years at his job. He has no plans to go back to that wage type of work. Employers are naively clueless about the current state of affairs their potential labor pool is in.
how much money did he start with that made so much that his career job will take years to equal?

Old 06-07-2021, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicipher View Post
No doubt on that one.

Not to mention, what are we talking about here? Right before the pandemic the number of job openings was about 5 million. During normal times that number would average around 6 million. There are 165 million people in the workforce. We're talking about a little over 1% difference on the aggregate. It's a mountain out of a molehill but fun for people to be overly critical of it. The restaurant industry is a small portion of the overall workforce. Clearly people have gone back to work in droves, as evidenced by the U3 and U6 numbers. I don't doubt many left the industry You're not going to just sit around when you aren't getting replacement wages (and that hasn't been the case since August). People still have bills to pay and despite the nonsense you read on-line, the eviction moratorium did not allow people not to pay rent on anything they owed (even if they were late on rent). I had a couple of tenants find that out the hard way when they moved out being past due on their rent (not to mention they didn't give a proper 30 days notice). They thought they would get back their whole security deposit and they didn't. I also suspect you may have had some early retirement from germaphobes who don't want to be around the public.
So why are there a record number of jobs available if people are returning in droves but so many are still collecting free stuff?
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u-...re-11620742194

Old 06-07-2021, 02:42 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,263,996 times
“business owners spent decades convincing workers that they only deserved minimum wage & then the pandemic hit & those same workers saw first hand that actually, the world comes to a screeching halt without them”
https://twitter.com/abby4thepeople/s...95438236725252

Old 06-07-2021, 02:45 PM

2,335 posts, read 815,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyebee Teepee View Post
so we should already do away with the additional benefits, and end the eviction moratorium, and expect all those evictees to pay their back rent. Cancel any changes/increases to child tax credits. Any other "economic help during pandemic" measure still in place.

Yes?
?

I was stating plausible reasons to a question posed and an elaboration on some of the rules in place. Not sure why you would come up with a bevy of questions that don't really have anything to do with what I was talking about. I gave no opinion whatsoever on economic help. Just trying to put to rest some misnomers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies